PDA

View Full Version : Oh, Boo Had A Bit Of A "Day" Yesterday

BigDon
2009-Dec-09, 02:36 AM
She had a woman go into hard labor in the backseat of her car yesterday. And even though the baby wasn't born in the car, it's still a bit of a messy process.

And when she got home her muffler fell off in the drive.

LaurelHS
2009-Dec-09, 02:41 AM
That is a bad day. I hope the mom and baby were all right.

BigDon
2009-Dec-09, 02:47 AM
Only end of second trimester. I'm guessing no.

Middenrat
2009-Dec-09, 02:53 AM
Watch out for the Rule of Threes. (Sorry to invoke if you were blissfully unaware.)

closetgeek
2009-Dec-09, 03:11 AM
Wow, that is a day she can tell the heck out of, though. Keep us updated on mom and baby. Was she at least past 5 months?

BigDon
2009-Dec-09, 07:10 AM
Closet, Boo said her classmate was at the end of six months. Still not great.

As of ten minutes ago, Boo still hasn't heard back from the mom or her boyfriend.

The Backroad Astronomer
2009-Dec-09, 07:53 AM
I hope everything turns out alright.

Big Bad Boo
2009-Dec-09, 10:03 AM
A brief update as of 1:44am PST:

Her boyfriend called. They have to do a C-section on her due to some complications. The mother is fine physically fine, but the baby isn't expected to make it- something's wrong with his lungs. It's a boy, and his name is Christian.

(She didn't go into labor in my backseat. She's a buddy of mine in my cardio dance class and she went into labor about 20 minutes into it. They couldn't afford an ambulance ride, and out of 6 people with a car I was the only one who was willing to drive her.)

Please pray/hope for the best for my friends' baby. I'll update when I get any more info.

closetgeek
2009-Dec-09, 01:53 PM
Boo, that kind of experience can really stick with you. Christian and his mother are in my thoughts, and so are you. Thanks for the update.

Swift
2009-Dec-09, 02:04 PM
They couldn't afford an ambulance ride, and out of 6 people with a car I was the only one who was willing to drive her.

Please pray/hope for the best for my friends' baby. I'll update when I get any more info.
You're a very good person Boo and I hope your giving spirit compensates for your bad day. I wish the best to your friend and her baby.

BigDon
2009-Dec-09, 03:05 PM
You're a very good person Boo and I hope your giving spirit compensates for your bad day. I wish the best to your friend and her baby.

That's my little Boo-child. :)

Swift
2009-Dec-09, 03:40 PM
That's my little Boo-child. :)
Apple... tree....

Whirlpool
2009-Dec-09, 05:14 PM
A brief update as of 1:44am PST:

Her boyfriend called. They have to do a C-section on her due to some complications. The mother is fine physically fine, but the baby isn't expected to make it- something's wrong with his lungs. It's a boy, and his name is Christian.

(She didn't go into labor in my backseat. She's a buddy of mine in my cardio dance class and she went into labor about 20 minutes into it. They couldn't afford an ambulance ride, and out of 6 people with a car I was the only one who was willing to drive her.)

If the baby is only past 6 months , lungs are still not fully developed . The baby might need a respirator . I hope your friend's baby boy will make it.
Bless your heart Boo for helping your friend. :)

BigDon
2009-Dec-09, 05:55 PM
Just so you know, a basic ambulance ride is $4000. Interventions kick this up to 6 grand easily.

How does this rate with the rest of the world?

Australia? Britain?

Nicolas
2009-Dec-09, 06:08 PM
Urgent (911 equivalent call) ambulance ride in Belgium:

from 1 to 10 km --> 52.55 euro
from the 11th km --> 5,21 euro/km
from the 21st km --> 3,97 euro/km
A 15 km ride hence costs 78,60 euro (52,55 euro + 5x5,21 euro).

And that 100-fold price difference is why Obama is pushing social security overthere. I won't go anymore into the politics of the matter; the factor 100 should speak for itself and the rest is not for this board.

Swift
2009-Dec-09, 06:12 PM
I won't go anymore into the politics of the matter; the factor 100 should speak for itself and the rest is not for this board.
Yes, let's not go there.

BigDon
2009-Dec-09, 06:13 PM
Thank you Nick, and please, no politics anybody.

rommel543
2009-Dec-09, 06:27 PM
In Winnipeg:
Basic rate of 595.00 per call or 745.00 if life support is required
However the provincial medical pays for that if a doctor states that it was required.

