PDA

View Full Version : This new forum about Mars

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Jan-22, 01:26 AM
Someone recommended a new forum devoted to Mars, and looking over the number of Mars topics, I decided it was a good idea. I moved a bunch of threads here, and for some of them I left shadows (the "Moved" note) in the old forum.

I can't decide if I should move the conspiracy stuff from Against The Mainstream to here or not. If I do, I'll leave a shadow there too.

Enjoy.

Sever
2004-Jan-22, 01:37 AM
Thanks Phil!

Humphrey
2004-Jan-22, 02:16 AM
:-D

SpaceTrekkie
2004-Jan-22, 02:22 AM
Thanx BA 8)

George
2004-Jan-22, 03:22 AM
Great idea. =D>

It should stay fairly active for the next few hundreds years (budget cuts excepted). :)

somerandomguy
2004-Jan-22, 05:35 AM
Super cool idea! Hurray! =D>

Starbuck
2004-Jan-22, 05:39 AM
Hmmm, forums devoted to the Moon, Mars, and... Planet X??!?!!

One of these is not like the other...

rwald
2004-Jan-22, 05:50 AM
Wait! I know! Mars and Planet X orbit the sun, while the Moon orbits another planet!

Do I get a cookie?

Charlie in Dayton
2004-Jan-22, 07:09 AM
http://www.unavowed.net/charlie/cookie2.jpg

Sparks
2004-Jan-22, 09:25 AM
So when do we see forums for the other planets?
Saturn's got Hygens/Cassini coming up (spot the european ;) );
Jupiter's got the "will galileo turn Jupiter into a star" woo-woos and the proposed prometheus probe;
Pluto's got the Pluto Express probe;
Venus has the upcoming Venus Express ESA probe (essentially a second Mars Express we had lying about and wanted to use :D )
The asteroids have NEAP and Stardust and Rosetta....
And so on...

Glom
2004-Jan-22, 11:55 AM
When I first saw it, I thought someone had knicked LC.

Eroica
2004-Jan-22, 12:20 PM
And so on...
NASA: Messenger mission to Mercury (http://discovery.nasa.gov/messenger.html)
ESA and ISAS [Japanese Space Agency]: BepiColombo mission to Mercury (http://www.esa.int/export/esaSC/120391_index_0_m.html)

Argos
2004-Jan-22, 01:05 PM
Someone is very happy about this new forum. Thanks Dr. Plait. :)

rigel
2004-Jan-22, 02:07 PM
Allright! Been gone for a while. Glad you took mine and others suggestions. Looks interesting already.

Andromeda321
2004-Jan-22, 02:15 PM
Yay for Mars! Thanks BA 8) , this forum is much appreciated. :D
Nice name choice btw...

2004-Jan-22, 02:45 PM
I can't decide if I should move the conspiracy stuff from Against The Mainstream to here or not.
Enjoy.

If you allow me, I think you should not. I think this would work better as a mainstream Mars forum.

Argos
2004-Jan-22, 02:53 PM
Guest?! That was me!

I forgot to log in but my post was accepted as a guest. Btw, I did not know that guests were allowed to post...

Glom
2004-Jan-22, 06:39 PM
Guest?! That was me!

I forgot to log in but my post was accepted as a guest. Btw, I did not know that guests were allowed to post...

They shouldn't be. BA forget to alter the settings.

George
2004-Jan-22, 09:59 PM
I can't decide if I should move the conspiracy stuff from Against The Mainstream to here or not. Enjoy.

If you allow me, I think you should not. I think this would work better as a mainstream Mars forum.

I would agree as it looks active enough without all the "hard corn".

Besides, you could always add them later.

Normandy6644
2004-Jan-23, 02:07 PM
Yay for Mars! Thanks BA 8) , this forum is much appreciated. :D
Nice name choice btw...

=D> I second that. Gotta love Ray Bradbury.

Kaptain K
2004-Jan-23, 02:08 PM
Nice name choice btw...
Yeah...Good thing that titles are not copyrightable! 8)

DaveOlden
2004-Jan-23, 06:03 PM
I can't decide if I should move the conspiracy stuff from Against The Mainstream to here or not.
Enjoy.

