PDA

View Full Version : Forest park in Scotland given Dark Sky honour

Sticks
2009-Nov-16, 09:09 AM
From BBC News Online (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/south_of_scotland/8361244.stm)

Galloway Forest Park has been officially unveiled as the first Dark Sky Park in the UK.

The award, announced by the International Dark Sky Association, confirmed Galloway as one of the best places for stargazing in the world.

Lighting experts were brought in to ensure the skies above the forest park were pitch black at night.

The organisers of Galloway's bid said they hoped the award would boost tourism in south west Scotland.

A great first for the UK

However as always they get some minister from the government to comment on this good news and we get this wonderful gem

Environment Minister Roseanna Cunningham said the worldwide interest in the Dark Skies initiative would put the forest park "firmly in the spotlight".
:rolleyes:

Middenrat
2009-Nov-17, 03:44 AM
This will be fine as long as midges aren't nocturnal. It's going on my trip list for 2010 so I'll be reporting.

grant hutchison
2009-Nov-17, 12:10 PM
This will be fine as long as midges aren't nocturnal.Indeed. Second-worst midge experience I've ever had was at Galloway Forest Park. We were trapped in the car for an hour, and then gave up and drove to the beach.

Grant Hutchison

Glom
2009-Nov-17, 12:13 PM
This was probably the prompting for a spot on BBC London where they talked about living at the other end of the bell curve. Then they did some misleading advertising by suggesting that if we had more efficient street lighting, the sky would look like it does in the 2 hour exposures.

Glom
2009-Nov-17, 12:22 PM
This news got a mention in The Daily Mash (http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/).

Lianachan
2009-Nov-17, 02:19 PM
Well done to all concerned who managed to get this awarded, but.... come on. Dark? Try it up here! There are 100's of square miles up here in the Highlands & Islands with absolutely no light pollution whatsoever.