PDA

View Full Version : Ghosts of Christmas Dinners past

Lord Jubjub
2009-Dec-01, 01:40 AM
Which have you enjoyed in the past as part of a Holiday Feast? Select all that you want.

If you pick 'other', what was it?

And if you want to leave any mouthwatering comments, please do so.

Lord Jubjub
2009-Dec-01, 01:44 AM
I've made hasenpfeffer. 'Twas a bit gamy, but interesting.

Chuck
2009-Dec-01, 02:15 AM
It's usually ham or turkey. For my first Christmas away from home I bought myself a burrito at a convenience store. The girl at the checkout counter was the only person I talked to that day. My mother tried to call me but couldn't get through. This was in 1977.

Gillianren
2009-Dec-01, 02:48 AM
I made waffles once. It was the Christmas I spent alone in the dorms.

LaurelHS
2009-Dec-01, 03:04 AM
On the subject of the past, my birthday is very close to Christmas and when I was little, my mom used to make a cake shaped like a Christmas tree with green frosting and different candies arranged on top to look like ornaments. Strictly speaking, this probably doesn't count as Christmas dinner, but it was so nice of her to do this for me, I can't resist mentioning it. :)

swampyankee
2009-Dec-01, 03:08 AM
My sister-in-law does the traditional 7 fishes of Christmas Eve (well, the culinary definition of "fish" does include scallops, langoustine, and shrimp ;)).

Gillianren
2009-Dec-01, 03:57 AM
On the subject of the past, my birthday is very close to Christmas and when I was little, my mom used to make a cake shaped like a Christmas tree with green frosting and different candies arranged on top to look like ornaments. Strictly speaking, this probably doesn't count as Christmas dinner, but it was so nice of her to do this for me, I can't resist mentioning it. :)

My mother very much would not have done that for me. (My birthday's Sunday.) To this day, I rebel against the conflation with my birthday and Christmas. What's worse, I have friends who are twins born on the twenty-third. I make very sure to, when I'm giving them presents, provide four presents. One for each twin for each day.

GeorgeLeRoyTirebiter
2009-Dec-01, 04:04 AM
When I was a kid, my family would have tourtière (a French-Canadian spiced pork pie) on Christmas Eve and usually a turkey on Christmas Day. Now, if we can get together for Christmas dinner, we have the tourtière.

danscope
2009-Dec-01, 04:33 AM
Christmas day, we usually make a turkey and a bunch of other stuff including a French Meat Pie. Christmas eve, I often make a
German Apple Pancake and ham sandwiches for people stopping in,
and eggnogg and hot spiced cider is on hand.
It's all good.
Best regards,
Dan

Nick Theodorakis
2009-Dec-01, 05:42 AM
I made a beef tenderloin once or twice for Christmas that was pretty yummy.

Nick

Celestial Mechanic
2009-Dec-01, 06:05 AM
I checked off all four non-other options because I'm sure that my late mother had prepared all of them at some time for the Christmas Day feast.

I have tried to continue the tradition of the Christmas Eve meal which is centered around ham and kielbasa. I also prepare a special kind of a cake called "Kranzkuchen" (wreath-cake). The recipe has been handed down from mother-in-law to daughter-in-law for several generations, and finally I've picked it up. Our recipe for Kranzkuchen is a bit different from the traditional ones I've found online in that we use raisins instead of almonds. Also, our cake is kidney-shaped rather than being formed into a wreath.

jokergirl
2009-Dec-01, 05:11 PM
I am rather partial to Swedish Christmas dinners.
The pescetarian part anyway. You can have all of the ham if you want, but I'll take the gravlax and the pickled herrings!

;)

Buttercup
2009-Dec-01, 06:36 PM
At our home it's either turkey (likely) or ham. This Christmas I'll likely make spiced baked ham with pineapple, candied yams, two vegetable sides, deviled eggs. Dessert as yet undecided.

