PDA

View Full Version : Are They Going To Eat My Brain?

BigDon
2009-Sep-12, 07:39 AM
Yeah, I was mixing up a batch of beneficial nemetodes today to fight off: Cranefly, fleas, cutworms, ants and numerous woodboring and pupating and diapausing insects and during the final stir after allowing the mix to soak in a gallon of water to activate, like bread yeast, I got a big dollop in my eye 'cause I was stirring in an odd shaped container.. and a rather spectacular reaction I might.

My right eye when just berserk gushing tears, enough to be note worthy. Even my older brother said "What the hell is wrong with your eye?" When I said "Nematodes" he said, "Alright, be a smartaleck." But then it got better, though I had the oddest sensation, like when fruitflies or gnats are buzzing too close to your eye, for about fifteen minutes afterward.

So I figure this will go two ways. Either the salt and protiens in my tears killed them all off or they are going to crawl down my optic nerve and eat my brain tonight while I'm sleeping. Either way I'll have nothing to worry about.

I'll let you guys know in the morning how it went.

Goodnight.

Perikles
2009-Sep-12, 07:55 AM
I'll let you guys know in the morning how it went. Whether you do or not may depend on the way it went....

Glom
2009-Sep-12, 10:26 AM
Yes.

jokergirl
2009-Sep-12, 10:41 AM
Well, those things are pretty hardy... good luck!
(I don't think you've anything to worry about, afaik they live on smaller stuff than brain matter.)

;)

Chuck
2009-Sep-12, 03:37 PM
If you say you're fine, how do we know it's you who's posting and not a colony of nematodes?

Ara Pacis
2009-Sep-12, 03:50 PM
This sounds like the opening scene for a Zombie movie. All along we thought it was a rage virus, but it turns out to be a nematode infestation.

I hope you flushed your eye with saline solution and get goggles for future use.

2009-Sep-12, 03:59 PM
(I don't think you've anything to worry about, afaik they live on smaller stuff than brain matter.)

Smaller than brain cells?

Nematode Infection (http://www.ecureme.com/emyhealth/data/Nematode_Infection.asp)

Worms (nematodes) are long, naked, and boneless creatures that pass their young from eggs or cyst to larval (newly hatched worms) stage, maturing into worms in the tissues they infect, such as skin, muscle, lungs, or intestine (gut or digestive tract).
[...]
Brain (Cy):
Headache
Seizures
Vomiting
Visual changes
Dizziness.

Trematodes or flukes:
Schistosomiasis (Sh) -- after the adult worm lays eggs, they hatch into Cercariae, infecting brain and muscle.

Trematodes, nematodes. Sound the same!

Cestodes or tapeworms:
[...] They can invade and grow in many organs, such as liver, bone, heart, and brain.

Cestodes. Oh my!

(I wouldn't worry.)

(But, now I'm feeling a little dizzy myself....)

ABR.
2009-Sep-12, 04:28 PM
I checked a few of the beneficial nematode products and one even said safe to use around children. I doubt very seriously if you'll have any problems. I suspect that after a couple curses your first thought was, "this will make a great thread for BAUT." Free-living nematodes are everywhere. Next time you gardeners are digging, look closely at the soil and you'll see shiny white nematodes by the hundreds.

Here's an oh [great] moment you'll appreciate, BigDon. I had a similar experience to yours during my Parasitology class many years ago. Except that it was with live acanthocephalans (spiny headed worms). A lab partner picked up the jar into which the rest of us had carefully placed the live parasites (don't ask where we got them, as that was not a pleasant experience). He picked up the jar by the lid, which wasn't secure. Jar falls back to table, explodes, covering each of us with glass shards, preservative and mostly still wriggling parasites. Nothing ever came of it as I suppose we weren't similar enough to turtle intestines. For those of you thinking the preservative would have taken care of them, guess again. Roundworm eggs have remained viable for years while stored in hydrochloric acid (makes sense considering where they live). Parasites are tough.

01101001 -- You think that's bad, try taking a semester course in parasitology, listening to symptoms class after class for months and NOT thinking you've been infested with half of the parasites known to man! Here's another one you can add to that Rogue's Gallery: brain-eating amoebas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naegleria_fowleri). A nice thing to think about when doing underwater handstands in southern lakes and ponds.

DonM435
2009-Sep-12, 05:22 PM
I remember an experiment wherein they trained flatworms with classical conditioning (learn to avoid an electrical shock preceded by a light, I think). When they chopped up the subjects and fed them to other flatworms, the fed-to worms tended to learn the trick more quickly. It was attributed to RNA transfer.

Don't know if it works with nematodes, but maybe your brain will gain some of thier knowledge! Just think what you can accomplish with that! (You'd better, 'cause I can't come up with anything.)

