PDA

View Full Version : The Instant Coffee Blues

Buttercup
2009-Oct-01, 11:20 AM
My favorite instant coffee has either been discontinued or is no longer available in this area: Taster's Choice Vanilla Gourmet. Hazelnut was also an option. Now only individual packets are sold; 20 to a box, very expensive.

Brewed coffee gives me heartburn and halitosis. Can't stand the stuff. Instant coffee has no unpleasant side effects and is my morning jolt.

So now I'm mixing General Foods International Coffee (Mocha flavor) with a bit of regular instant coffee. My 1st attempt turned out tasting like tobacco. :confused: :sick: A bit more "experimenting" by adding Hershey's chocolate syrup finally did the trick. :rolleyes:

Oh for the days when just a can of Diet Pepsi was adequate enough. :p

megrfl
2009-Oct-01, 12:00 PM
Have you tried adding vanilla to the instant coffee or using a vanilla flavored creamer?

I use instant Taster's Choice Nescafe 100% Columbian coffee for cooking/baking and occasionally for an "odd time" cup of coffee, otherwise I brew Maxwell House Columbian. Yummy.

Fazor
2009-Oct-01, 12:19 PM
Instant coffee? Really? That's kind of like me saying I can't drink beer on tap or from bottles, but straight from a can is fine! :)

It's wierd that you'd have such a difference between the two. I'm not a fan of instant coffee, but I brew a pot of coffee almost every day at work.

Buttercup
2009-Oct-01, 12:30 PM
megrfl: Have you tried adding vanilla to the instant coffee or using a vanilla flavored creamer?

Yes, I have flavored powdered creamers and they don't entirely do the trick with this current "blend" of GFIC and regular instant. Maybe I need to get the bottled coffee syrup flavorings. :-\ The Hershey's chocolate was good in it; killed a bit of lingering bitterness from the regular instant stuff. :p

Fazor: Instant coffee? Really? That's kind of like me saying I can't drink beer on tap or from bottles, but straight from a can is fine!

:lol:

It's wierd that you'd have such a difference between the two. I'm not a fan of instant coffee, but I brew a pot of coffee almost every day at work.

Brewed gourmet coffee is delicious, but I pay a price. :( The nasty heartburn especially isn't worth it. Just last week I read that instant coffee is preferred in Europe, unlike here. So I'm a definite minority (but not deliberately).

Fazor
2009-Oct-01, 01:06 PM
Brewed gourmet coffee is delicious, but I pay a price. :( The nasty heartburn especially isn't worth it. Just last week I read that instant coffee is preferred in Europe, unlike here. So I'm a definite minority (but not deliberately).

We had pasta for the last two nights. The first night, Tara baked Penne with some premade marinara and melted cheese ontop (Asiago, provelone, parmesan, and I forget the fourth. Too early).

I woke up in the middle of the night with heartburn soo bad I thought I was going to throw up. For some reason, that premade marinara always does that to me.

Last night was that chicken on just buttered Lenguine. Still had minor heartburn, but nothing too bad. Probably all the garlic in the chicken.

rommel543
2009-Oct-01, 01:07 PM
Up until recently I way making coffee every day in my french press. Made it about espresso strength. I've stopped drinking coffee for now which has made me completely light headed and unable to focus.

Buttercup
2009-Oct-01, 01:40 PM
Fazor, lately marinara or other types of "spaghetti sauce" (store-bought) also give me heartburn. I was surprised when even the latest jar of "Classico" did that. :(

Brewed coffee's caffeine is also too strong; even if it's decaf (unless irresponsible employees at the store aren't paying attention to what type of beans they're pouring into the bins). I easily get mild shakiness from it. OTOH, instant coffee's caffeine content is just right. :)

Fazor
2009-Oct-01, 01:48 PM
I only get "the shakes" if I drink two or three cups of coffee and then skip lunch.

HenrikOlsen
2009-Oct-01, 02:33 PM
For me what I've noticed is that when using fresh ground beans (as in I grind the beans I need for brewing the pot as the first step of brewing), I can use less coffee to get the same taste, which means less bitterness, heartburn and jitters than what I'd get with preground or instant.

Neverfly
2009-Oct-01, 02:46 PM
Wow.

This is a learning experience for me. I had thought I was the only person on the planet that got heartburn from coffee.

sarongsong
2009-Oct-01, 03:03 PM
You might want to try Starbucks new venture (http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/sep2009/db20090929_148572.htm) into the instant market; Via Ready Brew.

Fazor
2009-Oct-01, 03:12 PM
You might want to try Starbucks new venture (http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/sep2009/db20090929_148572.htm) into the instant market; Via Ready Brew.
(Even guys who like to yell at town hall meetings) "I can't taste the difference! I can't!"

