PDA

View Full Version : International Star Council

aporetic_r
2004-Feb-06, 02:26 AM
It finally happened to me. This evening I received an email from one of those name-a-star places, advertising their services as a great Valentine's Day present. Their website is www.zazinga.com, but I won't go there because I don't want it polluting my browser's history file. I feel so unclean.

Aporetic

Superluminal
2004-Feb-06, 03:34 AM
I know what you mean, every time I hear a commercial for Star Registry, I want to put my fist through the radio. A few years back an elderly couple came to a star party sponsored by the astronomy club I belong to. They want to see the star they had named after a deceased grandson.

What could we do? Burst their bubble and tell them that they had been scammed? They had the coordinates, so one of our members pointed his telescope and showed them a star, they left happy, but the rest of us felt kinda :( .

aporetic_r
2004-Feb-06, 04:36 AM
Ouch, Walter, that's a tough situation. I suppose that was all you could do, though. Naming a star after a deceased grandson is a very poetic thing to do, but it's a shame they actually paid a scam artist when it would have the same effect if they just decided to start calling some random star by his name.

Aporetic

Glom
2004-Feb-06, 10:53 AM
What magnitude of star was it? Usually they're pretty faint such that a big honkin' dish is needed to see them.

When dgruss23 called up ISR, they admitted that the star naming was a novelty gift and had no scientific basis and would only be remembered as long as the company was in business or its own records were intact. But if they admit that the gift is phony, why not pick bright stars that you can actually see?

Rift
2004-Feb-06, 04:09 PM
Here's a similar story about an incident an astronomer at a planetarium had...

http://home.carolina.rr.com/nirgal/buyastar.html

Madcat
2004-Feb-07, 01:34 AM
What really bothers me is the Lunar Embassy. I wrote the guy a nasty letter when I first heard about it and we ended up arguing for a few days.

Superluminal
2004-Feb-07, 01:49 AM
Glom, yes the star was pretty faint, about 7 or 8th mag.

Jpax2003
2004-Feb-07, 02:23 AM
What really bothers me is the Lunar Embassy. I wrote the guy a nasty letter when I first heard about it and we ended up arguing for a few days.

What did you expect? He believes he legally owns the moon and mars and just about everything else in the universe by fiat until someone proves to him that he doesn't legally own it. Just like any other unelected dictator, he'll continue to think he's in charge until he's forcibly removed.

Andromeda321
2004-Feb-07, 02:52 AM
But if they admit that the gift is phony, why not pick bright stars that you can actually see?

If they do they're probably more likely to be told the star isn't actually theirs (if you get Aldebaran you'll prolly be really miffled if you hear people calling it Aldebaran later on whereas no one's gonna check out a dim star's real name). That and there are only so many bright stars so even if you did name them you would run out pretty quick!
Though when the ISR starts getting a little low on funds I'm sure it'll come up: pay extra for a brighter star/ request a star/ etc.

tracer
2004-Dec-15, 01:25 AM
Is this "International Star Council" any relation to the "Universal Star Council"?

I just got Spam from the latter group today, you see. And of course, I'm terribly worried that they might not be the same group, because heaven forbid I register a star with one group only to have the same star registered to somebody else by the other. :roll:

badprof
2004-Dec-15, 06:38 PM
A friend of mine working at an observatory which I will not name, recently sent me an email about a "Star Adotpion Plant" that they have started.

We only adopt out stars, we don't give people the impression that they "own" the star or can change its name.

The Adoption is only for a 7 year period for a Mag 7 to 8 star (our faintest). Plus they get a viewing night for 1 hour to come up to view their adopted star through one of our scopes. There is a whole lot more to it but I won't bore you. ....All the money goes to support the Obs in such things as Public Ed, Public OUtreach and research.

I am still not sure if I like this or not. On one hand, it is better than the ISR and the money is at least being used to further astronomy. But it still seems to much like they are prostituting themselves. Why not ask for donations and then name asteroid discoveries in honour of the donors?

Regards,

Maurice

Doodler
2004-Dec-15, 06:52 PM
AGGRAVATING!!! As I sit here and read this post, I reach the bottom of the page and all four sites advertised are various "name a star" scams!
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

No HTML guru am I, so this is just the quick copy/paste of them.

Int'l Star Registry
We Have Named Over 1,000,000 Stars A Unique Gift for Someone Special

Name A Star
1,000,000 + Stars Named Makes a Great Gift

A Better Name a Star Gift
Much more for your money; see our comparison of features now

Star Naming
Compare prices on Star Naming Search over 200,000 stores!

Ads by Goooooogle

ChibiVader
2004-Dec-15, 07:00 PM
Pssh. I didn't bother getting a star named after me.

I got a whole GALAXY for the same price.

8)

Swift
2004-Dec-15, 07:21 PM
A friend of mine working at an observatory which I will not name, recently sent me an email about a "Star Adotpion Plant" that they have started.

We only adopt out stars, we don't give people the impression that they "own" the star or can change its name.

Yes, but once you adopt them you have to feed them and take them for walks and take them to the vet when they get big and red and bloated. And if its a variable then the neighboring solar systems are constantly complaining that the fluctuating light is keeping them up at night.

Cats are so much easier. #-o :roll: :D

tracer
2004-Dec-15, 07:51 PM
Yes, but once you adopt them you have to feed them and take them for walks and take them to the vet when they get big and red and bloated.
I'd like to see the veterinarian building big enough to accomodate a red giant! :o

badprof
2004-Dec-15, 09:39 PM
I'd like to see the veterinarian building big enough to accomodate a red giant! :o

My worry would be meeting the people/beings/entities that built it!!! :o

Maurice

mickal555
2004-Dec-22, 11:44 AM
AGGRAVATING!!! As I sit here and read this post, I reach the bottom of the page and all four sites advertised are various "name a star" scams!
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

No HTML guru am I, so this is just the quick copy/paste of them.

Int'l Star Registry
We Have Named Over 1,000,000 Stars A Unique Gift for Someone Special

Name A Star
1,000,000 + Stars Named Makes a Great Gift

A Better Name a Star Gift
Much more for your money; see our comparison of features now

Star Naming
Compare prices on Star Naming Search over 200,000 stores!

Ads by Goooooogle
yeah...... I see that too........... I think the BA has some control over that Pm him.....