PDA

View Full Version : Marilyn Vos Savant view on the Moon Hoax

jrkeller
2002-Apr-04, 08:15 PM
In my Sunday Parade Magazine (insert in the Sunday newspaper), there is always a half feature called Ask Marilyn. Basically, Q and A with a smart person. Marilyn Vos Savant is listed as the person with the Highest IQ.

Anyway, in the March 24th issue, she was asked,

"Is there any point of discussion on which all people will agree?"

Her response was this,

"I think that there is nothing on which all people will agree, no matter how absolute and seemingly obvious. Some otherwise reasonable even believe that the U.S. Moon landing was a hoax. Others depend on constant disagreement for their very identies in life. "

Reminds me of some HB's we all have heard of.

odysseus0101
2002-Apr-04, 08:42 PM
"I think that there is nothing on which all people will agree, no matter how absolute and seemingly obvious..."

I disagree.

johnwitts
2002-Apr-04, 08:47 PM
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

DaveC
2002-Apr-04, 08:48 PM
lol - good answer, although undoubtedly some would disagree with that assessment.

DaveC
2002-Apr-04, 08:50 PM
And to johnwitts - I disagree with you that it's THAT funny.

(I only made this post so I could cease to be a Newbie)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DaveC on 2002-04-04 15:51 ]</font>

johnwitts
2002-Apr-04, 09:09 PM
Yes it is.

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Twice!

AstroMike
2002-Apr-04, 09:17 PM
"I think that there is nothing on which all people will agree, no matter how absolute and seemingly obvious..."

This is somewhat ludicrous. The Apollo Moon Hoax theory is not absolute and seemingly obvious to a lot of people.

Silas
2002-Apr-04, 10:05 PM
On 2002-04-04 16:17, AstroMike wrote:

This is somewhat ludicrous. The Apollo Moon Hoax theory is not absolute and seemingly obvious to a lot of people.

I think that's the point; the fact that the Apollo landings were REAL is "absolute and seemingly obvious" (strange grammatical construct there) and yet there are people who doubt it.

I guess it's like imagining that Elvis is alive, or that little gray men from space are kidnapping people: pretty obviously untrue, but there are still some who believe it.

Silas

Mr. X
2002-Apr-04, 11:26 PM
Whaddya talkin' bout'! Elvis IS alive! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr. X on 2002-04-04 18:27 ]</font>

Taks
2002-Apr-08, 07:42 PM
I had a colleague argue, emphatically, that
ALL men look better in a suit. Being that
this is a 'point of view' argument (and I
couldn't resist, being the shorts wearing
laugh in the face of authority kind of guy
I am), I had to disagree with him. Nothing
I could say could convince him otherwise and
the same could be said from his point of
view. The moral? No matter how stupid the
argument, some people just don't want to
believe the contrary is possible /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
Mark

Silas
2002-Apr-08, 09:23 PM
On 2002-04-08 15:42, Taks wrote:
I had a colleague argue, emphatically, that
ALL men look better in a suit.

Can you provide a convincing and non-trivial counter-example? (e.g., it isn't fair taking a person with extreme bodily proportions and just jamming him into something off the rack at Sears...)

Yes, the claim, being an universal, is a tricky one to defend. Universals are "houses of cards" because they can be brought down with a single counter-example. Most of us who have been in BBS discussions for a while learn to make generalized claims -- "With very few exceptions, all men look better in suits."

Which latter statement, at least, I would say is true...

Silas

SeanF
2002-Apr-09, 11:22 AM
Well, I think the real issue in Taks' example is not the universality of "all men" but the subjectiveness of "look better."

Personally, I think Taks met the definition in his last statement by arguing the subject to begin with! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif