PDA

View Full Version : NEO observation programs

jumpjack
2009-Nov-18, 06:37 PM
I googled around and looked for info in NASA NEO site, but couldn't find any statistical data, so I'm asking it here:
how much part of the sky, and for how long in a day is it monitored for approaching NEOs? I was quite surprised by the asteroid passed half the GEO orbit near Earth some days ago, being spotted only a few hours before it reached minimum distance, as I thought the sky was constantly monitored for such events.
Is it not? :confused:

StupendousMan
2009-Nov-18, 07:27 PM
One of the large active sky survey projects is the Catalina Sky Survey. Try looking them up and reading about their work. You could post what you discover here so others can learn, too.

antoniseb
2009-Nov-18, 08:22 PM
I googled around and looked for info in NASA NEO site, but couldn't find any statistical data, so I'm asking it here:
how much part of the sky, and for how long in a day is it monitored for approaching NEOs? I was quite surprised by the asteroid passed half the GEO orbit near Earth some days ago, being spotted only a few hours before it reached minimum distance, as I thought the sky was constantly monitored for such events.

This object was seven meters across. Even if we were staring all the time in every direction, we probably wouldn't have seen it much earlier.

bebe7
2009-Nov-18, 08:24 PM

One of those Ivy league schools has a good NEO/Minor Planet page, it would be very useful.

Bebe