A guy in our genetics lab was transferring with a pipette a culture of these "phage" thingies that attack Escherischia coli, and he overdid it and swallowed some. They sent him to the hospital, because your digestive system needs it's E. coli.

BigDon
2009-Sep-12, 05:35 PM
In all honesty my right eye does feel a bit odd this morning. Gummy, and I have that ache that feels similar to the begining of snow blindness setting in. For those of you who know what snow blindness feels that. I wouldn't worry if it was both eyes that felt that way, but it's just the one.

Ara Pacis
2009-Sep-12, 05:45 PM
I suppose you couldn't just eat some yogurt, eh?

ABR.
2009-Sep-12, 06:05 PM
BigDon, everything I'm running across on the web suggests that the beneficial nematodes used in pest control are predators (of bacteria, fungi, etc.) or work by introducing their bacteria to the pest organism which succumbs to the build up of toxins. Perhaps you're having an allergic reaction? Also, did you whip up the batch of nematodes from scratch, or did you use a commercial product? If the latter, then was there any info on human/nematode interaction on the packaging?

But hey, I'm not a doctor -- maybe you should consult one of those guys for the peace of mind if nothing else.

BigDon
2009-Sep-12, 06:07 PM
Remember Wellville?

Doctor Kellogg: "I prescribe two gallons of yogurt"

Ferris Bueller: "I can't eat that much yogurt!"

Big Scary Nurse: "BWA HA HA HA HA HA!"

BigDon
2009-Sep-12, 06:16 PM
ABe,

'Cause it's the weekend and you know they only have the second stringers on duty. I'll try to go in Monday if it's not better by then or go in if it worsens.

We have a saying in my part of the world. "When the Devil wants to kick you squarely in the 'nads he does it on a Friday."

Though that's mainly the result of how in a lot of places even minor infractions will get you all weekend in jail because no judges are on duty. Where normally you would pay a fine and go after a couple of hours of detention.

BigDon
2009-Sep-12, 07:31 PM
Hey, isn't a headache, start of a fever (101 so far) and a stiff neck a classic sign of brain eating? :)

Again, I'm going to opt with the lesser of two evils and call it the flu. (but hey, it could be swine flu!)

ABe, commercial blend sold by the pint. What dawned on me could be bugging my eye, (ha ha) is the vermiculite the commercial folks use as a vehicle. Some of it had broke down to tiny dust sized pieces and is basically volcanic glass.

Think I'll go wash my eye out. BRB

ABR.
2009-Sep-12, 08:10 PM
ABe, commercial blend sold by the pint. What dawned on me could be bugging my eye, (ha ha) is the vermiculite the commercial folks use as a vehicle. Some of it had broke down to tiny dust sized pieces and is basically volcanic glass.

Think I'll go wash my eye out. BRB

Vermiculite. Yep, that could cause some irritation. I have a huge box of the shipping version in the garage and it's causing me no end of irritation because I don't need that much for shipping, it's a huge mess and apparently, it can't be used for potting soil.

BigDon
2009-Sep-12, 09:00 PM
Well some time under the shower flushing my eye helped a lot. As did the aspirin for the fever.

Oh ABe, before it's too late and the season changes try to get to Rio Vista in the San Joachin Delta. I was fishing under the Rio Vista bridge (the side with the fishing pier) and there were these little jumping spiders you just have to check out!

Black and white, classic bird poo mimic. ( For you astronomy types several species of moth and butterfly rely on bird poo to suppliment their nectar diets with minerals while most birds won't eat something that looks like their own poo. Win-win for the spider.)

But what was so note worthy was the males had swollen palps that were so brilliantly white they shined even in the shadow under the bridge and they were signalling each other, and my friends and I, with complex semiphore signals.

Even more elaborate than the signals used by my pet crabs. Like nothing I've ever seen before. PLUS I'm hereby declare here first that they could be even whiter than those African beetles that are supposed to be the whitest things on Earth. You as a real entomologist would make an excellent backup witness. .

Yes! You could get thier attention and they would face you and signal you for up to a minute or until another one showed up. I twiddled my index and middle fingers at them to signal back. (Again, for you astronomy types, jumping spiders are highly alert and aware creatures who as a group almost never bite non-prey items. They are safe to play with if you don't try to touch them.)

Plus I saw some of those cool wide bodied red dragonflys, which would be more up your alley. IIRC clear wings with black tips.

Ara Pacis
2009-Sep-12, 10:16 PM
I remember some little jumping spiders used to sneak inside my apartment near a big picture window. I play with them using a laser pointer that they liked to chase.

eric_marsh
2009-Sep-13, 03:29 PM
Not a good thing. I think I saw something about it on TV.

http://mog.com/images/users/0000/0000/2148/images/1191951439.jpeg

You might want to have your family members chain you to the wall in the basement for a few days, just to ensure their safety.

