PDA

View Full Version : Astrology book moved

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Apr-08, 09:17 PM
I will be doing a book signing here at the Sonoma State University bookstore later this month. I was looking through the astronomy section there, and what should I find but an astrology book!

Ironically, it was sitting next to the Cliff's Notes astronomy book, for which I was the technical editor, and Sten Odenwald's "Astronomy Cafe" book (Sten is an oldd friend of mine).

I mentioned this misplacement to the bookstore staff, and the offending material was immediately moved to the metaphysics section. Hurray!

Wiley
2002-Apr-08, 11:00 PM
You go, BA!

Gets crick in neck from doin' a head bob

DStahl
2002-Apr-09, 05:26 AM
BA: "Sten is an oldd friend of mine."

I assume "oldd" is a combination, alá Edward Lear, of odd and old? *grin*

--Don Stahl

2002-Apr-09, 11:08 AM
<a name="20020409.4:53"> page 20020409.4:53 aka Though Controls
On 2002-04-09 01:26, DStahl wrote:
BA: "Sten is an oldd friend of mine."

I assume "oldd" is a combination, alá Edward Lear, of odd and old? *grin*
So I to wil try a Hi Ascii my fave the CENT sign ›
hmm that was strange i pressed Alt 155 and nothing
then when i hit the enter key{cr-lf} it appeared [Hmm?]
anyway I once went here [OreGone] to Lewis & Clark {Law School}
Monica L. etc.. and found they have no Geology books in their Library {hmm#2} & I like Geology2. {oh well}4:59 A.M.PST

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Apr-09, 01:23 PM
On 2002-04-09 07:08, HUb' wrote:
and found they have no Geology books in their Library {hmm#2} & I like Geology2
I suppose a law school might have some geology books--some sort of property law, or mineral rights, might be important to someone, but a lot of schools sequester their geology collection in the science library (http://janus.uoregon.edu/screens/cscimap.gif) or even a separate geological sciences library (http://www.lib.unc.edu/geollib/).

Another Phobos
2002-Apr-10, 03:29 PM
Reminds me of when I worked in a bookstore many years ago & a customer tried to convince me that the astrology books should be kept in the science section. egad.

chris l.
2002-Apr-10, 04:30 PM
In the astronomy section of the library where I am a high school math teacher, I found a book called "The Globe Theater" Laughed out loud!

The Curtmudgeon
2002-Apr-10, 05:27 PM
As a librophile, one of my favourite jobs was working two years in the campus library while at Baylor University. Shelving returned books was primary, of course, but we were also supposed to check each section where we were shelving and pull any books found out of their appropriate area. To this day, I still do it in bookstores.

Since a lot of my reading is historical/archaeological, a similar problem to the astrology-in-the-astronomy-section that I often see is pyramidiocy and Atlantis books in the ancient history/archaeology sections. Of course, since many of the pyramidiots tie the Pointy Mounds of Stone to the stars in Orion's Belt, I've found a few in the astronomy section, too.

The (burning books should be outlawed, but I'll make an exception for Graham Hancock's) Curtmudgeon

moonbuggy
2002-Apr-10, 11:22 PM
On 2002-04-09 07:08, HUb' wrote:

anyway I once went here [OreGone] to Lewis & Clark {Law School}
Monica L. etc.. and found they have no Geology books in their Library {hmm#2}

HUb', was this a pun! OreGone - no geology books?

Peter