PDA

View Full Version : Astronomy education via the Internet

ToSeek
2004-Jan-29, 11:07 PM
Has anyone tried this? I was considering taking some courses from Swinburne (http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/sao/) and would be interested in any comments or feedback.

AGN Fuel
2004-Jan-30, 01:33 AM
Has anyone tried this? I was considering taking some courses from Swinburne (http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/sao/) and would be interested in any comments or feedback.

May I suggest that you contact James Cook University in Queensland, Australia? They also offer a Masters in Astronomy, which can then be continued through to a Doctorate. Of the professors that run the programme, I know Professor Graeme White by reputation and several of the other lecturers there personally. They are very good teachers and involved in some truly interesting research projects.

They run a good programme and it worthy of investigation if you are interested in internet education. I should warn you though that internet education can sometimes be difficult - there are real advantages in speaking to a lecturer face-to-face on occasions!

If you want to PM me, I would be happy to provide additional information/contacts, etc.

I have not had much to do with the Swinburne programme, although a colleague of mine commenced her Masters in Astronomy there. She seemed happy enough through the first few semesters, but I haven't spoken to her about for quite some time.

ToSeek
2004-Jun-03, 04:10 AM
I am pleased to report that I have been accepted into the Master's program at James Cook University, with classes starting in August.

JustAGuy
2004-Jun-03, 04:24 AM
I am pleased to report that I have been accepted into the Master's program at James Cook University, with classes starting in August.
Congrats ToSeek. How long will this degree take to complete remotely?

Also, I see that JCU delivers online courses via Blackboard, which is my company's arch-rival... grrr... ;)

Maksutov
2004-Jun-03, 04:39 AM

Also, I see that JCU delivers online courses via Blackboard, which is my company's arch-rival... grrr... ;)

Well, not to discuss the time involved, but since ToSeek already is a PostDoc (what's up with that?), then if he goes for two doctorates at once, the second will be the Third Degree... :wink:

ToSeek
2004-Jun-22, 07:59 PM

The program consists of six courses taken one per semester. I'm not sure if that amounts to two or three semesters per year, but either two or three years.

Sorry for the tardy response - somehow I didn't spot your reply initially and just happened to notice it this afternoon.

stu
2004-Jun-22, 10:53 PM
... I see that JCU delivers online courses via Blackboard, which is my company's arch-rival... grrr... ;)

Sorry for the off-topic remark, but I HATE BLACKBOARD. Case uses it for some classes (depends upon the professor), and it is so difficult to navigate, not intuitive, etc. ... and in general I'm pretty darn good with figuring out programs and internet sites, but Blackboard is just so confusing! [-(

Okay ... you may now continue with what you were talking about ... 8)

Charlie in Dayton
2004-Jun-23, 05:24 PM
Hmmm...any lower-grade degrees in astronomy on the web that anyone knows about? Or even just a few good courses of this nature for college credit? I have pondered on doing something like this...

ToSeek
2004-Jun-23, 05:45 PM
Hmmm...any lower-grade degrees in astronomy on the web that anyone knows about? Or even just a few good courses of this nature for college credit? I have pondered on doing something like this...

Some options listed here. (http://www.worldwidelearn.com/astronomy.htm)

JustAGuy
2004-Jun-23, 07:02 PM
Most colleges and universities now offer online components to their courses. As the quality of online educational software has improved, there's also been a corresponding increase in courses available for distance learning.

I'd suggest that you contact your alma mater to see if they offer astronomy courses in this media. If you do not hold a degree already, then contact your local community college, or nearby university to ask the same thing (by "ask," I mean check their websites for program information). Even if a course is not officially distance learning (ie has a lecture component), you may be able to get away with only sporadic attendance if the online component is good (but please talk to the professor beforehand).

If you aren't interested in pursuing a formal degree, the entrance requirements are typically less rigourous for an unclassified registration (assuming the instituion offers this, but most do). You can always officially transfer into a degree program later if you keep your marks up :)

In the end, I'd recommend attending in person, because the experience is better, and you get to use the universities resources (aka big telescopes!). That's what I'm doing at UBC; now if they'd only let me near the LZT...