Ara Pacis
2009-Sep-13, 06:11 PM
Pink Eye!

mugaliens
2009-Sep-14, 10:21 AM
Well, hopefully everything came out ok (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am13GCzNuMg&feature=related), BD.

Elukka
2009-Sep-14, 11:30 AM
You know, somehow this reminds me of District 9 and what happened to Wikus once he accidentally sprayed himself with the bug thing.
Just saying.

jokergirl
2009-Sep-14, 11:39 AM
I remember an experiment wherein they trained flatworms with classical conditioning (learn to avoid an electrical shock preceded by a light, I think). When they chopped up the subjects and fed them to other flatworms, the fed-to worms tended to learn the trick more quickly. It was attributed to RNA transfer.

IIRC that test was debunked and dismissed later on, but don't ask me for a source right now (I'm at work) :D

;)

DonM435
2009-Sep-14, 03:25 PM
IIRC that test was debunked and dismissed later on, but don't ask me for a source right now (I'm at work) :D

;)

Thanks. I suspected as much. I read that maybe 40 years ago, and if had been a big success, surely they'd have built upon it by now. We'd all be eating learned brains for our schooling.

rommel543
2009-Sep-14, 03:46 PM
I think it was Lovecraft book (or maybe on that was 'inspired by) where a kid took a radiated flat worm from his fathers lab and put it into the pond behind his house. The flat worm then began eating all the other creatures in the pond. Then birds, pets, etc. As it ate each creature, the flat worm took on the knowledge and instincts of that creature. In the end it ate the kid who put it in the pond, crawled into the house and up to the parents saying "mommy, daddy".

Arnold Layne
2009-Sep-15, 01:41 PM
If they don't want your brain, can I have it?

Gigabyte
2009-Sep-15, 01:44 PM
Are you a zombie?

ABR.
2009-Sep-15, 05:25 PM
Well some time under the shower flushing my eye helped a lot. As did the aspirin for the fever.

Oh ABe, before it's too late and the season changes try to get to Rio Vista in the San Joachin Delta. I was fishing under the Rio Vista bridge (the side with the fishing pier) and there were these little jumping spiders you just have to check out!

Black and white, classic bird poo mimic. ( For you astronomy types several species of moth and butterfly rely on bird poo to suppliment their nectar diets with minerals while most birds won't eat something that looks like their own poo. Win-win for the spider.)

But what was so note worthy was the males had swollen palps that were so brilliantly white they shined even in the shadow under the bridge and they were signalling each other, and my friends and I, with complex semiphore signals.

Even more elaborate than the signals used by my pet crabs. Like nothing I've ever seen before. PLUS I'm hereby declare here first that they could be even whiter than those African beetles that are supposed to be the whitest things on Earth. You as a real entomologist would make an excellent backup witness. .

Yes! You could get thier attention and they would face you and signal you for up to a minute or until another one showed up. I twiddled my index and middle fingers at them to signal back. (Again, for you astronomy types, jumping spiders are highly alert and aware creatures who as a group almost never bite non-prey items. They are safe to play with if you don't try to touch them.)

Plus I saw some of those cool wide bodied red dragonflys, which would be more up your alley. IIRC clear wings with black tips.

Well, I'm glad someone gets to go outside. I've been stuck in front of the computer for weeks now. Jumping spiders in the house always get a pass from me. Other spiders aren't so lucky. And what's with all the spider threads/mentions lately?

Dragon and damsel nymphs, I can sight ID no problem, but I never have learned the adults. I could probably ID a few on the wing, but not many. They're fun to watch though. I love watching a small pack of dragons take out a swarm of midges. It's just like dolphins thinning the ranks of a school of fish.

So how's the eye? Or should I ask, how's the brain?

BigDon
2009-Sep-15, 06:19 PM
Mr. Layne, you don't want my brain for your creation. Back in my Navy days I took it out to play with it and I dropped it. It's got a big dent on the left side.

Rob, I still have no craving from brains or other human flesh, so I think I'm good. (Of course, that's just what a real flesh eating ghoul would have you believe.)

ABe, eye is still a little sore, again no more than eyestrain, but is noticable because the other eye isn't sore. Probably the vermiculite scratched the cornea. Been there, done that.

ABe, I saw the larva of something in the mud of nearby Colma Creek. Looked like a fly maggot, only more than an inch long, dirty grey and I found it because I saw a long narrow tube sticking up from the mud in about two inchs of water and the surface of the water was dimpled around it and I thought that it looked liked somebody breathing through a reed. (I was sneaking up on chorus frogs at the time so I was being stealthy.)

Then I noticed it was moving through the mud and had left a long narrow track so I had to find out what it was and scooped it up in a fishnet with the glob of mud and rinsed it in the current and the maggoty thing with the long spike of a tail showed up in the mix. Almost like an ovipositor though I'm almost positive this was some sort of extended breathing spicule.

