PDA

View Full Version : Ares I-X Manager Addresses Booster Damage, Stage Tumbling and Thrust Oscillation

Fraser
2009-Oct-30, 05:50 PM
The damage seen on the Ares I-X booster occurred as a result of parachute failure, which caused the rocket to impact the water harder than expected. Ares I-X manager Bob Ess briefed reporters today on the preliminary data from Wednesday's test flight of NASA new rocket, and said the parachute failure was not a significant [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2009/10/30/ares-i-x-manager-addresses-booster-damage-stage-tumbling-and-thrust-oscillation/)

CJSF
2009-Oct-30, 06:18 PM
How is having the J-2X engine helpful in regards to stage 2 tumbling? The tumbling happened almost immediately after separation. You have to have some time between separation and stage 2 ignition, right? Something still doesn't seem right about this particular part of the flight, but I am sure it will all get sorted out.

CJSF

publiusr
2009-Nov-06, 11:15 PM
Some more discussion at www.nasaspaceflight.com

I expect the Ares bashers to be in force.

HenrikOlsen
2009-Nov-07, 01:49 PM
How is having the J-2X engine helpful in regards to stage 2 tumbling? The tumbling happened almost immediately after separation. You have to have some time between separation and stage 2 ignition, right? Something still doesn't seem right about this particular part of the flight, but I am sure it will all get sorted out.

CJSF
Different center of gravity making it less unstable.

CJSF
2009-Nov-07, 02:36 PM
Oh. I thought they also simulated the weight distribution in the dummy stage. I thought they'd go for bettery fidelity with the proposed "real" upper stage.

CJSF