Ricimer
2004-Jun-23, 07:24 PM
Ahh, you are an astronomer!

The acronyms!

BTW, what do those mean?

JustAGuy
2004-Jun-23, 07:55 PM
Ahh, you are an astronomer!

The acronyms!

BTW, what do those mean?

Well, amateur, taking unclassified credits in 2nd year astronomy. So I wouldn't quite call myself a pro astronomer just yet; or ever, for that matter ;) I am, however, a computer scientist, this explains the acronyms ;)

The acronyms I used were: UBC=University of British Columbia (I work on campus, so taking courses in person is somewhat convenient :) ) and LZT=Large Zenith Telescope, a 6m (!) diameter liquid telescope developed by UBC. link (http://www.astro.ubc.ca/LMT/lzt/)

pkohlmil
2005-Feb-07, 11:06 PM
Any update on James Cook U versus Swinburne? I think I'm leaning towards Swinburne but it is based on very little knowledge.

dgruss23
2005-Feb-07, 11:16 PM
... I see that JCU delivers online courses via Blackboard, which is my company's arch-rival... grrr... ;)

Sorry for the off-topic remark, but I HATE BLACKBOARD. Case uses it for some classes (depends upon the professor), and it is so difficult to navigate, not intuitive, etc. ... and in general I'm pretty darn good with figuring out programs and internet sites, but Blackboard is just so confusing! [-(

Blackboard is a very effective tool - if the instructor knows how to use it properly. My students have no problems with it. The problems arise when the instructor doesn't know how to organize it.

I don't want to divert the thread ... perhaps if someone has more they want to say about it a thread should be started over in BABBling?!

George
2005-Feb-07, 11:38 PM
I thought you just started there last semester #-o . Hmmmm...how many BABB posts do I need to show them to advance place, too? :P

ToSeek
2005-Feb-08, 12:43 AM
Any update on James Cook U versus Swinburne? I think I'm leaning towards Swinburne but it is based on very little knowledge.

My impression from the descriptions is that James Cook is the more serious, rigorous program of the two, which is why I went for it rather than Swinburne.

mickal555
2005-Feb-08, 07:55 AM
Hey cool when I get an astronomy thing I can just walk there :D

Argos
2005-Feb-08, 01:06 PM
I believe Internet is fine, and not only for studying astronomy. I doubt school as we know it (presential) will survive in the next few decades. Hope it won´t.

George
2005-Feb-08, 02:11 PM
My impression from the descriptions is that James Cook is the more serious, rigorous program of the two, which is why I went for it rather than Swinburne.
What is your impression of the courses and school since you have now, apparently, completed some courses?

BTW, congrats and good luck on the Master's plan. =D>

ToSeek
2005-Feb-08, 02:44 PM
What is your impression of the courses and school since you have now, apparently, completed some courses?

Well, I've only completed the one course. (I start the second one later this month - we're in Australia's summer break right now.) I'm a little disappointed at the moment: the course was pretty basic (more like an undergrad Astronomy 101 with perhaps a little more rigor than a true grad-level course), and the instructor wasn't that involved, though he did apologize for that toward the end of the course - apparently he was having health problems or something. For one thing, I still don't know the grade I got on the final, though I do know the grade I got in the class.

It's kind of unfair to judge just from the one class, though.

George
2005-Feb-08, 02:53 PM

Well, I've only completed the one course. (I start the second one later this month - we're in Australia's summer break right now.) I'm a little disappointed at the moment: the course was pretty basic (more like an undergrad Astronomy 101 with perhaps a little more rigor than a true grad-level course), and the instructor wasn't that involved, though he did apologize for that toward the end of the course - apparently he was having health problems or something. For one thing, I still don't know the grade I got on the final, though I do know the grade I got in the class.

It's kind of unfair to judge just from the one class, though.

Thanks. My free time is very limited and I am hoping this program will fit me someday.