PDA

View Full Version : Victimized by Google

NEOWatcher
2009-Nov-12, 07:20 PM
Help! I'm being experimented on without my consent.

I just started getting the Google disappearing act (http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20091030/goog-page/).

Ok; it really doesn't cause a problem, but it just doesn't make sense. Everything disappears off the page until you mouse over it.

They say it's to simplify the home page. What?
Having things appear and disappear is simpler than just having a static page?

And if this is an experiment, where do I send my results?

Fazor
2009-Nov-12, 07:23 PM
Interesting. In all honesty, I rarely see the Google homepage. If I want to search Google, I just use the Google search box on the Firefox toolbar, so that takes me directly to the search results.

NEOWatcher
2009-Nov-12, 08:34 PM
Interesting. In all honesty, I rarely see the Google homepage. If I want to search Google, I just use the Google search box on the Firefox toolbar, so that takes me directly to the search results.
Well; I'm a minimalist when it comes to toolbars. The less the better. I don't like things taking up screen real estate.

An extra click or two I don't mind. And; I don't want to go installing anything on my machine that has to potential for bugging me for updates or anything like that.

It's the one huge thing I hate about Vista. Give me back my menu's and get rid of that stupid ribbon. Before you know it, the entire app is going to be icons, and the document window is going to look like just another icon.

The Backroad Astronomer
2009-Nov-12, 08:43 PM
I generally use my i google page.

Fazor
2009-Nov-12, 08:56 PM
In Firefox, the search box is built in. I agree about extra toolbars. Yahoo's is particularly annoying, as no matter how many times I 'uninstall' it from my g/f's pc, it always seems to want to install itself again.

I'm not a "fan"of toolbar clutter either, but have just grown accoustomed to the default UI. Inspired by your post though, I did figure out I could move the few useful buttons from the navigation bar down to the main toolbar, then get rid of the superfluous toolbar. So that helped. Now if I could only find a way to get rid of the tabs, but still keep their utility . . .

HenrikOlsen
2009-Nov-12, 09:45 PM
At least the tabs are fairly small, and not the huge "Look kids!!! TABS!!!" monstrosities they hobbled IE with.

Nick Theodorakis
2009-Nov-12, 09:51 PM
In Firefox, the search box is built in. I agree about extra toolbars. Yahoo's is particularly annoying, as no matter how many times I 'uninstall' it from my g/f's pc, it always seems to want to install itself again.

I'm not a "fan"of toolbar clutter either, but have just grown accoustomed to the default UI. Inspired by your post though, I did figure out I could move the few useful buttons from the navigation bar down to the main toolbar, then get rid of the superfluous toolbar. So that helped. Now if I could only find a way to get rid of the tabs, but still keep their utility . . .

You can get partially there by Tools > Options > Tabs and unchecking the "always show the tab bar" box. Then if you have only one tab open the tab bar won't show. CTRL-T will still open a new tab if you want one.

Nick

tdvance
2009-Nov-12, 11:04 PM
Help! I'm being experimented on without my consent.

I just started getting the Google disappearing act (http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20091030/goog-page/).

Ok; it really doesn't cause a problem, but it just doesn't make sense. Everything disappears off the page until you mouse over it.

They say it's to simplify the home page. What?
Having things appear and disappear is simpler than just having a static page?

And if this is an experiment, where do I send my results?

I'm not seeing that--I assume by Google home page you mean www.google.com.

sarongsong
2009-Nov-13, 05:31 AM
Help! I'm being experimented on without my consent..."Product Research!" http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
8/26/2008
...At any given time, we run anywhere from 50 to 200 experiments on Google sites all over the world...a lot of people dedicated to detecting everything Google changes...latch on to a lot of our more prominent experiments. But the experiments with smaller changes are almost never noticed...
googleblog (http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/search-experiments-large-and-small.html)
And if this is an experiment, where do I send my results?Maybe you have to be in the club?
...We figure out what works by running experiments - tiny tests for a small number of users...
...UPDATE
..."...Today, we’re testing several homepage design changes. This is just a test, and a way for us to gauge whether our users will like an even simpler search interface.”...
digitaldaily (http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20091030/goog-page/)

mugaliens
2009-Nov-13, 08:25 PM
Well; I'm a minimalist when it comes to toolbars. The less the better. I don't like things taking up screen real estate.

Same here. I wish Windows 7 included an option to pin all toolbars into one systray icon.

It's the one huge thing I hate about Vista. Give me back my menu's and get rid of that stupid ribbon. Before you know it, the entire app is going to be icons, and the document window is going to look like just another icon.

Ribbon?

novaderrik
2009-Nov-14, 06:55 PM
i have Vista setup to look and feel mostly like win 98- i think it is called "windows classic mode" or something likethat.. it is very uncluttered and easy to use compared to my mom's computer that had vista looking like vista..

jokergirl
2009-Nov-15, 08:25 AM
In Opera, you can define search shortcuts. Google even comes predefined. I just type "g <search terms>" in the address bar.
(You can set up searches for any input field you encounter on the web. I have "wiki X", "leo X", and even "puns x" :lol: You can also highlight a word on a page and search from any of the set-up searches)

;)

traceur
2009-Nov-16, 02:18 PM
not entirely related beyond the thread title, but...

due to limited AI, my good old friend google-ads doesn't know that due to a recent 5 month trip and a current displacement period i have given my cat for the safekeeping of friends until i settle down..

as such, it continues to try & give me advice about cat food and cat related products, completely ignoring the painful distance i am expiriencing from my cat. further more, my cat seems very angry seen & hearing me on skype without smelling me, finding itself in a paradox it has recently tried to resolve by scratching a sensitive flat screen with open claws, one i had to pay for... this whole thing has gone completely out of hand, and i quite wish that google ads will stop treating me like a cat owner.

the question is: how do i inform google ads that i am no longer interested in cat products, and that it has a higher chance of getting me to click with ads for interstellar brothels?

Salty
2009-Nov-16, 06:46 PM
I no longer have Google for a home page, so they don't experiment on me. My friend put Mozilla Firefox in this computer and that's my search home page. It of course has the Google window.

Sounds like Google's not as friendly as it once was and is now getting uppity with its customers. What a shame.

coreybv
2009-Nov-16, 07:27 PM
the question is: how do i inform google ads that i am no longer interested in cat products, and that it has a higher chance of getting me to click with ads for interstellar brothels?

Do you have adblock plus installed?