Will make homemade eggnog too. :D

Around 2005 we had goose. Never again. :(

Hlafordlaes
2009-Dec-01, 07:36 PM
Way back when I first visited Barcelona (Franco was alive!), the mother of the family I stayed with made wonderful canelones, Catalan style (stuffed with minced chicken and paté, and served in bechamel sauce and melted butter). Yumpshish!

danscope
2009-Dec-01, 07:42 PM
@Jokergirl, I love the idea of pickeled herring for Christmas. It's a favorite of mine. Have a wonderful Chistmas.
Best regards,
Dan

LaurelHS
2009-Dec-03, 04:20 AM
When I was a kid, my family would have tourtière (a French-Canadian spiced pork pie) on Christmas Eve and usually a turkey on Christmas Day. Now, if we can get together for Christmas dinner, we have the tourtière.
I've eaten that. It's tasty. My paternal grandmother (who lived much of her life in Quebec) used to invite us to her house on Christmas Eve and tourtière was one of the dishes she'd serve.

danscope
2009-Dec-03, 06:12 AM
Hi, Here's my Mum's recipie for French meat Pie ( Tourtiere ) .
This will make a little more stuffing than you need. You can make a small pie
with the scraps. Make a little extra dough . So..........

Tourtiere my Mum and her Mum before her.

In a heavy saucepan ( I like to use a large stirfry wok ...no-stick )
cook 2 pounds of ground pork untill it turns grey, using a fork to separate it.
Drain most of the fat.
Boil up 4 large potatoes, cut small like for homefries untill fork tender.
In a separate pan, saute 2 large onions ...chopped .
Combine meat, potatoes, onions and season with salt, pepper ( 1 tsp salt)
at least that much pepper (fresh ground is better) , 1 tsp sugar,
1/2 tsp of cinnamon, 1/4 tsp of allspice, a dash of Bell's poultry seasoning,
and some ground cloves. 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp, depending on your taste. This is an ancient colonial recipie. Mix up the potatoes, onions and meat , mix the dry spices and sprinkle onto the meat-potatoes mixture evenly.
Now, the crust (pastry). Pre heat oven to 375 degrees .
7 oz of (half shortening,half butter ). Total of 7 oz. It makes a better crust.
2 1/4 cups flour
5 TBS. cold ginger ale . ( try it...you'lllike it )
a dash of salt .
I make this in the kitchenaid mixer with the paddle. This works. Once you have the pastry cut-in, add the COLD Ginger Ale. Divide into two balls,
partially flatten them and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for half an hour or so.
Get a big pie plate. 10 inch is good, 1 3/4 " deep . Roll out crust, line plate,
load well with meat mixture. Apply the top crust. Cut a couple slits in the top. Bake it at 375 for 30 to 40 minutes untill it has a nice golden brown color.
The inside is already well cooked, so you only need to bake the crust.
This item disappears first at the Christmas parties and whenever it appears
it is a favorite. Supposedly, this filling will make two small pies.
Suit yourself. Enjoy the recipie.

Bon Appetit

Dan

Tog
2009-Dec-03, 06:54 AM
A few years ago. my grandmother found something she thought would be really good for dinner. Salmon ravioli. She was wrong.

My birthday is a few days after Christmas. One year I got all the toys for Christmas and the batteries for my birthday. Now, I feel the best birthday gift anyone can get me is ignoring it.

closetgeek
2009-Dec-03, 05:11 PM
An event I suspect I will never live down:
I have the kids for Christmas Eve and they spend Christmas day with their father so I cook the big feast on the Eve. Last year I made a turkey but was disappointed at how shockingly little meat I could carve off the breast. That's about when I realized that I cooked the turkey upside down. I just might do it again because that was the juiciest turkey I had ever cooked :)!

Gillianren
2009-Dec-03, 05:57 PM
My birthday is a few days after Christmas. One year I got all the toys for Christmas and the batteries for my birthday. Now, I feel the best birthday gift anyone can get me is ignoring it.

Oh, I make a big fuss about my birthday because it got so dreadfully ignored in favour of Christmas when I was young. One Christmas, my grandmother apologized for giving me my birthday present on Christmas, but she hadn't seen me since November. One of my aunts said, "You had a birthday?"

Closetgeek, that's said to be one way to have a juicy turkey. I don't like turkey, but allow me to pass on two more tips--brine it and never baste. All basting does is let hot air out of the oven and require the turkey to cook longer.

