PDA

View Full Version : How to calculate Martian seasons by earth date

majic
2004-Feb-17, 11:54 PM
Well I found a small problem...I am in need of a way to simply figure out what season it is on a certain photo I am looking at. (satellite)

Now what I have with each photo is the date in earth time...how can I somehow revert this back to a Martian spring/summer/winter/fall ?

This is what I have found up to now :

Northern spring / southern fall: 199.6 (Earth) days
Northern summer / southern winter: 181.7
Northern fall / southern spring: 145.6
Northern winter / southern summer: 160.1

Now I cant imagine there being no websites that have comparison tables for example...anyone help me out? Much appreciated!

majic
2004-Feb-18, 07:47 PM
Guys,

I do appreciate it if you tell me something :)

Either what I'm asking is so incredibly stupid that you are all thinking "please, use google" , or its uncommon enough not to be known by anyone..

Well I used google, and although I'm not a bad googler, I could not find anything that could answer my question - just lots of hits with related, but not specific matters..

Thanks again!

Nowhere Man
2004-Feb-18, 11:41 PM
Your best bet would be to find Earth dates for Martian solstices and equinoxes and start counting from the one nearest to your picture's date.

There is no relation between Earth's calendar and the Martian seasons. (rhetorical) Why should there be?

Fred

daver
2004-Feb-19, 12:44 AM
Your best bet would be to find Earth dates for Martian solstices and equinoxes and start counting from the one nearest to your picture's date.

There is no relation between Earth's calendar and the Martian seasons. (rhetorical) Why should there be?

Fred

I think he was hoping for a calendar convsion routine--some web site that allowed you to input an earth date and which would return the Mars season. There's a JAVA applet which was mentioned in another thread which will give you things like the sun angle and such; you might try downloading it (or reading the users manual) and seeing if it will do what you want.

http://www.giss.nasa.gov/tools/mars24/

majic
2004-Feb-19, 01:55 AM

Fred

I think he was hoping for a calendar convsion routine--some web site that allowed you to input an earth date and which would return the Mars season. There's a JAVA applet which was mentioned in another thread which will give you things like the sun angle and such; you might try downloading it (or reading the users manual) and seeing if it will do what you want.

http://www.giss.nasa.gov/tools/mars24/

Daver, thanks!
Although the program cannot be modified to display PAST data, it is quite versatile for a number of other projects I might start working on soon.

Thanks a lot, wonderfull site/tool!

daver
2004-Feb-19, 05:24 PM
Daver, thanks!
Although the program cannot be modified to display PAST data, it is quite versatile for a number of other projects I might start working on soon.

Thanks a lot, wonderfull site/tool!

Ah, shucks. Actually, I didn't find the site; it was Nanoda who originally posted the link.

The user manual says that there are three modes of operating the applet--one that displays the current time on Mars, one that displays the current time plus an offset (maybe for speed of light lag? maybe so you can plan what you want to do tomorrow), and one that allows you to enter the date (it says that the date is parsed in a relatively stupid fashion). You might want to poke around a bit more.