PDA

View Full Version : Forum upgraded

Fraser
2009-Aug-01, 11:14 PM
It's up to 3.8.3 now. As always, please let me know if there are any problems.

Swift
2009-Aug-02, 03:25 AM
I've having problems with the little "buttons" for color, font, underline, etc. in both the Quick Reply box and in the regular edit screens. They don't work - nothing happens. Same thing with the smilies. When I float my cursor over them, they say what they should do, but nothing happens when I click.

Now, I'm at home and have a painfully slow connection, but that never has lead to this before. And if I hand type in the code, it works fine.

a1call
2009-Aug-02, 04:54 AM
This is :mad::confused:
test.

Color

Everything seems to work for me except the color thing. There used to be a drop down list of colors now there is not. I am using chrome.:liar:

ETA: I think the color botton issue has been around since well before yesterday so it might not be related to the update.

ETA-II: The color thing is also dysfunctional in Firefox.

mahesh
2009-Aug-02, 09:50 AM
ahem...the colour box has always cascaded down in the ordinary, i.e., quick reply mode and editing mode. It has not worked in the 'advanced mode', unless of course one types in the code....

I wasn't aware of it having problems with Firefox. Works okay with our Firefox.

Nowhere Man
2009-Aug-02, 12:13 PM
ahem...the colour box has always cascaded down in the ordinary, i.e., quick reply mode and editing mode. It has not worked in the 'advanced mode', unless of course one types in the code....

I wasn't aware of it having problems with Firefox. Works okay with our Firefox.

Firefox 3.5 on Windows XP. Yeah, the color box does not drop down except as a small empty square. I tried the standard and enhanced editor styles. I'll try to put in an enlarged screen cap.

Fred

HenrikOlsen
2009-Aug-02, 03:33 PM
Yep, that behavior started with the previous upgrade, not this one. In the simple Quick Reply thingie it works as it should.

Swift
2009-Aug-02, 03:55 PM
Well I'm still having the same problem (and this is all the buttons, not just the old color problem).

HenrikOlsen
2009-Aug-02, 04:09 PM
Do you have some sort of javascript blocker than may need to have en exception added?

hhEb09'1
2009-Aug-02, 04:43 PM
Do you have some sort of javascript blocker than may need to have en exception added?Weirdly, I do, on this computer from work, and I always had to OK the exceptions every session. Since the upgrade, I don't, for the URL insert.

tdvance
2009-Aug-02, 05:03 PM
It's either a glitch or my memory, the "Dear Scientific American: Why?" thread seems now to have begun yesterday, yet it seems to me that it began several days ago. But then I think rain is wet, so who am I to judge? :)

slang
2009-Aug-02, 10:15 PM
Well I'm still having the same problem (and this is all the buttons, not just the old color problem).

I have the same problem at work, but before the upgrade. IIRC no difference between IE and Firefox. I suspect there's some HTML sanitizing going on there, between my PC and the internet. I know there's a Novell Bordermangler involved somewhere.

HenrikOlsen
2009-Aug-03, 12:16 AM
I've seen cases where a virus checker though one of the java-script files needed for the editor was a virus, if there's a false positive that's getting sanitized, functions needed by the editor could be missing.

Swift
2009-Aug-03, 12:39 PM
I have the same problem at work, but before the upgrade. IIRC no difference between IE and Firefox. I suspect there's some HTML sanitizing going on there, between my PC and the internet. I know there's a Novell Bordermangler involved somewhere.
I'm at work now and no problems (see bold!). Might be something new from my home anti-virus software or something with the upgrade. Anyone have a work-around?

Jeff Root
2009-Aug-03, 01:55 PM
This is a test I don't remember the color selection EVER working before.
When I wanted color I always had to quote another post that used colors
to remind me what the command was, then guess what the available color
names might be. This time I got a nice drop-down box on the Quick Reply.
All the functions appear to work.

I'm still using IE 5.5 in Windows 98SE, but I'll be switching to some 21st
Century browser in Ubuntu 64-bit Jaunty Jackalope within a few days,
hopefully. I've got computer parts sitting all around me.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Nowhere Man
2009-Aug-03, 04:46 PM
Two more cents: I just tried IE 6.0.29xx and the color box is still a small empty box. I'm using Avira AntiVir -- dunno if that's the problem or not.

Fred

Fazor
2009-Aug-03, 06:03 PM
Mine works fine. I'm just not a fan of color anywhere but in the sig line (and that's an exception I had to add just to reduce hypocrisy.)

Does the forum upgrade bring any new tools or options or fun gizmos?

Swift
2009-Aug-03, 06:13 PM
Other than the bug I'm having (and I don't know if this is from the upgrade), the only other thing I've noticed is that in my PM Inbox, when I am looking at a message, the Quick Reply box is already filled in with a quote of the message I'm looking at. Not a big deal, but a nice feature for me.

mugaliens
2009-Aug-05, 05:43 AM

I have the problem with the color drop-down, only, but in both regular and advanced modes.

speedfreek
2009-Aug-05, 09:24 PM
No problems with colour here!

Actually that was done with the quick reply box, when I go to advanced, I get the same problems as Nowhere Man, just a little white box in the drop down menu.

(Vista SP2, Firefox 3.0.12)

thoth II
2009-Aug-12, 05:11 PM
how many posts do I need to join the esteemed order of Kilopi?

What the heck is Kilopi? just seems esteemed

Nick Theodorakis
2009-Aug-12, 05:16 PM
how many posts do I need to join the esteemed order of Kilopi?

What the heck is Kilopi? just seems esteemed

3142. IOW, 1000 times pi. Presumably named for the asteroid kilopi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3142_Kilopi).

Nick

thoth II
2009-Aug-12, 05:28 PM
3142. IOW, 1000 times pi. Presumably named for the asteroid kilopi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3142_Kilopi).

Nick

Wow! I'll never get there. Kudos to the people that posted that many.

Kaptain K
2009-Aug-12, 07:14 PM

Nick

Actually named for the first member to reach that number.

HenrikOlsen
2009-Aug-12, 07:27 PM
Who was named for the asteroid:)

ToSeek
2009-Aug-13, 04:27 AM
Actually named for the first member to reach that number.

Actually, no. GrapesOfWrath was the first. He then started a new username (back when we allowed such things) as kilopi.

Kaptain K
2009-Aug-13, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the correction.

HenrikOlsen
2009-Oct-23, 02:44 AM
I've recently noticed that the links to previous quotes are now in the broken by design "permalink" format, where the they used to be in a proper format that could actually be used by other people, which was how I used to make references to posts.
Now there's no longer any automated way to construct a link to a post that'll show the whole page as context as well as work for people with other page length settings.