PDA

View Full Version : Bandaged Finger: The weakest link

Fazor
2009-Sep-17, 08:57 PM
This is just a mini-rant of no real consequence, but work has been ... well, it's probably best I don't describe that.

Who would have thought one tiny bandage on one little fingertip would make it soo hard to type more than one or two words at a time? It's not even a serious injury (or any 'injury' really). Just some inflamation/infection around a broken finger-nail. Band-aid is just to keep dirt out, and keep Neosporin in.

But when I go to type, there's enough pain that I'll either not hit the keys with that finger hard enough. Or worse. I've noticed I've been dropping words or re-wording things subconsiously in ways that will reduce the need to use that finger.

It's always a job to try to catch the regular typeos and misspelled words. Now it's extra fun.

Ara Pacis
2009-Sep-17, 09:07 PM
Have you tried typing while on Toradol and Dilaudid, one day after someone's removed half a foot of your large intestine?

NickW
2009-Sep-17, 11:39 PM
I had my little finger on my left hand smashed in a door a couple of weeks ago, so I know how ya feel, Fazor. Or I did know. It healed up pretty good now, but the first couple of days was a pain.

Fazor
2009-Sep-18, 12:17 AM
It's probably a blessing for BAUT. It's such an inconveniance, I find myself not posting things that I otherwise would. :) Relative peace and quiet on the Fazor-front.

2009-Sep-18, 01:10 AM
Just some inflamation/infection around a broken finger-nail. Band-aid is just to keep dirt out, and keep Neosporin in.

Artificial fever: Soak in hot water, hot as you can stand, even a tad hotter because you'll get used to it.

Worked for me many times. I'm not a doctor of medicine. Etc.

Fazor
2009-Sep-18, 01:58 AM
Artificial fever: Soak in hot water, hot as you can stand, even a tad hotter because you'll get used to it.

Worked for me many times. I'm not a doctor of medicine. Etc.

Yeah. Make that anti-bacterial soap'd hot water, and that's what I do once or twice a day. About the only time I use antibacterial soap.

Tobin Dax
2009-Sep-18, 02:46 AM
It's always a job to try to catch the regular typeos and misspelled words. Now it's extra fun.
Let me add to your fun. (Oh, :cry:.)

I've been in a similar situation a few times, and it's annoying to say the least.

DonM435
2009-Sep-18, 03:54 AM
I rely on my right index finger to do most of my typing, with sporadic assistance from my left hand and other rIghhand fiingers as needed and practical. Sorry, but I'm too old to convert. But I was once clocked at 55 words/minute with zero errors, which I gather is okay by most standards. (I passed a high school typing class ... but, I guess that I cheated.)

On the occasions that my right index finger was injured and/or bandaged, I could press on, using, say, my right middle finger to type. Pronlem solved, and still two additional right fingers in reserve. Good solution?

Nope. My aim was off. My middle finger always pointed to the key just to the right of my only good right finger, and messed things up. It gave me the finger, so to speak.

I still require Right Index and EveryThingElse as backup.