PDA

View Full Version : So What's On Your Christmas Wish List?

cosmocrazy
2009-Dec-09, 05:11 PM
So What's On Your Christmas Wish List This Year?

1, steam cooker
2, sat nav
3, I-pod
4, Wii
5, some nice clothes

:lol:

Fazor
2009-Dec-09, 05:16 PM
I'd like to get an XBox 360 for myself, but I'm kinda not happy that you have to pay an additional $100 for the wireless adapter unless you want to run a network cable through your home. Bah on them! (I already have holes in the floor for the cable lines for the tv and router, so wouldn't be *that* much of a hassle, it's just the fact that Microsoft, a computer company, can't bother to include an affordable wireless network component to their game system).

As for a list of things I'd actually like to get from others? I'm a scrooge. I don't ever want things from other people. But a red flashlight (for star viewing) would be okay.

iniaes
2009-Dec-09, 05:38 PM
Bone season 1 and 2
Lie to Me
EQ6 goto telescope mount and tripod
Astrograph telecope
Astrophotography equipment.

Pie >,>

Swift
2009-Dec-09, 06:16 PM
Peace on Earth, good will towards man.

And no, I don't think I'll get it. :neutral:

rommel543
2009-Dec-09, 06:18 PM
New laptop with Intel i7 processor.
Attachments for my Dremel
An unlimited Starbucks coffee card

That being said I will more than likely get some clothes and a couple of gift cards.

Buttercup
2009-Dec-09, 06:28 PM
Bah humbug!

Seriously...I'm not in the holiday spirit. Don't even have the tree out nor decorated; will do that on the 13th (the latest ever).

I've not even bought my husband anything yet. :confused:

As for me? Got everything I want/need (and no, we're not wealthy). Frankly I could just go for that very festive dinner I'm planning and be done with it. :)

The Backroad Astronomer
2009-Dec-09, 06:31 PM
for me- to figure out what to do next
for my mother-for her to get the money fix up the old place or get a new house built here
for my nieces- an easy bake oven (getting them a dvd and some coloring books each)
for my sister- probably a gift card

closetgeek
2009-Dec-09, 06:32 PM
A social life :)

cosmocrazy
2009-Dec-09, 06:33 PM
Peace on Earth, good will towards man.

And no, I don't think I'll get it. :neutral:

I think most would, but this year will be no different than last, I would expect! :(

cosmocrazy
2009-Dec-09, 06:35 PM
Bah humbug!

Seriously...I'm not in the holiday spirit. Don't even have the tree out nor decorated; will do that on the 13th (the latest ever).

I've not even bought my husband anything yet. :confused:

As for me? Got everything I want/need (and no, we're not wealthy). Frankly I could just go for that very festive dinner I'm planning and be done with it. :)

Hey BC you seem to be in a bit of a downer just lately..? But I must admit I just can't seem to get into the festive spirit, hence why I decided to start this thread. :)

cosmocrazy
2009-Dec-09, 06:36 PM
A social life :)

I know that feeling! :lol:

closetgeek
2009-Dec-09, 06:40 PM
Hey BC you seem to be in a bit of a downer just lately..? But I must admit I just can't seem to get into the festive spirit, hence why I decided to start this thread. :)

I think the one thing keeping the the humbug on my shoulder is the fact that it's 83 degrees out, right now. Grant it, it doesn't really get that cold here but come on, already. It's December, I just want to put away the summer clothes and blow off shaving for a day!

Buttercup
2009-Dec-09, 06:44 PM

Oh, I'm sorry. :) Didn't mean to further dampen things.

Will make it up with this happy Christmas song:

Jingle, jingle, jingle! You will hear my sleigh bells ring! I am old Kris Kringle, I'm the King of Jing-a-Ling! Jingle jangle reindeer, through the frosty air they go; they are not just reindeer, they're the fastest deer I know -- ohHO! You must believe that on Christmas Eve I won't pass you by; I'll dash away in my magic sleigh, riding through the sky!!... :D

I hope I made amends. :)

The Backroad Astronomer
2009-Dec-09, 06:46 PM
This year will be the first year that we get our christmas tree off our own property. I still have to go down and get it but I have chosen, but it will have wait another day because it is snowing right now.

cosmocrazy
2009-Dec-09, 06:47 PM
I think the one thing keeping the the humbug on my shoulder is the fact that it's 83 degrees out, right now. Grant it, it doesn't really get that cold here but come on, already. It's December, I just want to put away the summer clothes and blow off shaving for a day!

Its quite cold & miserable here in the U.K.

