PDA

View Full Version : Did man really land on the moon?

jayben
2009-Oct-05, 10:56 PM
it has been one of man's most acclaimed moment...walking on the moon. millions of kids today aspire to be astronauts so they can fly in space. i mean i did, after watching what those guys went through on the movie apollo 13 it made me want to visit the moon for Tom Hanks....but what if it really didn't happen

after watching a [live streaming video] on the internet i second guessed myself. it was stated that the government faked the whole mission and the actual footage of the first visit to the moon was shot here on earth.

but what do you think...have man really walked on the moon? or is it all another conspiracy theory?

Moderator's note: I've removed the link that was originally posted because it doesn't lead to a specific video. Links should be supportive of arguments, questions, or the topic of the post. As it was, the link was only providing traffic to the video hosting site and that's not what BAUT is for.

Update: A little more research indicates this is a targeted "on topic" spam post. User banned.

PetersCreek
2009-Oct-05, 11:17 PM
Welcome to BAUT, jayben. This is an oft-discussed topic here. The Search function will lead to many, many discussions. If you haven't already done so, please familiarize yourself with our rules, linked in my signature line below. Reading the material at the other links wouldn't be a bad idea either. Enjoy!

moog
2009-Oct-05, 11:24 PM
My opinion is that the footage could not possibly have been made on earth.
Even today I would think that the best CGI experts would struggle to recreate much of it.

Take for example this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk5GiF_mX5w
The motion of the dust as he digs is remarkable.

LaurelHS
2009-Oct-06, 12:17 AM
Someone should mention JayUtah's Clavius (http://www.clavius.org) site, so I'll do it. It does a wonderful job of debunking the Apollo hoax arguments.

Also, Jayben, the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter has photographed the Apollo Lunar Module descent stages on the Moon's surface, right where the astronauts left them.
Apollo 11, 14, 15, 16 and 17 sites (http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/multimedia/lroimages/apollosites.html).
Apollo 12 site (http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/multimedia/lroimages/lroc_20090903_apollo12.html).

KaiYeves
2009-Oct-06, 12:44 AM
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: See Clavius.

Count Zero
2009-Oct-06, 01:06 AM
Welcome Jayben! You've come to the right place. The people on this board have access to mountains of information, and you can learn much.

Yes, the Apollo project landed men on the Moon and returned a wealth of data. More than that, it showed the world what awesome things humanity can achieve when we pull together and strive for noble goals. The people who make videos like the one you saw have never really accomplished anything worthwhile, so they try to tear-down the achievements of others so they don't feel so inadequate.

Still, this is a good lesson: Just because it's a slick presentation, and seems to appeal to "common sense", and just because it "sticks it to the man" that doesn't make it true. This is a science board. That means that we look at the preponderance of evidence, and see what that gives us. There is TONS of historical material about Apollo, including pictures, videos, engineering documents, scientific data, memoirs of the people involved, unflown rockets & spacecraft and more. Those who want you to believe it was a hoax really have no evidence. They show you things they do not understand, like shadows & flags, and wave their arms and rant about things they don't know anything about, like space radiation and shielding, but they don't provide any proof that this was faked there by this guy using that method. There is no coherent narrative. The guys who actually made Apollo happen are happy to tell you all about how they did it, in any level of detail you want, and it is all consistent.

I hope you enjoy learning about it as much as I do.

Welcome.

djellison
2009-Oct-06, 11:39 AM
have man really walked on the moon?

Yes.

Next question.

Buttercup
2009-Oct-06, 12:17 PM
Nope.

It was all a big lie. For years. Scientists, engineers, mathematicians, elite pilots and their wives, reporters, etc., all agreed together to lie and pretend for years and over multiple missions.

Man also didn't invent the wheel nor harness fire. We don't have electricity either.

:rolleyes:

Neverfly
2009-Oct-06, 01:36 PM
Sure been getting a lot of hit and runs, lately...

Jason Thompson
2009-Oct-06, 01:38 PM
I don't think it's entirely fair to call a poster who doesn't respond within 15 hours a hit and run. Let's at least give him a chance to come back and comment, shall we?

MAPNUT
2009-Oct-06, 02:41 PM
Jayben, I'd like to give you the 58-year-old's perspective. I lived through the "Space Age" from the first satellite to the first Shuttle, and it was a great time. Science was in the forefront and a scientist was the highest thing you could aspire to. The space program proceeded incrementally, one small advance at a time, and all in the light of public scrutiny and great interest. The Mercury one-man capsules, the Gemini 2-man much longer missions, all with bigger rockets. The Apollo program proceeded in steps from orbital missions to going around the moon, testing all the components, and finally landing and coming back. At the time, any suggestion that the landings themselves were faked, in the midst of all the other accomplishments, would have been ludicrous. It's no less ludicrous today. I remember there was a brief suspicion voiced by some that the Russians faked their spacewalk (a little jealousy because they did it first), but it faded away. As far as Apollo I feel confident in saying I was there, I am a witness, it happened.

JayUtah
2009-Oct-06, 03:06 PM
I don't think it's entirely fair to call a poster who doesn't respond within 15 hours a hit and run. Let's at least give him a chance to come back and comment, shall we?

Especially when everyone told him to go read my site. It's a big site. :)

Jason Thompson
2009-Oct-06, 03:09 PM
Oh yes. Let's all come back in a month or two then... :)

PetersCreek
2009-Oct-06, 03:32 PM
Since the OP has been banned for posting a sneaky sort of "on topic" spam, this thread is closed.