PDA

View Full Version : Presented As A Public Service

Big Brother Dunk
2009-Nov-26, 11:20 PM
As Canadians traveling in the UK, my wife and I were often mistaken for Americans. It was suggested in another thread that it was because it was difficult to differentiate between Canadian and American accents. Well rest assured that most Canadians feel our "Canadian accent" is in no way like an American accent. And that is certainly the case the farther south one goes. I've been to Texas a couple of times and I managed to pick up some of the local dialect.

Initiate:
After shopping my wife had a cheeseburger, initiate a bag of potato chips.

Mayonnaise:
Mayonnaise a lotta people here today.

Aorta:
Aorta get to work on that fence afore the cows get out. Y'all know what I'm saying?

Omelet:
Omelet you have the rest of that there taco.

Dayum:
Dayum, it's hot today.

Tar:
Gee, I hope that brother of mine don't git a flat tar in my pickup truck.

Tire:
I sure do hope to see that Eiffel Tire in Paris someday

By the way, the term "ya'll" can often refer to only one person. When addressing many people, I believe the common term is "ya'll ya'll".

I'm sure there are many, many more examples so feel free to add to the list.

rommel543
2009-Nov-27, 08:25 PM
Yes but depending on what part of Canada you're from, you can get other types of dialects popping up. With you being from S'toon I'm sure you hear a lot of "not-even eh" "mNaaaaaaa, whatever" "mNaaaa, sick, Ehhhhhh". Of course you need to pepper in some expletives to get the authentic sound.

And don't forget to not use to much lip when when you say "over der eh". :D

Big Brother Dunk
2009-Nov-27, 10:21 PM
Yes but depending on what part of Canada you're from, you can get other types of dialects popping up. With you being from S'toon I'm sure you hear a lot of "not-even eh" "mNaaaaaaa, whatever" "mNaaaa, sick, Ehhhhhh". Of course you need to pepper in some expletives to get the authentic sound.

And don't forget to not use to much lip when when you say "over der eh". :D
HAH! I said the phrases out loud and got a chuckle. Yes I've heard those before. :D

To be honest though, I've been across this country from coast to coast and other than the Maritimes, I haven't noticed much regional dialect.

antoniseb
2009-Nov-28, 03:27 AM
I've closed this thread for two reasons. One is that we got a complaint about it being insulting to people from the Southern US. The second is my own reason that some or all of these are copyrighted material from Jeff Foxworthy.