Where do spike or reed tailed maggots place in your beastiary o' pond creatures ABe? This was new to me. Which on some level makes me glad I can still find things new to me so close to home.

I did replace it unharmed save for "Close Encounters" shock. It was upset.

ABR.
2009-Sep-15, 06:50 PM
ABe, I saw the larva of something in the mud of nearby Colma Creek. Looked like a fly maggot, only more than an inch long, dirty grey and I found it because I saw a long narrow tube sticking up from the mud in about two inchs of water and the surface of the water was dimpled around it and I thought that it looked liked somebody breathing through a reed. (I was sneaking up on chorus frogs at the time so I was being stealthy.)

Then I noticed it was moving through the mud and had left a long narrow track so I had to find out what it was and scooped it up in a fishnet with the glob of mud and rinsed it in the current and the maggoty thing with the long spike of a tail showed up in the mix. Almost like an ovipositor though I'm almost positive this was some sort of extended breathing spicule.

Where do spike or reed tailed maggots place in your beastiary o' pond creatures ABe? This was new to me. Which on some level makes me glad I can still find things new to me so close to home.

I did replace it unharmed save for "Close Encounters" shock. It was upset.

Sounds like a rat-tailed maggot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat-tailed_maggot) (Diptera: Syrphidae) to me. You're probably familiar with the adults which tend to hover in front of storefronts, in the street, pretty much anywhere actually. Up close and personal, they look a bit like bees because of the color pattern. They only have two wings, though, so they're true flies. As for the larva in question, there are a couple other things with siphons, but these guys are big enough to catch your attention and would be hanging out in the habitat you described. Check out the images at the link and see if they match your critter.

As for finding new things, I'm finding new-to-me critters all the time. It's always cool, isn't it?

BigDon
2009-Sep-15, 06:53 PM
Bingo! And I've seen the adults in my garden. Thanks!

Gigabyte
2009-Sep-15, 07:21 PM
I was asking the guy who wanted your brain if he was a zombie.

But after what happened, it is a valid question for you as well.

ABR.
2009-Sep-15, 10:33 PM
Okay, this is as good a place to post this link (http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/09/when-nature-is-freakier-than-sci-fi/) as any. None of these animals may not eat your brain, but watch out for your tongue!

Arnold Layne
2009-Sep-16, 12:45 AM
Mr. Layne, you don't want my brain for your creation. Back in my Navy days I took it out to play with it and I dropped it. It's got a big dent on the left side.

Alright, you keep it then.

closetgeek
2009-Sep-16, 01:23 AM
If they don't want your brain, can I have it?

I thought you collected clothes not brains :shifty:

Arnold Layne
2009-Sep-16, 02:00 AM
I thought you collected clothes not brains :shifty:

:D

I was beginning to wonder if none of the 60,235 other members got the reference :)

closetgeek
2009-Sep-16, 02:38 PM
:D

I was beginning to wonder if none of the 60,235 other members got the reference :)

Nope, I've had the song stuck in my head since last night. It could be worse, your name could have been Several Species of Small Furry Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict :whistle:

Kaptain K
2009-Sep-16, 05:06 PM
I thought the creatures were cavorting with a pict. :confused:

Gigabyte
2009-Sep-16, 06:15 PM
Wikipedia to the rescue!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Several_Species_of_Small_Furry_Animals_Gathered_To gether_in_a_Cave_and_Grooving_with_a_Pict

Gigabyte
2009-Sep-16, 06:18 PM
Aye an' a bit of Mackeral settler rack and ruin
ran it doon by the haim, 'ma place
well I slapped me and I slapped it doon in the side
and I cried, cried, cried.

Oh man does that bring back memories.

closetgeek
2009-Sep-16, 07:19 PM
Aye an' a bit of Mackeral settler rack and ruin
ran it doon by the haim, 'ma place
well I slapped me and I slapped it doon in the side
and I cried, cried, cried.

Oh man does that bring back memories.

Not really for me. Other than a select few songs off their first few albums, the earliest I like from them is Atom Heart Mother. Well...that and the fact that I wasn't even born yet :lol: I think The Wall is the earliest one I can remember being released.

Arnold Layne
2009-Sep-16, 10:56 PM
Not really for me. Other than a select few songs off their first few albums, the earliest I like from them is Atom Heart Mother. Well...that and the fact that I wasn't even born yet :lol: I think The Wall is the earliest one I can remember being released.

:surprised

BigDon
2009-Oct-03, 06:19 AM
My eye is still bothering me. Along with that periodic "gnats fluttering in my face" sensation.

Might have to see that doctor after all.

Gigabyte
2009-Oct-03, 01:51 PM
I can't believe you haven't already gone to a Doctor!!!

Eyes are important you know. Never mind the brain.