PDA

View Full Version : Stretchy Universe

bigattichouse
2009-Dec-01, 06:25 PM
Hi, I originally posited this question on halfbakery ( http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Stretchy_20Universe ) - but I'd really like to know what the BA opinion is. I'm not necessarily arguing for my idea, I just want to know what I'm assuming that is incorrect.

Please don't eviscerate me, I'm just curious of the general science opinion.

Basic Background: A large mass (A) sits somewhere in the universe, creating a gravity well. Another large mass (B) sits somewhere else, another well. From what I understand of Hubble's constant, the expanding universe would make an observer standing on A see B as redshifted. This is due to the universe expanding uniformly.

(What if) large mass A and large mass B were literally "falling into their well" - as if the "rubber sheet" they sit upon was stretching all the time. So the frame dragging effect happens in more than just a rotational sense.

(Would this Result in?) The outward appearance of the entire universe stretching uniformly to an observer standing on A?

(So - and I guess this is the experiment) Observer A sends a probe to B - if space we're "less stretched" out in the middle (having had no local gravitational impact), could the probe appear to slow down in the intervening space? Or would its speed appear constant?

Mike Johnson
www.bigattichouse.com

WayneFrancis
2009-Dec-02, 03:44 AM
If this was the effect of cosmic red-shifting then we would expect the amount of red-shift to be effected by the mass of the galaxy in question. This is not the observations we have.