PDA

View Full Version : The Space Bog!

Glom
2009-Aug-03, 05:10 PM
There was a time when NASA kept schtum on matters of biological processes. Now, it prepares mission patches for the facilities as can be seen in this video.

http://www.space.com/common/media/show/player.php?show_id=26

grant hutchison
2009-Aug-03, 05:48 PM
Maybe our North American and European cousins will need a translation of "bog", same as they did for "karzy (http://www.bautforum.com/science-technology/90884-escape-alcarzy.html)"?

How many more British slang expressions for "toilet" do you have up your sleeve, by the way? ;)

Grant Hutchison

Antice
2009-Aug-03, 08:08 PM
Guess I'm not to old to learn another word for a such an important room in any building.
err... facility.

That patch was kinda cool.. i got to get me one to replace the one on the door to the loo at home.

Glom
2009-Aug-03, 08:42 PM
Guess I'm not to old to learn another word for a such an important room in any building.
err... facility.

That patch was kinda cool.. i got to get me one to replace the one on the door to the loo at home.

Agreed.

Here it is. (http://www.collectspace.com/review/sts126_outhousepatch02.jpg)

JonClarke
2009-Aug-03, 10:34 PM
Maybe our North American and European cousins will need a translation of "bog", same as they did for "karzy (http://www.bautforum.com/science-technology/90884-escape-alcarzy.html)"?

How many more British slang expressions for "toilet" do you have up your sleeve, by the way? ;)

Grant Hutchison

In Oz we have dunny, bog, toot (rhymes with in soot), loo, long drop (for a particular type of bush toilet) and a range of others that use words I can't write here...

Jon

Antice
2009-Aug-04, 05:42 AM
Agreed.

Here it is. (http://www.collectspace.com/review/sts126_outhousepatch02.jpg)

I am very much in your eternal debt. :dance:
now to convince wifey that we need to get this printed onto an aluminium plate :D

Skyfire
2009-Aug-04, 11:18 PM

Grant Hutchison

Being pedantic that should be "khazi" .... and of course you have mentioned "bog", and there is "loo" and "crapper" as well. What about the expression "I'm just off to point percy at the porcelain". Then when you are suffering from an alcohol overdose you may refer to "calling to Hughie on the big white telephone".

Skyfire
2009-Aug-04, 11:24 PM
I forgot we sometimes also refer to it just as the wc, and from the North of England it is referred to as the "netty". Also it can just be referred to as the "lav", as in "I'm on the lav!" - as in lavatory.

grant hutchison
2009-Aug-04, 11:25 PM
Being pedantic that should be "khazi" ....I can only report that the Oxford English Dictionary, home of pedantry, offers no such spelling:
karzy slang.

(ˈkɑːzɪ)

Also carsey, carsy, karsey, karzey.

[Corruption of It. casa house.]

= water-closet.

1961 Partridge Dict. Slang Suppl. 1029/1 Carsey,.. a w.c. 1965 Daily Mail 2 Oct. 5/4 Where do you spend a penny? (a) Toilet.. (d) Karzy. 1966 D. Francis Flying Finish ix. 118, I was in the cockpit most of the time... I went aft to the karzy once. 1967 J. Burke Till Death us do Part v. 84 Have you seen the carsy? Just a bucket with a seat on top. 1968 T. E. B. Clarke Trail of Serpent xiii. 122 You made a real thorough search? Everywhere? Outhouses, karzey, the lot? 1969 K. Giles Death cracks Bottle iv. 38 Apart from a working pee none of my ladies nor me got out of here. There's only one door to the carsey. 1970 G. F. Newman Sir, You ******* 262 Visits to the karsey.(The asterisks in the last quote are a product of the forum's nanny software, not the OED.)

Grant Hutchison

ETA: It was really a joking rhetorical question aimed at Glom, by the way. Some of your examples above may not be considered entirely family friendly, so we should probably call a halt at this point. :)

Glom
2009-Aug-04, 11:31 PM
Okay, I've just suddenly thought about this: the Space Bog is in the Destiny laboratory?

That is the biggest artillery for the ISS critics. The station toilet is in the main laboratory. And taking up huge amounts of space in it by the looks of it.

Skyfire
2009-Aug-04, 11:33 PM
:)

and in the urban dictionary (dot com) it says:

Khazi : A toilet (usage chiefly British), as in "Richard sat on the khazi and launched a mersey trout" (do you know the colour of the river Mersey?!!! :) )

:)

kleindoofy
2009-Aug-04, 11:36 PM
... What about the expression "I'm just off to point percy at the porcelain". ...
Rumor has it the British also use quaint euphemisms such as "I have to go see a man about a horse" or "I've got to drop a penny" and such.

I wonder what the astronauts say: "comet incoming!" or "off to cure the Andromeda Strain"? ;)

[remembers Churchill: "tell the Lord Privy Seal that I'm sealed to the privy and can only deal with one ... at a time."]

Skyfire
2009-Aug-04, 11:37 PM
ETA: It was really a joking rhetorical question aimed at Glom, by the way. Some of your examples above may not be considered entirely family friendly, so we should probably call a halt at this point. :)

I think all examples are just considered slang, and used by all family members! :) :) :)

grant hutchison
2009-Aug-04, 11:43 PM
and in the urban dictionary (dot com) it says:Forgive my undemocratic preference for the OED's actual documentation, when it comes to pedantry. :)
Whoever wrote the Urban Dictionary entry was, I'd guess, a little misled by the similarity in sound to the word khaki.

Grant Hutchison

eburacum45
2009-Aug-05, 05:52 AM
They may have been misled by the late Spike Milligan, who claimed in Adolf Hitler, My Part in his Downfall that the word 'khazi' (his spelling) came from a Zulu word 'M'Khazi'; a word which he seems to have made up himself.

JonClarke
2009-Aug-09, 11:05 PM
Okay, I've just suddenly thought about this: the Space Bog is in the Destiny laboratory?

That is the biggest artillery for the ISS critics. The station toilet is in the main laboratory. And taking up huge amounts of space in it by the looks of it.

Where would they put it? How big would their design be? How would they fit it into the assembly sequence? Anyone can be a critic. To come up with something that is better is a bit more difficult.

Jon

KaiYeves
2009-Aug-10, 10:48 PM
Maybe "toilet" really is best.

novaderrik
2009-Aug-11, 03:30 AM
Maybe "toilet" really is best.
i think that it is called the "C.O.L.B.E.R.T." on the ISS.. or was that the treadmill?

KaiYeves
2009-Aug-11, 09:23 PM
i think that it is called the "C.O.L.B.E.R.T." on the ISS.. or was that the treadmill?
COLBERT is the treadmill.

Gemini
2009-Aug-11, 09:58 PM
Rumor has it the British also use quaint euphemisms such as "I have to go see a man about a horse" or "I've got to drop a penny" and such.

I wonder what the astronauts say: "comet incoming!" or "off to cure the Andromeda Strain"? ;)

[remembers Churchill: "tell the Lord Privy Seal that I'm sealed to the privy and can only deal with one ... at a time."]

"I have to go fire my phaser"