Whirlpool
2009-Dec-03, 06:25 PM
Christmas here , we always have chicken and duck , then chicken , then duck . :lol:
I think I haven't spent christmas without those birds every year .

:doh:

cosmocrazy
2009-Dec-03, 08:25 PM
At our home it's either turkey (likely) or ham. This Christmas I'll likely make spiced baked ham with pineapple, candied yams, two vegetable sides, deviled eggs. Dessert as yet undecided.

Will make homemade eggnog too. :D

Around 2005 we had goose. Never again. :(

Sounds absolutely yummy! any space at your table for a cosmocrazy? :D

Buttercup
2009-Dec-03, 08:33 PM
Yes, cosmocrazy -- you are invited. :)

I'm also adding macaroni & cheese, and an additional vegetable for a total of 3 veggie sides. Still undecided about the dessert though. :confused: :(

cosmocrazy
2009-Dec-03, 09:14 PM

I'm also adding macaroni & cheese, and an additional vegetable for a total of 3 veggie sides. Still undecided about the dessert though. :confused: :(

Super! now all i need to do is raise the air fare and accommodation money! :lol:

Strawberry Pavlova topped with whipped ice cream then drenched with pour on cream! Yummy!

danscope
2009-Dec-03, 11:14 PM
Ah! a favorite of the 'dessert Czar' :)

mike alexander
2009-Dec-03, 11:36 PM
We have our traditional Hannukah Ham.

I'm spending Hanukkah, in Santa Monica,
Wearing sandals lighting candles by the sea...

Lord Jubjub
2009-Dec-04, 02:17 AM
I have the opportunity to buy frozen whole duck. Since I am spending Christmas at home by myself, I may take the opportunity to do some fowl experiments.

Gillianren
2009-Dec-04, 02:40 AM
Alas, Graham doesn't like duck. I'll have to see who's going to be in town and not working on Yule and see who wants duck without him.

Lord Jubjub
2009-Dec-04, 02:53 AM
We have our traditional Hannukah Ham.

I'm spending Hanukkah, in Santa Monica,
Wearing sandals lighting candles by the sea...

hmmm. . . traditional, you say . . .um . . . exactly . . .what tradition . . . is that?

kleindoofy
2009-Dec-04, 03:00 AM
We have our traditional Hannukah Ham. ...
I agree with Lord Jubjub.

I may be a bit rusty on my Jewish lore, but a Hannukah Ham?

Nick Theodorakis
2009-Dec-04, 04:49 AM
I believe Mike is making a joke.

Nick

mugaliens
2009-Dec-04, 07:01 AM
Turkey, ham, goose, duck, pheasant, cornish hen, quail, guinea fowl, and rabbit!

Mmm!!!

danscope
2009-Dec-04, 10:09 PM
"" Say, di did you see a turkey around here? I'm sure he came this way."

" I ain't no stool pidgeon,see! " (What a pal, what a pal what a pal!)

"A...gee. And I was gonna make a turkey dinner.....with green peas and mashed potatoes..."
"Mashed.....potatoes? ... and gravy?"

"Yup, and candied yams."

"Candied yams? The yams did it!!! "

"This way to the turkey. 50 feet this way. etc etc "

From a very old cartoon.

Lord Jubjub
2009-Dec-05, 11:52 PM

Google sugarplums. Definitely sound like an interesting treat.

Seeka
2009-Dec-06, 12:04 PM
Christmas day we have turkey and ham and that has never changed. On St Stevens day we have spiced beef, it's a Cork tradition, no other county in Ireland follow suit for some reason.

geonuc
2009-Dec-06, 12:54 PM
Alas, Graham doesn't like duck. I'll have to see who's going to be in town and not working on Yule and see who wants duck without him.
Duck would be a good thing to bring to the Yule feast.

mike alexander
2009-Dec-06, 08:13 PM
Who am I to argue with commerce?
http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/7497/hannukahham.jpg (http://img697.imageshack.us/i/hannukahham.jpg/)

Lord Jubjub
2009-Dec-22, 02:25 AM
Hey, this is the week leading into Christmas. Allow me to refresh this thread.

There are ducks to be had at the local HEB. Considering the package costs around $20 and I am a committed bachelor, I hesitate to buy it. But the challenge of cooking it also calls to me.

