PDA

View Full Version : A suggestion about the new member intro thread

grant hutchison
2009-Aug-17, 04:45 PM
Is it worth changing the name of the new members' intro thread to something like "New Member? Introduce yourself on this thread!"?
It seems that the title "Introduce yourself! In here ...", positioned at the top of the Forum Introductions and Feedback section, may be misleading some folk to make their introduction with a new thread posted in that section, which then has to be shifted to the appropriate thread. There have certainly been a few recently, which is what prompts this post.
Just a thought ...

Edit: Gah! I gave this thread a really, really stupid title, given that I'm making a suggestion intended to reduce confusion. :doh::doh::doh:

Grant Hutchison
<Swift waves his magic wand and makes it all better>

grant hutchison
2009-Aug-17, 05:17 PM
Thank you Swift. :)
For the curious I'll reveal that I originally entitled this thread "New member intro thread": a positively brilliant title for a thread in which I suggest people are confused by the title of the new member intro thread. :lol:

Grant Hutchison

Swift
2009-Aug-17, 05:25 PM
IIRC, we've changed the title and location at least once. My gut is that no matter what we call that thread, or where we put it, some people will miss it. I don't think there is a magic fix.

If only we could format thread titles...
NEW MEMBER? Introduce yourself in this thread.

ToSeek
2009-Aug-17, 05:58 PM
IIRC, we've changed the title and location at least once. My gut is that no matter what we call that thread, or where we put it, some people will miss it. I don't think there is a magic fix.

If only we could format thread titles...
NEW MEMBER? Introduce yourself in this thread.

I can't do the red, but I can do the rest of it.

grant hutchison
2009-Aug-17, 06:12 PM
IIRC, we've changed the title and location at least once. My gut is that no matter what we call that thread, or where we put it, some people will miss it I was suggesting that people were actually reading the title, but misunderstanding the "in here" part. "Here" is wherever you're standing at the moment, and if you're viewing the thread title list within Forum Introductions and Feedback, then it's natural enough to make your post right where you are, especially since the relevant thread is stickied at the top of that section.

Grant Hutchison

slang
2009-Aug-17, 10:26 PM
Swift banned for claiming his wand is mag.. oh, wrong thread.

Agreed on the new new members thread thread title. Better communication through proper word choice!

grant hutchison
2009-Aug-18, 12:18 AM
Oh.
I see my suggestion has been implemented. :)
Close the thread, if you like.
The sooner my commentary on my own idiocy scrolls off the bottom of the first window, the happier I'll be.

Grant Hutchison

Tinaa
2009-Aug-18, 01:00 AM
closed