PDA

View Full Version : Ares I-X Booster Damaged

Fraser
2009-Oct-29, 10:50 PM
Divers recovering the booster rocket used in the Ares I-X test flight found it to be badly dented when they located it in the Atlantic Ocean. The damage could have occurred as it hit the water. Video from the booster cut out, so NASA said they do not yet know if all three of [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2009/10/29/ares-i-x-booster-damaged/)

EricFD
2009-Oct-30, 01:16 AM
It's funny, but it always seems to be the parachutes that is one of the things that they have the most problems with, with new spacecraft. I remember the problems they had with the parachute for the descent vehicle for the Mars Rovers.

Eric

TheHalcyonYear
2009-Oct-30, 02:35 AM
Parachutes are sort of on the critical path. Small weaknesses in the system tend to be magnified by failure. :)

A friend of mine has a father who use to fold and pack parachutes during WWII. He says that it didn't take much at all to make a parachute "roman candle" (or something like that) so packing was exacting and nerve racking. I suspect this is still true.

Oh yeah, once a month (week or month, I forget which) it was standard procedure for someone would pick a chute that my friend's father had packed and he would be required to jump from a plane with that chute. I guess it improved quality control.

trinitree88
2009-Oct-30, 10:26 AM
Parachutes are sort of on the critical path. Small weaknesses in the system tend to be magnified by failure. :)

A friend of mine has a father who use to fold and pack parachutes during WWII. He says that it didn't take much at all to make a parachute "roman candle" (or something like that) so packing was exacting and nerve racking. I suspect this is still true.

Oh yeah, once a month (week or month, I forget which) it was standard procedure for someone would pick a chute that my friend's father had packed and he would be required to jump from a plane with that chute. I guess it improved quality control.

Yep. That's why they have the guys from the shipyard ride the maiden voyage on nuclear subs....seems the welders were skipping welds in the hard to reach forward sections of the sub's noses, and the failures were not from engineering designs, but executions of same.