PDA

View Full Version : Martian Dust Devils

Drakheim
2004-Feb-18, 06:07 PM
Can be on avarage around 10KM high :o

The biggest one recored on earth was somehwere in the area of 4km high I beleive. ** shudders **

Andromeda321
2004-Feb-18, 06:09 PM
How do they measure how high a dust devil is on Mars? Trig based on the shadow of the dust devil and height of the sun?

Drakheim
2004-Feb-18, 06:18 PM
Yes, they caught a few on camera and measured their height from the shadows they cast.

You can see one here (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020903.html).

snowcelt
2004-Feb-18, 06:46 PM
If the dust-devils are so big would they be dangerous? I am just curious as to how dangerous could they be considering the low atmospheric pressure? Or, am I being silly here? If I am being silly, would one be thrown high into the atmosphere if caught in one?

Drakheim
2004-Feb-18, 06:50 PM
err.... I would " think" that they are not as bad as you would think. Given the air pressure being a factor in the power of a tornado though, this one would rank as not only the biggest that we know of, but also the most damaging **YIKES** (http://www.solarviews.com/raw/jup/redspot.jpg)

snowcelt
2004-Feb-18, 06:59 PM
Thanks Drakheim. I got to thinking about this question after watching a movie about people that went to Mars. The movie came out a few years ago. During one scene a huge wind comes up and I seem to remember someone being picked up and blown away to their death. I wondered at the time if this might have been a bit of Bad Science.

Postmortem
2004-Feb-18, 08:10 PM
of course you still have to worry about the amount of static electricity one of the things can generate, I wonder if they can spark off lightning?

I once saw a show on the discovery channel where a guy wanted to test how a space suit would hold up in a martian dust storm, so he set up a bunch of fans in the desert, and stood underneath them wearing an expiremental space suit, the static charge that built up fried the suits electronics after only a few minutes

Jack Higgins
2004-Feb-18, 08:18 PM
snowcelt

Yeah I remember that too- Mission To Mars was the movie. However, that particular dust devil was caused by the big evil alien forces within the face- so it doesn't have to be completely accurate... :)

the static charge that built up fried the suits electronics after only a few minutes
Well then clearly we won't be wearing spacesuits on Mars! Yup, I can't see any problems now... :D

Maksutov
2004-Feb-18, 08:18 PM
Thanks Drakheim. I got to thinking about this question after watching a movie about people that went to Mars. The movie came out a few years ago. During one scene a huge wind comes up and I seem to remember someone being picked up and blown away to their death. I wondered at the time if this might have been a bit of Bad Science.

That must have been the awful "Mission to Mars" film.

The thing to remember about Martian dust devils is F=MA. The A may be the same as a terran tornado, but the M is going to be a lot lower due to the fact that the atmosphere is 1% of what a terran tornado has to work with.

snowcelt
2004-Feb-18, 08:28 PM

That must have been the awful "Mission to Mars" film.

The thing to remember about Martian dust devils is F=MA. The A may be the same as a terran tornado, but the M is going to be a lot lower due to the fact that the atmosphere is 1% of what a terran tornado has to work with.

Exellent! Thanks. I knew there was an easy way to look at this.

Postmortem
2004-Feb-20, 04:34 AM
I wouldn't really say mission to mars was awuful, it is just extreamly unorignal and boring, it had about as much plot as "The Fast and the Furious" and what little plot it did have was all ripped off from other movies, still though it wasn't like the acting was bad or the script was bad, heck the story wasn't even bad, but it was basicly just an excuse to show off some CGI special effects, which were good, but also very boring

Maksutov
2004-Feb-20, 06:18 AM
I wouldn't really say mission to mars was awuful, it is just extreamly unorignal and boring, it had about as much plot as "The Fast and the Furious" and what little plot it did have was all ripped off from other movies, still though it wasn't like the acting was bad or the script was bad, heck the story wasn't even bad, but it was basicly just an excuse to show off some CGI special effects, which were good, but also very boring

Let's do some analysis.

extreamly unorignal and boring + about as much plot as "The Fast and the Furious" + what little plot it did have was all ripped off from other movies + just an excuse to show off some CGI special effects, which were good, but also very boring = awful.

Quote from the BA:

"...but the overwhelming majority of this flick was pretty awful."

For his entire review, including all the bad astronomy in this film, click HERE (http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/movies/m2mreview.html)

:-?