PDA

View Full Version : Good Buy on Phil's Book

jrkeller
2004-Feb-04, 03:41 AM
I happened to be on walmart.com looking to see if they carried any of the moon hoax books. Typing in "Moon Hoax" gave me only one response, Phil's book.

It's price is only 10.05$ and shipping is 2.48

Can't beat that

Maksutov
2004-Feb-14, 06:39 AM
I happened to be on walmart.com looking to see if they carried any of the moon hoax books. Typing in "Moon Hoax" gave me only one response, Phil's book.

It's price is only 10.05$ and shipping is 2.48

Can't beat that

After all I've read about Wal-Mart's marketing practices, I hope Phil's still making a decent profit! :wink:

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Feb-14, 06:00 PM
Decent? Heh. I could have made ten times as much money writing magazine articles! The book is not exactly a runaway bestseller, but it has done very nicely, so I'm happy with its performance.

xbck1
2004-Feb-15, 08:23 AM
Just out of sheer curiosity, how many copies has it sold?

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Feb-15, 07:16 PM
I'm not sure. Something like 20,000 copies or so. Pretty good for a science book, but not even in the noise for a publisher.

Diamond
2004-Feb-17, 09:25 AM
Something like "Bad Astronomy: The Return" or something? :lol:

Betenoire
2004-Mar-18, 06:36 PM
Bad Astronomy: The Revenge

Psionyx
2004-Apr-09, 05:20 PM
Bad Astronomy 2: The Search For More Money. :P

(With apologies to Mel Brooks)

milli360
2004-Apr-09, 06:13 PM
I think ljbrs bought 10,000 of them. Or, she would have.

Mr. X
2004-Apr-10, 06:47 AM
If I may ask the very delicate following question:

To how many bill$ of what denomination do the sold copies translate to for you?

:D

milli360
2004-Apr-10, 11:14 AM
sold copies translate
I can imagine the answer if you mean how big were the checks from the publisher, but there are a lot of indirect benefits--a published book often increases the honorarium (and honoraiiums) as well as the premium one can command for other writing. The publicity increases website traffic too, and therefore ad revenue.

Mr. X
2004-Apr-13, 12:03 AM
I can imagine the answer if you mean how big were the checks from the publisher, but there are a lot of indirect benefits--a published book often increases the honorarium (and honoraiiums) as well as the premium one can command for other writing. The publicity increases website traffic too, and therefore ad revenue.
Honorariiwhat?

What number do you imagine?

milli360
2004-Apr-13, 01:50 PM
Honorariiwhat?
Honorarium (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=honorarium)

What number do you imagine?
No, I said I could imagine his answer. It probably would not involve a number, unless it was "second." :)

Mr. X
2004-Apr-13, 05:16 PM
No, I said I could imagine his answer. It probably would not involve a number, unless it was "second." :)
I don't understand.

What do those sentences mean?

Hutch
2004-May-16, 08:53 PM
I don't understand.

What do those sentences mean?

Taking a stab at it, I think milli may be counting the number of the warning the BA may lay on you. :o

In answer to your question, he might have negotiated a flat fee for the book, he might have been paid by word count (unlikely, it's done more for magazine articles) and he may or may/not have an agreement to be paid a set fee depending on sales.

For any of the above, it's definitely none of our business, which I think is what milli was trying to get across.

The Bad Astronomer
2004-May-16, 11:20 PM
The publisher and I agreed on an amount. That amount of money was "against sales" which means they pay that to me up front, and then I have to sell a certain number of books to make that money back. If I don't sell enough, I make no more money (and they lose money!), but if I sell more than that amount I get royalties.

I sold more than that amount, so now every book sold means I get a royalty. If you want to know how much, then try writing your own book to find out. :D

George
2004-May-22, 08:21 PM
Should not this achievement warrant another book? 8-[

George
2004-May-22, 08:31 PM
Here's a crazy thought....

Start a new book forum for the sole purpose of assisting you in writting a new book. We'll help with additional chapter ideas, historical information, technical research and graphic productions. You know how many here would love to help and free of charge, of course. 8)

Betenoire
2004-May-24, 01:31 PM
Just put our names in the "acknowlegements" section :-D

George
2004-May-24, 02:43 PM
Just put our names in the "acknowlegements" section :-D

Would that be....Dr. Plait and "friends"? Dr. Plait and the 70 dwarfs? :)

Maybe a new set of icons for each one of us would serve in lieu of a reference no. I suppose board names would be better. Major contributors might use real names.

You don't reckon we're gettin' ahead of ourselves just a tad, do ya? :)

Betenoire
2004-May-24, 03:04 PM
You don't reckon we're gettin' ahead of ourselves just a tad, do ya? :)

No. My fifteen minutes waits for nothing.

milli360
2004-May-24, 05:24 PM
Would that be....Dr. Plait and "friends"? Dr. Plait and the 70 dwarfs?
Pack of weirdos (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=8704&highlight=weirdos#8704)

mjparme
2004-May-24, 06:56 PM
An interesting link about what it takes to be a "bestseller":

http://www.midwestbookreview.com/bookbiz/advice/bestlist.htm

ToSeek
2004-May-24, 07:09 PM
An interesting link about what it takes to be a "bestseller":

http://www.midwestbookreview.com/bookbiz/advice/bestlist.htm

I've heard of authors and publishers going out to some of the bookstores polled for the bestseller lists and buying bunches of the books to improve their chances of getting listed.

The Bad Astronomer
2004-May-24, 09:21 PM
Start a new book forum for the sole purpose of assisting you in writting a new book.

Funny you'd say that. I just saw today that Mark Hazlewood is soliciting entries for his third book about Planet X (I wonder... how many times and in how many ways can you say "It doesn't exist"?). I guess now he doesn't even want to collect other people's ideas himself, he wants them to write it up too!

George
2004-May-24, 10:58 PM
Start a new book forum for the sole purpose of assisting you in writting a new book.

Funny you'd say that. I just saw today that Mark Hazlewood is soliciting entries for his third book about Planet X (I wonder... how many times and in how many ways can you say "It doesn't exist"?). I guess now he doesn't even want to collect other people's ideas himself, he wants them to write it up too!

Judging by the "Planet X News" forum with 6 topics and a total of 11 posts, Planet X News forum (http://www.planetxnews.net/nibiru/modules.php?name=Forums) , I'd say your efforts should be more fruitful. :)

I have avoided Planet X entirely until now (as I am really wanting to learn astronomy primarily). I just tried to find the solicitation reference. Here is the very first Planet X thing I have ever read...

Nancy Lieder has suggested that a world-wide cataclysm may strike the Earth as early as the year 2003. The cause will be a planet, known to the ancients but as of yet undiscovered by modern man, which may pass very near the earth as part of its normal 3600 year orbit around the sun

Maybe he's hurting for some fresh imagination. :)

I figure you probably have considered this idea of possibly using your friendly forum "collective" to help you with something like a book. I think you would be pleased to see just how hard your board brethern would work to support a worthy "enteriprise". :)