PDA

View Full Version : SG1 - Failsafe episode (spoilers)

Jim
2002-Apr-09, 02:48 PM
Some good astronomy in this one!

The plot is a large asteroid on a collision course with earth. The good astronomy:
1) The asteroid is discovered by an amateur who contacts an observatory for confirmation;
2) The discovery is made only about 14 days before impact;
3) The plan to avoid disaster involves setting off an explosion to change the path of the asteroid (not pulverize it).

One "inside joke" was a character a little anxious about going through the Stargate because "it defies the laws of physics and you know it."

sideways
2003-Sep-17, 10:41 PM
What I really liked about "Fail Safe" is that in this episode they recognize hyperspace as being a different "realm" of space than normal space. Constrast this with "Red Sky" where they claim that a wormhole can travel through a star. But I though wormholes didn't travel through normal space. I thought they traveled through hyperspace or some other higher-dimensional space!
:roll:

Glom
2003-Sep-18, 09:28 AM
2) The discovery is made only about 14 days before impact;

I'm not sure if that is good. An asteroid is pretty large and could be seen from much further away. However, given that Anubis tucked the thing through hyperspace, the mystery is pretty much solved. Even before knowing this, Carter tried to rationalise it by saying it was outside the ecliptic. I don't see how that would make a difference, but points for effort. Better than Armageddon where they don't see anything wrong with a Texas sized asteroid going undetected until only 18 days before impact.

There has always been issues with Goa'uld ships blowing up in LEO and no-one noticing. Hence you get 'Disclosure', where the great powers were finally called in to have their questions about these strange occurance answered.

Constrast this with "Red Sky" where they claim that a wormhole can travel through a star.

If you try to analyse the bad science in 'Red Sky', you'll never finish. Still thought it had some good things though.

It features the usual red digital readout sequence. In the commentary Paul Mullie said that whenever you see a red digital readout, you know someone is going to be hastily working in the last few seconds to cut some wires and that every episode should have one.

However, unlike Armageddon, where the munitions expert didn't know anything about the thing, Carter did know which wires needed to be cut to deactivate the bomb. The only problem was some gimp built it wrong. It's an improvement.

However, I don't find these sequences particularly compelling. We know if O'Neill cut the wrong wire, they'd all be blown up, which I knew couldn't happen because I'd already seen the next episode on the DVD. You know he's doing to cut the right one. Now, if they do a red digital readout scene with Siler or Gary Jones, that would be compelling.