HenrikOlsen
2009-Dec-09, 06:36 PM
Denmark: $0.20 for the phone call plus a lifetime of high taxes. We find it an acceptable trade-off.

captain swoop
2009-Dec-09, 06:57 PM
Same in the UK althoug hthey discourage calling an AMbulance for someone in Labour, they expect you to get to the hospital in time.

On Top Gear this week they featured in their 'News', a woman who gave birth in the back of a car. They named the baby after the car a 'Kia' and the company gave them one.

As Hammond said, when you know the baby is on the way hire a Lamborghini and drive to the hospital real slow.

Swift
2009-Dec-09, 07:03 PM
As Hammond said, when you know the baby is on the way hire a Lamborghini and drive to the hospital real slow.
In my Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) days, we were trained, when dealing with a woman in labor, that one of the first questions to ask is "Is this your first child?". If the answer was yes, odds are, you have plenty of time to get to the hospital. If the answer was no, this is number seven, you need to be ready for birth NOW!

Unfortunately, I never got to actual help with one. The closest was a patient with an ectopic pregnancy; not a good thing.

rommel543
2009-Dec-09, 07:37 PM
A former friend had three kids, the first one he labor pains consisted of "it feels like my stomach has muscle twitches". If her water didn't break she wouldn't have know that she was in labor, as it was her first son was born within 15 min of her water breaking and a total of 5 pushes. Her second pregnancy, she was visiting her doctor for a check-up and her water broke while in the waiting room. Her son was born in the doctors office less than 5 minutes later with only the front desk nurse present. The last time I heard she was pregnant again and hospitalized for the last trimester because the births happened so quickly and without warning.

Gillianren
2009-Dec-09, 07:44 PM
Same in the UK althoug hthey discourage calling an AMbulance for someone in Labour, they expect you to get to the hospital in time.

In this case, I would imagine it to be a slightly different situation. A birth this early is very dangerous for child and mother--and, as if it needed to be added, my best wishes here for both.

Bean Counter
2009-Dec-09, 08:41 PM
And when she got home her muffler fell off in the drive.

Alas, no good deed goes unpunished.

KaiYeves
2009-Dec-09, 10:48 PM
I'm sorry you had a bad day, Boo.

Doodler
2009-Dec-09, 10:57 PM
Best wishes to mom and baby.

As for early survival, 24 weeks is the magic milestone. Been here, seen this. My niece had a huge birth defect identified in utero, and she was induced at 24 weeks plus several hours so the neonatal surgeons could correct it as soon as they could once she crossed the threshold of survival. Credit to the docs, she recovered fully and came home in three months.

Graybeard6
2009-Dec-10, 05:18 AM
Statement from Brevard County, Florida 4/21/09
EMS Transport $541.00
Mileage charge 11 mi @ $9.18 $100.98
Oxygen charge $25.00
Total $666.98

I thought the mileage rate was a little high, and $25 to use my own oxygen was silly, but it's a lot better than California.

Spoons
2009-Dec-10, 06:05 AM
In Australia, as in the U.S., we have varying arrangements depending on the state.

The link here (http://mps.tas.greens.org.au/publications/other/2007Jun21-Ambulance_Charges_in_Australia-P_Putt.pdf)shows some details as at 2007. I doubt it's changed a whole lot. Tax return options strongly encourage health cover which includes hospital cover, and this covers ambulance rides.

And it's a strong best wishes to mother and baby, and bless your kind heart for helping out Boo. Very sad that others rejected the opportunity to help, but great that you took it up.

All the best!

sarongsong
2009-Dec-10, 06:29 AM
Just so you know, a basic ambulance ride is $4000. Interventions kick this up to 6 grand easily...Huh?
August 10, 2009
SAN LUIS OBISPO - San Luis Ambulance service charges...have soared...to one of the highest rates in the state...Currently, the company charges a base rate of $1,877. In addition to the minimum charge, riders are also billed for travel at $19 per mile, oxygen, supplies, and equipment...In Merced...only 20 percent of riders pay their fair share...“If everyone paid their fair share of costs, I would be happy to charge $675 per trip” Riggs added. “As it is, we charge $1,400.”...
calcoastnews.com (http://calcoastnews.com/2009/08/slo-ambulance-charges-second-highest-in-state/)

Big Bad Boo
2009-Dec-10, 06:59 AM
Huh?

Dad likes to hyperbolate sometimes.They still could not afford it.

Edit- Forgot to say some things:

Karma does come around- my grandpa, because of the "blue death trap" I'm driving 9and he's wonderful) decided he's going to buy me a car. 1st in line is a 1999 New Beetle. Red. Though he doesn't know about the situation outside of a friend of mine went into labor early. I don't want to tell him I missed class, excused or not. :silenced:

And thanks for the support guys. And I'm not that good of a person- I only volunteered when no one else did.

mugaliens
2009-Dec-10, 07:05 AM
Huh?