I was only talking about exactly this today with a friend, about how it just doesn't seem like Christmas at all.

cosmocrazy
2009-Dec-09, 06:48 PM

Jingle, jingle, jingle! You will hear my sleigh bells ring! I am old Kris Kringle, I'm the King of Jing-a-Ling! Jingle jangle reindeer, through the frosty air they go; they are not just reindeer, they're the fastest deer I know -- ohHO! You must believe that on Christmas Eve I won't pass you by; I'll dash away in my magic sleigh, riding through the sky!!... :D

Much better I'm getting more festive as the thread progresses! :D

Gillianren
2009-Dec-09, 06:49 PM

My mother never decorates hers until Christmas Eve, following original tradition on the subject. On the other hand, I won't be decorating at all this year. It's kind of entertaining, really--in my stairwell, there are four apartments. Both my upstairs neighbours and the neighbour right next to us have wreaths on their doors. We do not. Also, our doormat says "Go away" on it.

I already got the thing I was most hoping for as a birthday present. Graham gave me the new Good Eats cookbook. My mother will be giving me the new Sue Grafton, U is for Undertow, because she always gives me the new Sue Grafton. She's also making family histories. My dad's sister has done two of them for us, one just about my dad, and now, Mom's doing one about her side of the family. (Actually, she's making five copies. One each for me, my sisters, and my daughter, and one for two of my cousins to share, however they're going to manage that one!) Reproductions of old family photos and everything.

Also, to my delight, she's acknowledging Graham for the first Christmas ever. She's making him a quilt. She didn't say so, but based on the questions she's asked me, she's making him a quilt.

As for what I am giving people, Graham is, of course, getting the new Terry Pratchett in audio. My sister (the older one, the one I speak to) is getting a book on container gardening off her wishlist. One of my best friends is getting hand-spun and hand-dyed yarn and a copy of Freaks. Her husband is getting the absolute worst movie I could find for under $10, as is tradition, and I think I've won again this year. And for another friend's three roommates, I bought six cheap movies and am going to write clues as to what movies they are on the wrappings. I will then let them fight it out before they open them.

cosmocrazy
2009-Dec-09, 06:54 PM
This year will be the first year that we get our christmas tree off our own property. I still have to go down and get it but I have chosen, but it will have wait another day because it is snowing right now.

I've spent a fortune on trees already and I ain't even got one for myself! :lol: One for my little boy (he lives with my ex), one for my parents, one for my sister and one for my friend's handicapped daughter! They always ask if I can pick the trees up since I have a large van so its easy for me to transport them. But for me thats what Christmas is all about giving and sharing! I love the feeling!

My opening wish list is a bit of a personal joke really cause its what people have asked me to buy them! :lol:

Kaptain K
2009-Dec-09, 06:54 PM
Legs that work! Sitting in a wheelchair is getting old. :(

The Backroad Astronomer
2009-Dec-09, 07:41 PM
Who is develop?

Swift
2009-Dec-09, 07:45 PM
It is supposed to get into the teens (Fahrenheit) tonight and snow. Come by for visit, we'll get you feeling all Christmasy.

The Backroad Astronomer
2009-Dec-09, 07:51 PM
Maybe this will help.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31720387@N07/4171888313/

Fazor
2009-Dec-09, 08:05 PM
It is supposed to get into the teens (Fahrenheit) tonight and snow. Come by for visit, we'll get you feeling all Christmasy.

It was 52 (f) when I left for work this morning. It's 39 now, and supposed to be low teens by 9:00 tomorrow morning. Wind's been blowing all day too.

But no snow in the forecast for us down south of you Swift. You can keep it all anyway; I don't want it.

danscope
2009-Dec-09, 08:12 PM
Got it. Happy Grandchild,6 months old.
One dozen Pro V 1 golf balls.
Swiss Army knife (there was a deal on amazon)
And after many...many years, our friends are joining us at Epcot this spring.
Maybe someday I can get a 10"Dobson. :)

Good friends, good health, good food and time to enjoy them.
May each of you find many things to be greatfull for and find a way to make someone else happy.
Best regards,
Dan

kleindoofy
2009-Dec-09, 08:58 PM
Ton Koopman's complete recordings of the Bach cantatas with the Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra and various soloists.

I've heard a large portion of them and the recordings are stupendous.

It's only a mere 22 volume set of CD-boxes with a combined total of 66 CDs, all for about EUR 1500, nothing big.

Well, maybe next year. :sad:

Buttercup
2009-Dec-09, 09:05 PM
A scarlet-beaded rosary with faux ivory hearts and two "religious" symbols (connector & pendant). A lady hand-makes them via mail order; a bit expensive but she does beautiful work, totally worth it. I've already got a black/purple rosary. Want another one! :)

No, I'm not "religious" but I do have some beliefs. And that's enough said.

rommel543
2009-Dec-09, 09:06 PM
It was 52 (f) when I left for work this morning. It's 39 now, and supposed to be low teens by 9:00 tomorrow morning. Wind's been blowing all day too.

