PDA

View Full Version : No News?

Hutchca
2004-Jan-30, 05:09 PM
It's been almost 2 days with no news and no new images.
I'm starting to get Mars withdrawal symptoms.

Anybody know what's happening with the rovers?

How often do the downlinks occur?
I thought they got data from an Oddesy pass twice a day.

ToSeek
2004-Jan-30, 05:43 PM
Today's downloads from Opportunity and Spirit. (http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/press/opportunity/20040130a.html)

Yesterday was a "day of remembrance" for NASA. They didn't have a press conference or post any new images.

Hutchca
2004-Jan-30, 06:03 PM
That makes sense. I knew about the anniversary but I didn't realize NASA was taking a day off (so to speak).

Your link is for some press release images but there's still no new raw images and no actual press releases or mission status updates yet.

Probably later today though.

Rift
2004-Jan-30, 06:24 PM
I wax philosophical, and post a link about the day of remembrance here-

http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10850

ToSeek
2004-Jan-30, 06:38 PM
They just had a press conference. The biggest news is that they're hoping to get "wheels-on-dirt" for Opportunity early tomorrow morning, which is about 1-1/2 days ahead of the original schedule.

Other news includes:

- Spirit has returned enough spectrographic data on the rock Adirondack to have good confidence that it's volcanic in origin.
- They were being very cagey about the initial results from the mini-TES on Opportunity, but "all the team members are going around with big smiles." This suggests that they've found signs of the hematite they were looking for.
- Some of the press release images show 3-D renderings of the crater Opportunity is in. They don't expect to have any problems getting out of it.
- They're still trying to figure out just where Opportunity is, though they think they have enough information now to do so.

Hutchca
2004-Feb-01, 09:02 PM
Why no new raw images from either rover in almost 4 days?

I know they're downloading images and they've posted processed press release images but the Raw images haven't been updated since Opportunity Sol 5.

johnwitts
2004-Feb-01, 11:17 PM
The MER teams may work 24/7 but the person who does the website goes home at the weekend. Plus, don't you guys have that Big Bucket or whatever it's called this weekend?

Edymnion
2004-Feb-02, 01:27 AM
Why no new raw images from either rover in almost 4 days?Damn martians keep getting in the way of the shots. ;)