PDA

View Full Version : Exploring a Parallel Earth

Phobos
2002-Apr-05, 05:26 PM
I was just playing arround with ideas about parallel universes when it struck me that there may be a mechanism under which we may be able to "observe" a parallel planet Earth.

Before I say any more I think I should explain what I mean by a parallel planet Earth. If running parallel to this universe, there was another universe, that only differed from ours by some not understood extra spacial dimension, then it may be reasonable to assume that gravity spread it's infuence across all dimensions. If this were true, and there were other parallel universes then we may expect to find a parallel planet Earth gravitationally locked in position with our planet Earth.

Under such a circumstance we might expect the planets to be geographically similar, but they could have evolved very differently.

On one Earth a mountain may rise, but whilst the gravitational pull on the parallel Earth might encourage a similar mountain to form, the compartively weak gravitational field of the mountain may only have a subtle effect.

Should it turn out that there was more to these ideas than idle speculation, we might actually start to image a Earth based observatory which was designed to pick up the subtle gravitational differences between the two Earths.

Assuming that there were not so many parallel Earths as to make detailed mapping impossible, we could start to image how improved designs could then start to see structures and objects from the parallel planet.

OK so the idea is purely theoretical and probably belongs to science fiction, but its an interesting idea.

Any thoughts ?

Phobos

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phobos on 2002-04-05 12:28 ]</font>

dx
2002-Apr-05, 07:56 PM
Interestin idea. Could this "gravitational influence" by other dimensions account for the missing mass in the universe. Is it possible that gravity is able to permeate between these other dimensions whereas the other fundamental forces cannot. I don't know but I could be pulled in that direction /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

roidspop
2002-Apr-06, 11:57 PM
Mmm. Interestin' indeed.

Maybe we've got a vast set of ghost-like objects superimposed on each other and the sum of it all is what we perceive as "mountain" or "we"? Might account for inertia, trying to "stretch" this set of ghost objects out while accelerating something. Maybe those "virtual" particles are just the fuzzy, probabalistic edges of realities we can't directly perceive...

It all adds up!

Russ
2002-Apr-09, 10:27 PM
There is an article on the possibility of multi-dimentionalism the May issue of "Astronomy Magazine". It has little to do with what you are talking about but may give you a feel for what the pro's are thinking along this line. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

DaveC
2002-Apr-11, 04:33 PM
Read Stephen Hawkoing's book "The Universe in a Nutshell" wherein he discusses the concept of parallel universes. It is becoming mainstream belief that this is in fact the way things are.
In simple terms, the theory flows from the conclusion that a particle has an infinite variety of paths to follow in moving from point A to point B. Traditionally, in quantum mechanics, it was assumed that the paths were mutually exclusive - that is, the particle would have a probability of following any particular path, and the sum of the probabilities would be 1. More modern theory is that the particle follows all possible paths, and each path represents a different reality for the particle. The path we observe, or the paths that our probability calculations say are the likely ones to be followed, can all exist in our universe - but only one at a time. All the others are parallel universe paths.

So Phobos's parallel earth probably does exist, in every one of an infinite variety of forms. This stuff hurts my head!

roidspop
2002-Apr-11, 08:39 PM
Does an aspirin you take in another universe help in this one?

DaveC
2002-Apr-12, 05:24 PM
" Does an aspirin you take in another universe help in this one?"

When I used my interdimensional self-awareness communicator to ask the question of my alterselves, they all said "What's aspirin?????". The alternate DaveCs use a variety of headache remedies, which they all agreed to try so I could determine whether my headache would be impacted. All that happened is I have become delusional, no doubt from synergistic effects of numerous headache remedies.

Phobos
2002-Apr-12, 08:36 PM
Just be gratefull you only have one head in this universe (whoever said two heads are better than one never had a headache).

Phobos