This is the first year in awhile that I have to work the holiday weekend instead of going to the my parent's so I may just might take advantage of the opportunity to try my hand at true roasting.

danscope
2009-Dec-22, 03:55 AM
Well, we just picked up the Christmas roast, about $37 worth of rib eye.
Boiled onions in cream sauce, baked or mashed potatoes with da kine gravy.
Carrots, turnips (these are sweet and delicious if you make them right...
but are something to peel) . Broccolli will be the green thing, I think.
And just to gild the lily, we make some traditional french meat pie and there will often be the promise of Dan's baked beans.
And after dinner , the multitudes will come for a tradition which has come to be known as " Pie Frenzy " . There will be 5 or six different sorts of pie,
as well as sundrie cookies, fruit bars and cracking nuts by the fireplace.
I sometimes show George C. Scott in "Chistmas Carol" By Dickens.
There is often a fierce game of Rummicube or Scrabble.
Our Mother will attend. She is 82 . A worthy scrabble player if ever there is one.
And best of all, our 6 month old grand daughter,Anya shall enjoy her first Christmas and New Year. This is all a very good thing.
May I wish each of you the best in the new year, and good viewing.

Dan

PetersCreek
2009-Dec-22, 04:40 AM
Over the years, I've made all of the offered choices plus prime rib, rack of lamb, venison and moose loin, pheasant, and feral pig. This year, it's ham but we have a rib roast dry aging in the garage fridge for New Year.

danscope
2009-Dec-23, 03:55 AM
Now that Moose Loin must be a fairly large cut of meat. How do you fix it?
Sounds good.

Dan

Buttercup
2009-Dec-24, 06:03 PM
Google sugarplums. Definitely sound like an interesting treat.

Will do, though have decided on peach pie and my mother's homemade fruitcake. :D I just returned from the grocery store with all the ingredients and will bake tonight! :)

danscope your dinner plans sound marvelous.

danscope
2009-Dec-24, 06:22 PM
Hi, as do yours. I'm doing a modified cheesecake cherry tart this day.
The Mrs Fields cookie book has some interesting information to spring board from. The tart shell is superb. Then I make up some of the cheesecake
filling (a half recipe) and pour that into the bottom and when that is baked,
dust it with cinnamon sugar and add the cherry pie filling. Knocked out the apple pie last night. Later, it's the chocolate moose pie. We decorate the top of the pie with chocolate in the shape of a moose. I wonder if Brett has one of these. :)
I love fudge but almost never make it. My sister will bring that tomorrow.
But I am threatening to make up some Toll House Cookies with walnuts!
Something for everybody.
And yea! We made 40 ° this afternoon! Joy. :)

Merry Christmas,
Dan

Buttercup
2009-Dec-24, 07:08 PM
Hi, as do yours. I'm doing a modified cheesecake cherry tart this day...

I am threatening to make up some Toll House Cookies with walnuts!

Aaaaaaugh! :D Both sound SO delicious. I love Toll House Cookies with walnuts (better than pecans).

A friend from Scotland was confused a few years ago; to him, a "toll house" is a prison. :lol: I said no -- these aren't prison cookies.

Gillianren
2009-Dec-24, 07:14 PM
Will do, though have decided on peach pie and my mother's homemade fruitcake. :D I just returned from the grocery store with all the ingredients and will bake tonight! :)

You're baking fruitcake the night before? Fruitcake is supposed to age.

Buttercup
2009-Dec-24, 07:29 PM
This is an alcohol-free fruitcake, Gillianren. :)

I'd have baked it 2 or 3 days ago to allow the spices to settle, but didn't plan to make one this year. Alas... ;)

Gillianren
2009-Dec-24, 10:49 PM
This is an alcohol-free fruitcake, Gillianren. :)

Yes. So is my mother's. You're still supposed to let it mature.

danscope
2009-Dec-24, 10:53 PM
Ah.... a "Young" fruitcake. It won't be bad.
Even a few days makes a difference.
It's the effort that counts.
Nouveau Gateu de fruit ...c'est bon.

Dan

crosscountry
2009-Dec-25, 12:08 AM
hickory smoked ham a few years back. glazed with honey mmmmmm