PDA

View Full Version : Angels = Aliens

astromark
2009-Dec-03, 06:29 AM
It would seem this ridiculous idea is hard to get past the ever vigilant moderators... maybe its the word angel that sets it up for failyer... so its to Off Topic Babbling I turn to. To get some sensible discussion going on this... I did not start the original post over in Q & A
I did foolishly think that as its obviously not a mainstream scientific opinion so,. I started to discuss this in the A T M forum... I thought it was just getting started when it got shut. I will not and frankly do not even care for the 'why' that was... I was wrong to put it there. So. What is this all about ?
Firstly I will fess up to having read Erick VonDaniken's books and briefly accepted his idea as a real possibility. A tangible explanation for some of the strange moments of history.
Fortunately I did continue to study astronomy and very quickly the science drove the fiction away... The very premise of humanity being the descendants of aliens is ridiculous. Not a single fact has been found. Nope. not one.
Ancient religious doctrines are just a little vague. The stories are at best open to other interpretations... Visions and dreams ... BUT... I am still hungry to fill in all the gaps that are there. Jumping to conclusions is easy when you have so little actual factually information. The study of archeology and astronomy have driven this idea to its own destruction... BUT... I still have a unsupported nagging doubt. based on nothing more than a curious want. Understanding that no such case can be any other than foolish ignorrance... BUT ... could there be ANY argument as to this ?

jokergirl
2009-Dec-03, 07:04 AM
Sure, since we have nothing but confused accounts of that time, why not.
Possible, of course. Plausible or Provable, no.

;)

SuperKevin
2009-Dec-03, 07:55 AM
Multidimensional aliens, this is why they appear translucent.

sarongsong
2009-Dec-03, 08:34 AM
...when you have so little actual factually information...Such as?...and why is there no question mark in this thread's title?

Lianachan
2009-Dec-03, 08:59 AM
The study of archeology and astronomy have driven this idea to its own destruction... BUT... I still have a unsupported nagging doubt.

Archaeoastronomy is highly over-rated, and is remarkable for the number of self-proclaimed experts who have DVDs to sell.

Swift
2009-Dec-03, 02:43 PM
It would seem this ridiculous idea is hard to get past the ever vigilant moderators... maybe its the word angel that sets it up for failyer... so its to Off Topic Babbling I turn to.
In case it wasn't clear (I did explain it in the now closed ATM thread), the problem was not with "angels", the problem is that the rules of ATM require someone to advocate the ATM theory. Open-ended "let's discuss this ATM which I don't really believe in" threads do not work well in that forum.

Have fun in BABBling, but be aware that if anyone starts actually advocating this ATM idea, they will get their portion of the thread moved to ATM, where the ATM rules will apply.

cosmocrazy
2009-Dec-03, 07:54 PM
I think its plausible.
Although there is no solid evidence to support such an idea, its possible that alien visitations could account for the proclaimed "An angel came to me" statement that has been accounted numerous times throughout history. Its not my personal belief, but since we have never directly met an alien life form or an angel then maybe they could turn out to be one and the same.

HenrikOlsen
2009-Dec-03, 10:34 PM
I find it more plausible that the psychological/physiological mechanisms that make people believe they've seen and/or been abducted by aliens now are the same that previously made them believe they saw angels or were abducted by elves.

mugaliens
2009-Dec-04, 07:44 AM
I find it more plausible that the psychological/physiological mechanisms that make people believe they've seen and/or been abducted by aliens now are the same that previously made them believe they saw angels or were abducted by elves.

Yeah...

I think its plausible.
Although there is no solid evidence to support such an idea, its possible that alien visitations could account for the proclaimed "An angel came to me" statement that has been accounted numerous times throughout history. Its not my personal belief, but since we have never directly met an alien life form or an angel then maybe they could turn out to be one and the same.

I agree, cosmo. "Angel" may have been overused for anything "unknown" or "out of the ordinary," but if (and it's a big if) aliens had visited us, assuming they wouldn't have wanted to send us running in terror with their alien forms, they'd have disguised themselves much as ST Next Gen did on their many exploits. If so, they'd have merely seemed "different," perhaps so much so as to be called, "angels," particularly if they were benevolent.

As for language issues, we've established rudimentary communications with a number of species on our own planet, and that just in the last 50 years. Is it that much of a stretch that beings perhaps 5,000 years more advanced than us would be able to fool even the worst gang member in Queens that he was with them?

Yeah...

...be aware that if anyone starts actually advocating this ATM idea...

Which idea? That aliens may have visited us? Sagan himself, Mr. "Billions and Billions of stars," has said that life throughout the galaxy, much less the universe, is not only likely, it's all but a foregone conclusion."

...they will get their portion of the thread moved to ATM, where the ATM rules will apply.[/COLOR]

Heaven help us if Saganisms become ATM... :doh: