PDA

View Full Version : Say...

Madcat
2004-Feb-06, 12:46 PM
I was reading the "Black Hole Doom" article just now, and I had a funny thought- little black holes dissapate quickly via Hawking Radiation, right? (they do)

That converts all of the hole's mass into energy right? :-?

If so, why are we messing around with fusion reactors if we can just make little black holes that go *pop* and harness the energy?

Normandy6644
2004-Feb-06, 12:50 PM
I would guess that, assuming we develop the know-how and technology for this, it would require more energy to create and sustain a "mini-black hole" than we would get out of it. Plus it seems like it would be waaaay to easy to get out of control, and we all know about the protests against nuclear power, and those would only destroy part of the earth. :D

Kaptain K
2004-Feb-06, 12:52 PM
I was reading the "Black Hole Doom" article just now, and I had a funny thought- little black holes dissapate quickly via Hawking Radiation, right? (they do)

That converts all of the hole's mass into energy right? :-?

If so, why are we messing around with fusion reactors if we can just make little black holes that go *pop* and harness the energy?
Because it takes more energy to make one than you can get out of it! 8)

Glom
2004-Feb-06, 01:33 PM

You are hereby charged with conspiracy to violate the laws of thermodynamics by attempting to extract more energy from a system than you put in when said system depends entirely on the energy you put in.

Diamond
2004-Feb-06, 01:35 PM

You are hereby charged with conspiracy to violate the laws of thermodynamics by attempting to extract more energy from a system than you put in when said system depends entirely on the energy you put in.

Heresy! [-X

Starbuck
2004-Feb-06, 01:48 PM
But the Romulans (http://www.cm.nu/~shane/lists/rec.arts.startrek.tech/2002-01/0104.html) do it all the time!

Swift
2004-Feb-06, 02:32 PM
John Varley (yes, its science FICTION) had an idea for using small black holes for generating energy - dump your garbage in. As the matter falls in you get x-rays and other radiation. You need a way to convert the x-rays to usable power.

Amadeus
2004-Feb-06, 03:38 PM
John Varley (yes, its science FICTION) had an idea for using small black holes for generating energy - dump your garbage in. As the matter falls in you get x-rays and other radiation. You need a way to convert the x-rays to usable power.

Sounds handy! Can I get one for under my sink? :lol:

Also is this like "Mr Fusion" from the end of back to the future?

mike alexander
2004-Feb-06, 11:36 PM
Clarke used one in his Asymptotic Drive in Imperial Earth.

Madcat
2004-Feb-07, 01:21 AM
Why would this require more energy to be put in? The black hole is going to give out all the energy of the matter it ingested over time- making one takes more energy than that? Why?