PDA

View Full Version : Why is Mars Red? New Study Offers Surprises

Fraser
2009-Sep-21, 02:00 PM
Is Mars red due to rocks being rusted by the water that once flooded the red planet? And is the only explanation for the hematite found by Mars orbiters and studied by the Mars Exploration rovers is that water once was present in volumes on Mars? Not necessarily, says a new study. Research [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2009/09/21/why-is-mars-red-new-study-offers-surprises/)

Jerry
2009-Sep-21, 11:54 PM
Is Mars red due to rocks being rusted by the water that once flooded the red planet? And is the only explanation for the hematite found by Mars orbiters and studied by the Mars Exploration rovers is that water once was present in volumes on Mars? Not necessarily, says a new study. Research [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2009/09/21/why-is-mars-red-new-study-offers-surprises/)
Man, wouldn't that have made a great school science project? Who would have thought simply grinding quartz and iron rich basalt together would produce hematite!

I wonder if you could do the same experiment with water-ice and tholins at 100deg K in N2; and come up with a red coat for Titan...

Swift
2009-Sep-22, 12:46 PM
Jerry,
Do not spread your ATM ideas outside of the thread you already have about this topic. This is an official warning.

Buttercup
2009-Sep-22, 12:57 PM
“Mars should really look black, between its white polar caps, because most of the rocks at mid-latitudes are basalt," said Merrison

I'm glad it's not!

Interesting article. :)

Airesgirl
2009-Sep-22, 03:15 PM
if mars was black we couldn't see it therfore how would we know its there but that really is a good point though.

Jerry
2009-Sep-25, 04:57 AM
Jerry,
Do not spread your ATM ideas outside of the thread you already have about this topic. This is an official warning.

Good grief read my post: Using tholins and water to make Titan red is THE mainstream approach, and a number of labs are trying to do just that. They might even have seven month tumblers, and it might even work.