PDA

View Full Version : I am in awe of this YouTube video.

Mister Earl
2009-Dec-05, 11:39 AM
Some of you may have seen it already, and odds are I'm just treading on old ground here. But it's very new to me, and it's beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf07e5h8474&feature=player_embedded#

It's called "The Ultimate Rube Goldberg Machine". It's a CGI movie showing the creation of the universe and a handful of later events. Stunning work. Tried to mail the link to Dr. Plait, but mail.com seems to be on the fritz this morning :(

Beautiful video, though.

Mister Earl
2009-Dec-05, 12:02 PM
Hrm. Kind of makes me want to play Spore again. Hehe.

Anything like this set to music like that while showing events carried out over huge stretches of time will always get to me. Not sure why. I wish I could live far longer than my likely lifespan, just to witness first-hand the cumulative effects of eons of time. I guess I'm just weird like that. Seriously, if someone offered to freeze me for a few hundred years and made a good case for bringing me back successfully, I'd probably jump at the chance.

closetgeek
2009-Dec-05, 03:52 PM
I, for one, have never seen that before but really enjoyed that. I am sharing it with others. Thanks for the link. Is it me or is the music that goes along with it really beautiful?

BigDon
2009-Dec-05, 06:29 PM
Thank you Mr. Earl

Mister Earl
2009-Dec-05, 07:46 PM
I like the part where the Mars-sized object hits the Earth when the moon was created. I could be wrong, but wasn't the best-fitting model indicating that the Mars-sized object only struck the Earth obliquely? As in, no merger event?

#EDIT: Heya, BigDon! Did you ever finish that series of videos I PM'd ya?

SuperKevin
2009-Dec-05, 08:31 PM
Wow, have never seen this one. Amazing and very well done. Favorite part was the creation of the moon.

Moose
2009-Dec-05, 10:44 PM
Wow. Thanks, Mr. Earl. I'm bookmarking that. Hopefully it'll still be available if/when I teach a science class (post periodic-table) as a "put it all together" piece.

Mister Earl
2009-Dec-05, 11:20 PM
I think the music is what sets the whole piece off. It... I don't know... sews it all together?

Delvo
2009-Dec-06, 04:37 AM
Anything like this set to music like that while showing events carried out over huge stretches of time will always get to me.Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt-NvcuDVBc) is one using clips from a BBC show about stars and the solar system, with the audio replaced with the techno tune "Clubbed to Death". (Those techno-dance guys like to slip references to dance "clubs/houses" into their titles from time to time.) I find the first few minutes about the supernova(s) unimpressive, but after almost exactly 3 minutes (showing nebulas, then starting with re-collapse to form the solar system at 4 minutes) it becomes a pretty amazing symmetry between the visual and audible components, almost as if they'd been made for each other, but they weren't.

Your comment on the time compression reminded me of the one I'm linking here, because I love how the molten blob that is to eventually become Earth whirls around and around so fast somewhere between the 5 and 6 minute marks, getting pummeled by a swarm of meteors, which make it grow larger, which makes it pull in even more... while the speed at which it's all happening tells you you're watching the ultimate cosmic fast-forward... but the style & feeling to it are different from the one in this thread's OP.

The one that this thread was started about makes me wonder where the creator audio/video parts from. What is that music? Are the images from another science show like the one I just linked? Did (s)he do the visual stuff with some of those 3-D modelling & scene-rendering programs on his/her own? I think I'd actually like to get the music that's used in the first half of it, in its original form without having the second piece intrude on it and walk all over it like it does in this video.

I'm bookmarking that. Hopefully it'll still be available if/when I teach a science class (post periodic-table) as a "put it all together" piece.YouTube videos can be saved on your own computer, after which you can play them back indefinitely even after they're taken off of YouTube. You just need a simple software extension for your browser to find the video file while your browser is at the streaming page and download it, and maybe a player for the file type once it's downloaded (which is ".flv"). (Some streaming-video downloaders can convert the FLV to a more standard format like AVI or MOV or MPG while downloading, too.) Firefox and Internet Explorer both offer free software for this (so I presume other browsers' makers also add something similar), and there are also alternatives at download.com for free.

mugaliens
2009-Dec-06, 07:53 AM
Awesome! Thanks for sharing that!

novaderrik
2009-Dec-06, 09:39 AM
i liked it- but if i didn't know what i was watching, i could take it the wrong way.. that one small fish turns into a bigger fish, then into a lizard that crawls up out of the water. then later another lizard turns into a dinosaur.. then towards the end, that primate in the tree turns into something that almost looks human. one could easily get the wrong ideas about how evolution works if they take the video too literally.

Seeka
2009-Dec-06, 11:47 AM
That was pretty amazing. Thanks Mister Earl.

Moose
2009-Dec-06, 01:08 PM
YouTube videos can be saved on your own computer, after which you can play them back indefinitely even after they're taken off of YouTube. You just need a simple software extension for your browser to find the video file while your browser is at the streaming page and download it, and maybe a player for the file type once it's downloaded (which is ".flv").

Yeah, I'm familiar with the technique. Plausible deniability. :shhh:

closetgeek
2009-Dec-07, 12:44 AM
I think the music is what sets the whole piece off. It... I don't know... sews it all together?

I just bought the whole album off Amazon. I listened to the samples and really enjoyed it. It is M83 - Before The Dawn Heals Us, if you are interested.

Fiery Phoenix
2009-Dec-07, 09:52 PM
Amazing video!

I just sent it to Dr. Plait. He's one of my friends on YouTube.

Mister Earl
2009-Dec-08, 04:38 PM
I did get an email out to Dr. Plait, but haven't gotten a response. I suspect he's just got a lot going on (New show? The Skepticologists, maybe?). I didn't know he was on Youtube. Can you send me his user ID so I can send him stuff I root up like this in the future?

Fiery Phoenix
2009-Dec-09, 01:00 PM
Sure. Here is the link to his channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBadAstronomer

And I can tell you he visits YouTube almost daily. Also, here is my channel -- just felt compelled to post it:

http://www.youtube.com/user/FieryPhoenix7