August 10, 2009
SAN LUIS OBISPO - San Luis Ambulance service charges...have soared...to one of the highest rates in the state...Currently, the company charges a base rate of $1,877. In addition to the minimum charge, riders are also billed for travel at $19 per mile, oxygen, supplies, and equipment...
calcoastnews.com

That doesn't jibe with the 11 min ambulence ride Mom had last Feb for a partial blockage, and that was simply from one hospital where she was doing physical therapy for her knee to another one 20 min away. No intervention required at all, other than simple O2. She simply said, "she was out of breath" doing exercises she'd done twice a week for four weeks, and as she was getting worse, the docs said, "ok..."

$3,790

At the time, cost analysis revealed it shouldn't have cost but a quarter of that.

rommel543
2009-Dec-10, 03:10 PM
Dad likes to hyperbolate sometimes.They still could not afford it.

Edit- Forgot to say some things:

Karma does come around- my grandpa, because of the "blue death trap" I'm driving 9and he's wonderful) decided he's going to buy me a car. 1st in line is a 1999 New Beetle. Red. Though he doesn't know about the situation outside of a friend of mine went into labor early. I don't want to tell him I missed class, excused or not. :silenced:

And thanks for the support guys. And I'm not that good of a person- I only volunteered when no one else did.

In times of distress is when people's true nature come to the fore-front. Don't sell yourself short. I know people that would have called her a cab and expected her to pay for it herself.

Tobin Dax
2009-Dec-10, 03:25 PM
Boo, sometimes there are valid reasons to miss a class. This is definitely one of them.

Best wishes to your friend and her baby.

Swift
2009-Dec-10, 03:45 PM
And I'm not that good of a person- I only volunteered when no one else did.
Which is pretty much what every good person / hero says, just did what had to be done.

The Backroad Astronomer
2009-Dec-10, 04:40 PM
While you ar hero to us.

Moose
2009-Dec-10, 04:41 PM
Agreed. You did the right thing, Boo.

Gillianren
2009-Dec-10, 06:13 PM
My definition of "hero" is a bit narrower than that, but at bare minimum, take mensch.

BigDon
2009-Dec-10, 06:15 PM
(Psssst Boo. Mensch works, take it.)

ngc3314
2009-Dec-10, 06:21 PM
Just so you know, a basic ambulance ride is $4000. Interventions kick this up to 6 grand easily.

Here in Alabama, from recent experience with Younger Son and two fractured vertebrae, a 30-km ambulance ride showed up on the insurance statement as a $975 bill. (He's expected to make a full recovery, but will look like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle and have very good posture for another 6 weeks or so. "Touch" football without pads and helmet.)

closetgeek
2009-Dec-10, 08:00 PM
Here in Alabama, from recent experience with Younger Son and two fractured vertebrae, a 30-km ambulance ride showed up on the insurance statement as a $975 bill. (He's expected to make a full recovery, but will look like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle and have very good posture for another 6 weeks or so. "Touch" football without pads and helmet.)

Good gravy, NGC, if that is touch football I would hate to see the condition that full contact can leave one in. Best wishes for your son.

Boo, what's the word; any change?

Fazor
2009-Dec-10, 08:04 PM
Good gravy, NGC, if that is touch football I would hate to see the condition that full contact can leave one in. Best wishes for your son.

Eh, if most boys are like we were growing up, there's very little difference between 'touch' football and full contact.

And ditto on the wishes for a speedy recovery for your son, ngc.

captain swoop
2009-Dec-10, 08:21 PM
Eh, if most boys are like we were growing up, there's very little difference between 'touch' football and full contact.

And ditto on the wishes for a speedy recovery for your son, ngc.

My son is in the under 10s Rugby team at the local club. Up until 9 they olny play 'tag' rugby. There are often some nast accidents as contaxct isn't expected whereas in the 'proper' game it is and the players are expecting it and are prepared and trained for it.

rommel543
2009-Dec-10, 08:47 PM
FYI, Mensch: a decent responsible person with admirable characteristics.

I've been to some of the 'touch' football games. The so called 'touch' I saw was closer to illegal contact in regular football games.

sarongsong
2009-Dec-10, 10:08 PM
While you ar hero to us....AND to the young couple involved! :clap:

chrissy
2009-Dec-10, 10:26 PM

Australia? Britain?

Ambulance is free and the medical care is too. Well I say free our taxes pay for it all, but no hidden charges.

