PDA

View Full Version : Big Moon Illusion in Hidalgo

Chip
2004-Feb-16, 02:25 AM
Saw the coming attractions for the adventure movie "Hidalgo" - about an 1890 horse race across Saudi Arabia. One scene depicted night riders moving away from you, up a sand dune with the moon rising in front of them. An ENORMOUS moon. Quite impressive.

In the movie its done with computers (they can do almost anything these days) but there is a way to get that effect in a picture. If you place someone on a hill and shoot a picture of them from far away with a telephoto lens as the moon rises behind them, and crop just the area where they are...

beck0311
2004-Feb-16, 05:35 AM
Yeah, I saw the same thing. The Moon looked even bigger than it did in Joe versus the Volcano.

Chip
2004-Feb-26, 08:20 AM
Hey - I saw the movie in a sneak preview. Guess what: the Moon scene isn't in it. (At least in the print I saw.) Its only in the preview!

(*Its a really good flick. Great "Horse movie" too.) :P

Ripper 2.0
2004-Feb-26, 01:20 PM
It looks like I may get my wife to go to a western. She does not like them like I do, but this one has Viggo. I guess she thinks he's cute or something.

gethen
2004-Feb-26, 02:02 PM
It looks like I may get my wife to go to a western. She does not like them like I do, but this one has Viggo. I guess she thinks he's cute or something.
She's right.

Zamboni
2004-Feb-26, 10:03 PM
"What's the difference between Viggo and a horse?"

MAPNUT
2004-Feb-27, 02:15 PM
Is this another movie in which Viggo never gets to wash his hair?

Chuck
2004-Feb-28, 03:29 AM
They should have used Mars instead of the moon. Of couse, the horseman would have to be a lot farther away and they'd need a much more powerful telephoto lens. They should wait for the next close approach.

TimH
2004-Mar-02, 02:29 PM
"What's the difference between Viggo and a horse?"

*shrug* Beats me, what's the difference?

LTC8K6
2004-Mar-02, 09:20 PM
It's too bad the race probably never took place, though.
Not that it matters much if it makes a good movie, but if they are billing it as a true story when it's not...... :roll:

http://www.thelongridersguild.com/hopkins.htm

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&section=0&article=40361&d=1&m=3&y=2004