Buttercup
2009-Oct-01, 03:19 PM
Starbucks is too expensive. I did see the recent headline; thanks anyway. :)

Jim
2009-Oct-01, 05:04 PM
This is a learning experience for me. I had thought I was the only person on the planet that got heartburn from coffee.

A coupla years ago I went to my doctor because of recurring chest pains... nothing terrible, just a frequent burning sensation. I was told it was the caffeine from all the coffee I drank (4-6 cups a day). I cut back to 2 and no more pains.

Neverfly
2009-Oct-01, 05:11 PM
A coupla years ago I went to my doctor because of recurring chest pains... nothing terrible, just a frequent burning sensation. I was told it was the caffeine from all the coffee I drank (4-6 cups a day). I cut back to 2 and no more pains.

See, I'll drink Dr Pepper like it's Youth Elixir.
Yet, even half a cup of coffee is enough to make my stomach turn inside out. Additionally, coffee seems to be the only thing (aside from Sulfuric acid) that can turn my stomach inside out.

As well as other problems.

I've always wondered what it was in coffee that tore me up so... but gastro-intestinal stuff is never a fun topic and I never really wanted to bring it up (Pun not intended) and ask someone.

I've just always said I simply don't like coffee.

Fazor
2009-Oct-01, 05:19 PM
It's funny how we all have certain things that do that to us. I didn't used to. As a kid I could eat anything. I suppose that's normal to most kids. I've never heard a 12 year old complain about heartburn.

cosmocrazy
2009-Oct-01, 05:22 PM
See, I'll drink Dr Pepper like it's Youth Elixir.
Yet, even half a cup of coffee is enough to make my stomach turn inside out. Additionally, coffee seems to be the only thing (aside from Sulfuric acid) that can turn my stomach inside out.

As well as other problems.

I've always wondered what it was in coffee that tore me up so... but gastro-intestinal stuff is never a fun topic and I never really wanted to bring it up (Pun not intended) and ask someone.

I've just always said I simply don't like coffee.

Its funny how different things affect different people so.

I have exactly the same trouble from orange juice, 1 small glass and my chest feels like its going to burst!

I never had any problem with coffee, but recently i have been drinking much more than usual and i must admit my heartburn has increased. Never thought this could be the cause of it but maybe it is. You see Nev your experience of gastro-intestinal stuff has taught me something new. :)

Neverfly
2009-Oct-01, 05:26 PM
Its funny how different things affect different people so.

It's funny how we all have certain things that do that to us.

Separated as twins and raised thousands of miles apart; two brothers happen to stumble upon eachother on a science forum.

Isn't the internet a wonderful thing?

danscope
2009-Oct-01, 05:31 PM
If you can, get closer to the roasting process. Ground coffee goes down hill fast. I have the luxury of a store close by (15 miles) in Providence that roasts fresh daily. The bins which hold these beans have a date of roasting on them. Often, the beans are still warm!!! Fresh beans, fresh ground.
Less coffee grinds, more and better flavour.
And yes, there is vanilla syrup out there. You can make your own quite easily. Make a simple syrup in a sauce pan. Half water, half sugar,Add vanilla extract to taste.
Here's the gourmet recipie....even better.

Difficulty: Easy ********** InstructionsThings You'll Need:******
2 cups Sugar
1 cup Water
1 Vanilla Bean
Small saucepan
Bottle or jar
Step 1Gather your ingredients together. The most important ingredient is the vanilla bean. These can be found at spice stores or specialty markets. There are many different varieties of beans available. Each will produce a distinctive vanilla flavor. I used the cheapest bean I could find and still had a fragrant and delicious syrup. I can only imagine how the pricier beans would enhance my syrup.

Step 2Chop the vanilla bean into small pieces and slice the pieces lengthwise to release the sticky beans inside the pod.

Step 3Put 1 cup of water and 2 cups of sugar into a saucepan. Add the vanilla pieces.

Step 4 Bring this mixture to a boil.This should be a very easy boil. Reduce heat and let mixture clear out. The sugar will melt and the liquid will become clear. I like to boil this syrup for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.

Step 5 Once your syrup has cooled, remove the large pieces of vanilla bean and pour it into a bottle. You will have small pieces of bean floating in your syrup --- this will continue to flavor the syrup. If you prefer clear syrup, strain through a coffee filter before bottling.

Step 6 That's it! Your simple vanilla syrup will be good for months (if it lasts that long!). Keep it in the refrigerator.

That's the good one. It works. Latte's , tasty coffees and other drinkees
will follow. Try just a little syrup first. It has strength. 1 teaspoon can do the job sometimes.
Good cooking is worthwhile.
Best regards,
Dan

cosmocrazy
2009-Oct-01, 05:33 PM
Separated as twins and raised thousands of miles apart; two brothers happen to stumble upon eachother on a science forum.

Isn't the internet a wonderful thing?

Uncanny hey? poor Fazor, i would think it would be much like the film "Twins" me being the left over genes :lol:

Buttercup
2009-Oct-01, 05:50 PM
Thanks danscope, I may give that recipe a try. :)

Yes, I also blinked at the similarity of wording between Fazor and cosmocrazy; for a moment I wondered if I'd accidentally scrolled backwards and was re-reading. :lol:

Neverfly
2009-Oct-01, 05:51 PM
Uncanny hey? poor Fazor, i would think it would be much like the film "Twins" me being the left over genes :lol:

Are you sure?
I have photographic evidence...

Fazor
2009-Oct-01, 05:51 PM
Judging by our avatars, we do both have the same yellow skin tone. Uncanny.

rommel543
2009-Oct-01, 06:16 PM
I've had water give me heartburn. I'm in the same boat as Fazor. As I kid I could eat all the crap that I wanted (at least when I could get a hold of it). Now if I have a small amount of candy or milk chocolate I get heartburn. Dark chocolate doesn't seem to have that effect.

The worse ones are when you wake up in the middle of the night with heartburn and or acid indigestion. You get that feeling like the creature from Aliens is going to pop through your chest because the pressure and pain is so bad. Then you burp and realize the creature is ripping its way up your throat instead of through the breastplate.

Fazor
2009-Oct-01, 06:27 PM
See, I have the added "benefit" of not being able to burp. Not totally; I do sometimes burp, but more often than not, it's an extreme struggle to not throw up when I do. One reason I don't like going out to eat, particularly places with very greasy food.

I've looked it up online and apparently it's a condition with no (currently) known cause or cure. I have it better than some people though, where worse cases physically cannot burp at all. Probably why my bad heartburn is accompanied by a feeling of nausea.

mugaliens
2009-Oct-01, 06:45 PM
A bit more "experimenting" by adding Hershey's chocolate syrup finally did the trick. :rolleyes:

No wonder! That stuff will fix anything! Bad cereal, squeaky hinges,

[/quote]Oh for the days when just a can of Diet Pepsi was adequate enough. :p[/QUOTE]

Have you tried the double double-U's? Water and a walk.

Buttercup
2009-Oct-01, 06:56 PM
No wonder! That stuff will fix anything! Bad cereal, squeaky hinges,

:lol:

Have you tried the double double-U's? Water and a walk.

No, that wouldn't be feasible; I'm drinking coffee at 4:30 a.m. I wouldn't risk taking an outdoor walk at that hour alone. And I'm not hugely caffeine dependent, but it seems a "must" now. :-\

The Backroad Astronomer
2009-Oct-01, 08:37 PM
Gave up coffee a couple of years ago it was making my stomach upset. I think also my job was not helping either, at the time I was taking up to 140 calls over and 8 hour shift.

rommel543
2009-Oct-01, 08:53 PM
Speaking of heartburn.. We had a lunch meeting today where pizza was ordered in. I had a slice of hawaiian and a slice of meatlovers along with a root beer. I can already feel the pressure and the burning in my stomach.

sarongsong
2009-Oct-01, 09:25 PM
My favorite instant coffee has either been discontinued or is no longer available in this area: Taster's Choice Vanilla Gourmet...There's always mail order (http://www.buythecase.net/product/26930/nescafe_tasters_choice_vanilla_gourmet_instant_cof fee/), yes? http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Buttercup
2009-Oct-01, 09:32 PM
There's always mail order (http://www.buythecase.net/product/26930/nescafe_tasters_choice_vanilla_gourmet_instant_cof fee/), yes? http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Bless your heart! :D

Fazor
2009-Oct-01, 10:04 PM
... and of course, the right to assembly is refering to the right to form a group of similar views, not the right to physically assemble. Otherwise, restricted government areas would be unconstitutional.

The Backroad Astronomer
2009-Oct-01, 10:53 PM
... and of course, the right to assembly is refering to the right to form a group of similar views, not the right to physically assemble. Otherwise, restricted government areas would be unconstitutional.
And now for something completely different.

mugaliens
2009-Oct-02, 08:32 AM
No, that wouldn't be feasible; I'm drinking coffee at 4:30 a.m. I wouldn't risk taking an outdoor walk at that hour alone.

Have you considered moving to a more ameniable clime?

And I'm not hugely caffeine dependent, but it seems a "must" now. :-\

Come 10 am, I'm singing your song...

Buttercup
2009-Oct-02, 10:24 AM
Me: No, that wouldn't be feasible; I'm drinking coffee at 4:30 a.m. I wouldn't risk taking an outdoor walk at that hour alone.

Mugaliens: Have you considered moving to a more ameniable clime?

Yes. :D

But my husband wants us to live here. :rolleyes:

Basically, though, I don't think any area is safe at that hour for a woman to walk about alone -- unless it's a tiny rural town like my hometown in the Midwest. But there it's brutally cold 4 months of the year at 4:30 a.m. Back to square one. ;)

Hlafordlaes
2009-Oct-02, 12:26 PM
I've had water give me heartburn. I'm in the same boat as Fazor. As I kid I could eat all the crap that I wanted (at least when I could get a hold of it). Now if I have a small amount of candy or milk chocolate I get heartburn. Dark chocolate doesn't seem to have that effect.

The worse ones are when you wake up in the middle of the night with heartburn and or acid indigestion. You get that feeling like the creature from Aliens is going to pop through your chest because the pressure and pain is so bad. Then you burp and realize the creature is ripping its way up your throat instead of through the breastplate.

This sounds like acid reflux, especially since you cite water as capable of bringing on an attack. It's actually not a good condition to ignore, you should see a doctor. Omeprazol is often prescribed.

I have it after years of using NSAIDs to control a rather pesky genetic auto-immune disorder that has no sense of humor whatsoever, so I've co-opted it. Since it affects my bones, I like to turn my head in a particularly endless office meeting when everything is quiet, creating a chilling Exorcist moment as the bones crack loudly throughout a slow turn. It can be used to great effect.:eek:

cosmocrazy
2009-Oct-02, 07:31 PM
Are you sure?
I have photographic evidence...

Hey where did you get that picture from? i thought my mother had rid of it years ago! :lol:

mike alexander
2009-Oct-02, 09:27 PM
My neck bones don't crack, but when I rub my eyes they squeak so loudly heads will turn.

I do this at dull meetings to get a laugh.

Hlafordlaes
2009-Oct-03, 09:31 PM
My neck bones don't crack, but when I rub my eyes they squeak so loudly heads will turn.

I do this at dull meetings to get a laugh.

He, he, fun being naughty, isn't it:p

closetgeek
2009-Oct-05, 01:10 PM
It's funny how we all have certain things that do that to us. I didn't used to. As a kid I could eat anything. I suppose that's normal to most kids. I've never heard a 12 year old complain about heartburn.

For as long as I can remember, anything with blueberry filling has given me wicked heartburn; blueberry poptarts, blueberry cereal bars, anything of that nature. Now it's just grilled American Cheese sandwiches. I can eat grilled Mozzarella cheese sandwiches with no upset but once I use American, I am hurting.

sarongsong
2009-Oct-05, 09:37 PM
Starbucks is too expensive...I stopped in for their free taste comparison this week-end. When I asked the server about the price ($2.95/3-pack), he explained that one packet would make one 8-ounce cup of coffee---thus saving me 50˘ over the brewed price. :lol: (I think they're going to lose their shirt on this one!)

Van Rijn
2009-Oct-05, 11:23 PM

From the article:

It came time to persuade the company's self-proclaimed—and sometimes officially trained—coffee experts that the instant was not just drinkable, but as good as regular Starbucks brew.

I never thought Starbucks was good (too bitter and over roasted), so "as good as" their regular stuff seems to be a rather low standard to meet.

Van Rijn
2009-Oct-05, 11:30 PM
By the way, I use Puroast coffee. It's a fairly expensive coffee brand, but very smooth, with (in my opinion) a great taste, and easy on the stomach. Lately I've been using the "House blend decaf" (I changed from the regular "House blend" a while back, and the decaf is pretty good).

danscope
2009-Oct-06, 02:31 AM
For as long as I can remember, anything with blueberry filling has given me wicked heartburn; blueberry poptarts, blueberry cereal bars, anything of that nature. Now it's just grilled American Cheese sandwiches. I can eat grilled Mozzarella cheese sandwiches with no upset but once I use American, I am hurting.

Get real ingredients and make real food.
Cheese food and aspartame aren't the same.
And real blueberries don't need a lot of sugar at all.
Bon appetit.
Dan

sarongsong
2009-Oct-06, 06:11 AM
...Cheese food and aspartame aren't the same...:doh: ...and who's talking about aspartame here :confused:

danscope
2009-Oct-06, 07:01 PM
Our friend Closetgeek was describing a problem with certain kinds of food.
For experiment, I suggested that the avoidance of that additive may not only prove fruitfull, but open doors for better eating and life.
No big deal.

The Backroad Astronomer
2009-Oct-06, 10:59 PM
Danscope you assumed the foods contain aspartame, but clostgeek said it was blueberries, maybe blueberries have something in them that cause heartburn.

danscope
2009-Oct-06, 11:30 PM
Hi, When you say 'blueberries' that covers a big area, and is divided into
' snack pies at a gas station ' washed down with cola or something....
and fresh blueberrie muffins, pies and cakes or blueberries mounted on fresh cereal...
Well, if you ask most people that know food, they can say that they have it on good authority that fresh is different, and fresh is way better.
"NO WAY???"
"WAY !!! "

Dan