I hope everything goes well for your friend and the baby, Boo. :)

ngc3314
2009-Dec-11, 04:20 AM

You're in Florida and wouldn't expect this? I hear it's almost the only place where the fans give Alabama a run for its money[1]. He's been playing for his school for 4 years now with nothing worse than a sprain from actual games and team practice - I guess the pads and helmet do their jobs. As far as we can reconstruct, this came from a freak landing when a smaller player grabbed him from behind and pulled him over backwards.

[1] Bad enough that classes at the University are cancelled for the first three days of the spring term for those who might want to shell out a few thousand dollars to go to the championship game in Pasadena, but now the K-12 city schools are discussing following suit.

Gillianren
2009-Dec-11, 04:34 AM
[1] Bad enough that classes at the University are cancelled for the first three days of the spring term for those who might want to shell out a few thousand dollars to go to the championship game in Pasadena, but now the K-12 city schools are discussing following suit.

Oh, hurrah--my mother's favourite time of year is upon us. Even when I lived down there, I didn't know what teams actually made it to the Rose Bowl until their bands went by during the parade. My mother doesn't leave the house on New Year's Day if she can avoid it.

jokergirl
2009-Dec-12, 12:19 PM
FYI, Mensch: a decent responsible person with admirable characteristics.

I've been to some of the 'touch' football games. The so called 'touch' I saw was closer to illegal contact in regular football games.

I don't know, I've met quite some humans I wouldn't also consider persons, given that some dogs/cats I met had a better personality than them.

</misanthropy>

Boo, on the other hand, definitely earns the title of person. (OK, so she had that before this incident as well, at least in my opinion.)

;)

Messier Tidy Upper
2009-Dec-12, 02:05 PM

Australia? Britain?

In Australia we (I) have ambulance insurance cover which I pay yearly (I think.) Otherwise, yes, it could get very expensive -but we have medicare and our public health system here is good so not bad. The ambo would take you but you may be paying avery big billlater without teh (voluntary & reasonably priced) cover. Thankfully, I've never needed to use it and don't know all that much about this area.

My best wishes & sympathy for mother & child.

Well done Boo, that would've been .. intense .. I can only imagine. Yikes! :eek:

HenrikOlsen
2009-Dec-12, 09:13 PM
I don't know, I've met quite some humans I wouldn't also consider persons, given that some dogs/cats I met had a better personality than them.
It's not the German Mensch, but the Yiddish Mensch.

Same origin, but the Yiddish has the added connotation of acting like a person is ideally supposed to.

Gillianren
2009-Dec-13, 12:22 AM
And an "s."

jokergirl
2009-Dec-13, 12:15 PM
Both are supposed to be spelled with an s.

;)

HenrikOlsen
2009-Dec-13, 03:03 PM
Fixed

Donnie B.
2009-Dec-13, 03:04 PM
Smench?

Spoons
2009-Dec-13, 05:23 PM
Don't mind if I do, Donnie.

Gillianren
2009-Dec-13, 08:24 PM
Both are supposed to be spelled with an s.

I wouldn't know. I took Spanish and Gaelic classes, but never German. While I do know astonishing amounts of both German and Yiddish, it's all back to etymology for me.

slang
2009-Dec-13, 09:44 PM
1st in line is a 1999 New Beetle.

I always enjoyed driving those, when one was assigned to me through my (then) employer's car pool. Don't have much else to add except well done, I hope I have you near when I'm in need, and not one of the others with a car.

BigDon
2009-Dec-14, 06:51 AM
Little Christian passed away this morning.

The Backroad Astronomer
2009-Dec-14, 07:02 AM
sorry to hear it.

Spoons
2009-Dec-14, 07:40 AM
Seconded. It's a terrible shame.

My thoughts are with Boo and little Christian's family.

Gillianren
2009-Dec-14, 08:15 AM
My heart goes out to that poor mother.

The Backroad Astronomer
2009-Dec-14, 08:51 AM
Unfortunely ths reminds of something that happened 20 years ago, this month.
One of my aunts had an early birth and the baby had a lot of birth defects. The baby died about a month later. A couple of weeks later my grandmother passed away a few days before Valetines day.

Moose
2009-Dec-14, 09:05 AM
:(

Jens
2009-Dec-14, 09:41 AM
Australia? Britain?

In Japan, it's like in Denmark.
1 km = zero yen
2 km = zero yen
etc.

Basically, the price of the phone call. Ambulances are run by the fire department, so they transport you free, just like the firetrucks come to put out fires for free.

But ironically, some people call a taxi in an emergency because they're ashamed of waking up the neighbors with the siren sounds. :confused: