PDA

View Full Version : The travelling life (things you notice)

LotusExcelle
2009-Oct-02, 07:14 PM
My job requires I travel a lot. Well - a lot for some people. I drive roughly 1000 miles per week. It gives one a lot of time to think or let the mind wander.

I was heading home from Sturbridge, MA.

The leaves are changing already. When did summer leave us? Was it even here this year? It is October already and the air has that smell of fall. It is like electricity in my lungs. The trees looking like fire on the hills, the smell of wood smoke and mud.

I drive the back roads part of the way and see quaint houses and pretty towns. The buildings here are old. It seems everyone has something for sale. A car, crafts, flowers. In these small towns I wonder what people do for work, for fun.

I prefer the fall to all other seasons. There is hope within falling leaves. The cool weather, the cold rain. I can't help but smile. I dream of a warm fireplace to read a book by. A hot stove top heating up a warm drink for me. The dogs at my side. The rhythmic sounds of my wife weaving a scarf. It is not a season of sadness.

mahesh
2009-Oct-02, 08:23 PM
...It is not a season of sadness.

Nay. 'Tis but Time to capture some Mother Earth's colours...

Thanks Lotus... for evocative imagery

Fazor
2009-Oct-02, 08:27 PM
Very poetic Lotus. I love the fall as well (really, who doesn't? Rhetorical.)

We had a relatively cool (but very humid!) Summer, and everyone is saying "Oooh! Is Winter going to come early?! We're going to have a really looong Winter!"

I'm hoping instead for a long fall (and not the kind that happens when you slip off a cliff during a wilderness hike). Fall is wonderful, but it's always too short.

KaiYeves
2009-Oct-02, 08:40 PM
I love Fall. All the seasons have their great moments if you can stop and appreciate them.

LotusExcelle
2009-Oct-03, 05:13 PM
Well perhaps I'll post a few of my older things here too! Some of these are excerpts from something bigger and as such might be out of context.

Fall part 1

In amber light
of the sun setting west
and calming winds
that tear asunder the fears
of creatures in the dark
she sang to herself
and to leaves that sway and turn
freedom is a dream
and dreams are only for the night
This thing of crows
of freshly picked cherries
and fields green as your eyes
You are not lost but meandering
a tale, a lyric, a song
and the end is not nearer now
with this world and its jealous sun
as her song ends she cries
the days are like love, she whispers
like rivers and tides

Auli
On the shores laid Auli. And in her lie dormant too, like her eyes, the remembering of seas left slumbering. Once was forgotten the places she had been. From storms of rain and fire and sticks she fled, not scared but savoring. Freedom, wind, and care.
Watched as they hung, fingertips straining, on the cliffs of desire. That when the thunder passed they might climb back into the soft arms of eden. Skies turning color, like leaves, like dreams.
In the fog of a frozen dawn she awoke. And heard what she thought she had left behind. The steady but soft pull to scream. As demons, they seemed. Not horns but spears, lances, swords. This earth was theirs but if only they could have more.
And then Auli knew. The cliffs had fallen. On this soft sand lay all that could have been but was ignored. That rain is water and desire its shore.

To ignore
It burned down not with the fires of love or lust. Trails of smoke seemed across the horizon - certianly they must have been, but then how did the flames leap at their feet so soon? In the beginning there was wood - the remains of dead trees - to burn. And then that which was green and alive. It burned without pause... it burned with the same fires that they saw so far away. And then in one night, it seemed. In their sleep they drempt and burned. The morning came and the sky was black - smoke and spite-laden air. Regret came and passed and all that was left was the wind - and the fires that Do Not Care.

The Cloud-gods
The cloud-gods tore at the sky and begrudgingly it gave in, weeping. They rolled and swirled about as if restless but lazy. Strings and great twirling strands of silver ran through the air above and the dark gray shapes of the cloud-gods crashed and spun against it and within themselves.
The rain fell not with splashes and gathering puddles but with the reserved patter of water that falls on winter's ground, seeming to fall too slowly. Every now and then the sun would poke out and in the glittering sunshower buds of green seemed ready to burst.
Springtime is almost worse than fall. It is cold and gloomy, but with only little dots of hopeful color on the trees. They seem to be waiting, always looking up. The silver skies wont for blue. And the cloud-gods will always fight.

cosmocrazy
2009-Oct-03, 06:17 PM
I hate Autumn here where I live. The weather is cold and unpredictable, the roads are damp & greasy, the days are mostly dull and dismal with the darkness drawing in fast in the evenings.

LotusExcelle
2009-Oct-03, 06:35 PM
Where do you live, cosmocrazy?

cosmocrazy
2009-Oct-03, 06:41 PM
In the sunny UK! :lol:

mahesh
2009-Oct-03, 06:56 PM
Excelle...that is excellent...
I have to read it a few times to appreciate the beauty.

thanks for sharing

mahesh
2009-Oct-03, 07:01 PM
Hey cosmo...the parks and commons are beautiful, colours turning, crunchy leaves underfoot...lovely walking / stooping into the wind...and gorgeous sunsets...sometimes...

cosmocrazy
2009-Oct-03, 07:06 PM
Hey cosmo...the parks and commons are beautiful, colours turning, crunchy leaves underfoot...lovely walking / stooping into the wind...and gorgeous sunsets...sometimes...

On this I have to agree young Sir, but unfortunately I don't get much chance to stop and take in this natural beauty. 99% of my time is mundane, and the season of Autumn (if at all it can be defined as such anymore) just adds to the grief.

chrissy
2009-Oct-03, 08:47 PM
I love the autumnial colours of the leaves, it is just a shame when they fall off them and the trees look so naked and vulnerable. The spring time is my favourite season, when new life begins again.

kleindoofy
2009-Oct-03, 09:01 PM
I really miss the seasons in New England. There are (or at least were) four very distinct seasons. Frozen ponds where we played hockey all winter, a nice long spring with gradual change, a wunderful summer, and the type of autumn decribed in the OP.

Where I now live in Germany, there are about five to ten days of winter, if we're lucky, the rest is just a very long period of coldish dampness, then there are 6 hours of something that just might resemble spring, then a long period of luke warm/coolish blandness with a few hot days sprinkled in, then about 6 hours of something that just might resemble fall, then the whole things starts again.

Even Heinrich Heine wrote: "Der Sommer in Deutschland ist ein grün angestrichener Winter." ("Summer in Germany is just a winter painted green.")

megrfl
2009-Oct-03, 09:51 PM
I really miss the seasons in New England. There are (or at least were) four very distinct seasons. Frozen ponds where we played hockey all winter, a nice long spring with gradual change, a wunderful summer, and the type of autumn decribed in the OP.

Where I now live in Germany, there are about five to ten days of winter, if we're lucky, the rest is just a very long period of coldish dampness, then there are 6 hours of something that just might resemble spring, then a long period of luke warm/coolish blandness with a few hot days sprinkled in, then about 6 hours of something that just might resemble fall, then the whole things starts again.

Even Heinrich Heine wrote: "Der Sommer in Deutschland ist ein grün angestrichener Winter." ("Summer in Germany is just a winter painted green.")

This would have made a nice addition to the "Missed Things" thread.

http://www.bautforum.com/off-topic-babbling/69359-missed-things.html