Martian Chronicles should be free of conspiracy stuff. I'd like to visit this forum and see discussion about what's real, and possible, about Mars.

But then again, how would we peg the incident around the Cydonia formation a few years back? A (now) well known conspiracist accused someone at JPL of distorting the imagery to dismiss all the brou-haha about it. (The Face on Mars)

Was it worthy of further study? That question means more science, and it would, IMO, fit here. (From what I saw of it, I would have put it on a list for future Mars Missions.)

Are they covering up? Questions like that are conspiracist's accusations, and I don't want to read that here. Nor do I want to read assumptions without supporting evidence.

If it's speculation, how about speculation of interesting directions of exploration, and what more we can do on Mars?

Great forum, BA!

Throughout the writing of the this post, I have been pleasantly haunted by the line from Martian Chronicles...

"...we are the Martians."

majic
2004-Jan-27, 03:34 AM
Someone recommended a new forum devoted to Mars, and looking over the number of Mars topics, I decided it was a good idea. I moved a bunch of threads here, and for some of them I left shadows (the "Moved" note) in the old forum.

I can't decide if I should move the conspiracy stuff from Against The Mainstream to here or not. If I do, I'll leave a shadow there too.

Enjoy.

I think that most bad martians in this subforum will prefer starting posts unnerving conspiracy stuff, a way to seperate things. Come to this forum for facts, look at conspiracy stuff in the other forums :D

ArchAngel
2004-Feb-08, 06:04 AM
I think that most bad martians in this subforum will prefer starting posts unnerving conspiracy stuff, a way to seperate things. Come to this forum for facts, look at conspiracy stuff in the other forums

I believe in free speech myself.

Why not one thread each for the conspiracy stuff?

That way it does not clog the forum.

I would hate to see spam at such an orderly forum.

If there are unanswered questions, and conspiracy theories raised the expert debunkers need a chance to disprove them.

Humphrey
2004-Feb-08, 08:45 AM
If there are unanswered questions, and conspiracy theories raised the expert debunkers need a chance to disprove them.

like? Remeber this is a mainly Astronomy forum. So it has to deal directly with astronomy. We do diverge sometimes, but its rare.

Rift
2004-Feb-08, 02:24 PM
We do diverge sometimes, but its rare.

::cough::

:D

Humphrey
2004-Feb-08, 07:03 PM
Depends on your defenition of "Sometimes". :-P

Me, i am very liberal with my translations.

soupdragon2
2004-Feb-11, 07:18 PM

Enjoy.

Further proof that the BABB is part of the conspiracy. :wink:

The best way to control what people think is to narrow the spectrum of debate, but to encourage lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky

callisto601
2004-May-21, 08:15 PM
i love this site! i am new here and looking forward to reading your threads :)

ToSeek
2004-May-21, 08:23 PM
i love this site! i am new here and looking forward to reading your threads :)

Welcome to the BABB! Enjoy!

rowel
2004-Jun-19, 06:46 AM
I'm new too. Welcome Calisto601 , I thought this thread was supposed to be about Mars? :lol: Interesting board

2004-Aug-11, 03:46 PM
Nice name choice btw...
Yeah...Good thing that titles are not copyrightable! 8) :evil:

Mellow
2004-Aug-19, 10:36 AM
I'm losing my grip on HUb'
I thought I was staring to understand a few months ago
but I'm lost again.
HUb' link to a bulleting board was interesting
oh my head

2004-Nov-16, 03:29 PM
I'm losing my grip on HUb'
I thought I was staring to understand a few months ago
but I'm lost again.
HUb' link to a bulleting board was interesting
oh my head
BROWN? brown proves {maybe} to be a tricky color for computers ?
Anyway1? I thin { after looking up some planet X stuff using a Mars
reference that there exists an upcomming Mars, Venus conjunction
near a star on Dec 4th{ish} later this year..

So i'll use this event in my search for Px as an ocult devise
meaning in this instance see if STAR in question vanishes
at that time.. the probabilities of course are astronomical

i'll admit that However i'll try to remember to at least look{maybe}?