But no snow in the forecast for us down south of you Swift. You can keep it all anyway; I don't want it.

It was -30c (-22 f) when I got up this morning. It's currently -20c (-4 f). We haven't gotten very much snow at all. In fact you can still mostly see the grass in my front yard, it's just gotten really cold.

Current Temperature of Winnipeg, Mb (http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/mb-38_metric_e.html)

ShadowSot
2009-Dec-09, 09:11 PM
Gift card for a book store, preferably Books a Million, starting to loose interest in Barnes.

Er...

S'bout it.

rommel543
2009-Dec-09, 09:15 PM
Pumpkin Pie... I just had a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks and now craving pumpkin pie with whip cream.

danscope
2009-Dec-09, 09:28 PM
" ....You don't need a twinkie. You could be having a pumpkin spice pie
with whipped cream. You can go about your business. Move along."

...long,long ago in a land far, far away....

rommel543
2009-Dec-09, 09:31 PM
"Yes I don't need a twinkie. I want pumpkin pie instead.

You can go about your business. Move along. Move along."

:p

mike alexander
2009-Dec-09, 09:43 PM
Christmas time is here, by golly,
Disapproval would be folly,
Deck the halls with hunks of holly,
Fill the cup and don't say "when."
Kill the turkeys, ducks and chickens,
Mix the punch, drag out the Dickens,
Even though the prospect sickens,
Brother, here we go again...

Swift
2009-Dec-09, 09:45 PM
Hark the Herald Tribune sings,
Advertising wondrous things.

Fazor
2009-Dec-09, 09:55 PM
Hark the Herald Tribune sings,
Advertising wondrous things.

Inflated worth and shoppers wild,
Joy to all those mercantile?

...i dunno. I tried.

Swift
2009-Dec-09, 10:02 PM
Neither Mike nor I was original; quoted from the same Tom Lehrer song. For your own effort, I'd say pretty good.

Moose
2009-Dec-09, 10:04 PM
An island. (Seriously.)

/ I shall call it Little Cape Breton.

The Backroad Astronomer
2009-Dec-09, 10:06 PM
But will it have tar ponds like its big brother?

Moose
2009-Dec-09, 10:11 PM
If I get too busy to keep the surface reasonably clean, it's entirely plausible.

The Backroad Astronomer
2009-Dec-09, 10:18 PM
Now to populate the island with people from the Cape you need beer and good celtic music.

Moose
2009-Dec-09, 10:19 PM
What better for a kitchen party than a brand new Cape Breton island?

The Backroad Astronomer
2009-Dec-09, 10:22 PM
True.
added. Forgot, Stan Rogers unfortunely that will not happen.

danscope
2009-Dec-09, 10:34 PM
And I shall raise a glass to the Great Stan Rogers. Such wonderfull songs and
such a good voice. We miss him.
"..and like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again."

Best regards,
Dan

The Backroad Astronomer
2009-Dec-09, 10:40 PM
I rise a glass to him as well.

The Backroad Astronomer
2009-Dec-09, 10:49 PM
As a kid I was not really into maritime music but it has grown on me since then.

LaurelHS
2009-Dec-09, 10:59 PM
We used to listen to him during car trips. I learned the words to several songs on the Fogarty's Cove album at quite a young age. I like Ron Hynes too.

The Backroad Astronomer
2009-Dec-09, 11:04 PM
My favourite I know this is probably a lot peoples favourite is "Barret's Privateers".

The Backroad Astronomer
2009-Dec-09, 11:11 PM
Well getting this thread somewhat back on track does any have Remembering Stan Rogers vol. 1 I have vol 2 on cd but have not seen vol 1 anywhere.

KaiYeves
2009-Dec-09, 11:19 PM
Adobe Photoshop and a Borders gift card.

Gillianren
2009-Dec-09, 11:33 PM
Neither Mike nor I was original; quoted from the same Tom Lehrer song.

Which I first heard in my junior high school orchestra class, believe it or not.

closetgeek
2009-Dec-10, 01:12 AM
Legs that work! Sitting in a wheelchair is getting old. :(

I got a few I don't use, in my closet. They are all left feet but are you really that into dancing, anyway? :lol:

I hope that wasn't in poor taste.

closetgeek
2009-Dec-10, 01:21 AM
Well getting this thread somewhat back on track does any have Remembering Stan Rogers vol. 1 I have vol 2 on cd but have not seen vol 1 anywhere.

http://www.amazon.com/Vol-1-Remembering-Stan-Rogers/dp/B00025ZAQ2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1260407605&sr=8-2

I would buy it for you but I am poor till next Friday. Seems lately there is too much month at the end of my money.

The Backroad Astronomer
2009-Dec-10, 01:38 AM
Thanks for finding it and the offer to buy it, it goes on list of things to get after I get a new job.

megrfl
2009-Dec-10, 01:57 AM

I know it cheered me up! I've heard that song many times, but I have never read it. It really is a cute song. Thanks. :)

danscope
2009-Dec-10, 02:32 AM
"....Our three crack powders made an awefull din,
But with one great ball, the Yanks stove us in..!"

eric_marsh
2009-Dec-10, 04:29 AM
I asked for lumps of coal.

The Backroad Astronomer
2009-Dec-10, 04:37 PM
I guess my behaviour in this thread makes me a git.

Buttercup
2009-Dec-10, 05:28 PM
Glad you liked it, megrfl! :)

Cosmocrazy, I'm decorating the tree this evening. :)

Buttercup
2009-Dec-10, 05:33 PM
Have a Holly Jolly Christmas!
it's the best time of the year;
I don't know if there'll be snow,
but have a cup of cheer!

Have a Holly Jolly Christmas!
and as you walk down the street;
say 'hello' to friends you know,
and everyone you meet!

Oh-HO the mistletoe: Hung where you can see;
Somebody waits for you, kiss him once for me!...

Moose
2009-Dec-10, 05:59 PM
"....Our three crack powders made an awefull din,
But with one great ball, the Yanks stove us in..!"

Nitpick: :)
"Our cracked four-pounders made an awful din,
But with one fat ball, Yank stove us in."

Epic kitchen party song.

LaurelHS
2009-Dec-10, 06:44 PM

I don't have a tree. I'm not planning to be in my apartment for Christmas anyway. I do have an artificial poinsettia garland over my kitchen window and a cardboard angel mobile and apple cinnamon candles.

My neighbourhood movie theatre is showing The Polar Express on Saturday for a fundraising event; in exchange for a five dollar donation to a toy drive, you get to watch the movie and you get popcorn. I think I'll go. :)

Moose
2009-Dec-10, 06:51 PM
Didn't do a tree last Christmas, but I did the year before that. I wish I'd thought to get a snapshot at the time, but I entered my living room to discover _both_ of my kittens peering out at me from the uppermost branches. Zoe was busy pulling LEDs out of their sockets.

Buttercup
2009-Dec-10, 07:01 PM
I don't have a tree. I'm not planning to be in my apartment for Christmas anyway. I do have an artificial poinsettia garland over my kitchen window and a cardboard angel mobile and apple cinnamon candles.

That sounds nice. :) Speaking of mobiles, a franchise store used to sell "angel chimes"; they'd softly spin and make little ringing noises, powered by candle flames. Had to be assembled, but that only took two minutes. I might look for those again...

My neighbourhood movie theatre is showing The Polar Express on Saturday for a fundraising event; in exchange for a five dollar donation to a toy drive, you get to watch the movie and you get popcorn. I think I'll go. :)

Sounds good! Love win-win setups like that. ;)

Swift
2009-Dec-10, 07:02 PM
I asked for lumps of coal.
I jokingly tell my wife sometimes that this is what I'm going to get her. Her response is usually that she wants her coal in this form (http://www.mervisdiamond.com/skin/frontend/default/mervis/images/diamond.jpg). :D

cosmocrazy
2009-Dec-10, 08:16 PM

Good! glad to hear you are getting all Christmasy! :D

I have just bought my first Christmas gift, no stopping me now!

cosmocrazy
2009-Dec-10, 08:16 PM
Nice old rock is that Swift! ;)

rommel543
2009-Dec-10, 08:51 PM
I jokingly tell my wife sometimes that this is what I'm going to get her. Her response is usually that she wants her coal in this form (http://www.mervisdiamond.com/skin/frontend/default/mervis/images/diamond.jpg). :D

Bah... I ask my wife why she wants an old squished piece of carbon like that when she can get a new fresh piece of carbon. Never works for some reason...:whistle:

Fazor
2009-Dec-10, 09:11 PM
Nice old rock is that Swift! ;)

In my experience, rocks that are swift are also often dangerous!

LaurelHS
2009-Dec-10, 09:18 PM
If someone has a sweet tooth, you can also give them this type of coal (http://www.hammondscandies.com/candy-coal-p-8.html). ;)

Swift
2009-Dec-10, 09:48 PM
Bah... I ask my wife why she wants an old squished piece of carbon like that when she can get a new fresh piece of carbon. Never works for some reason...:whistle:
Tell her coal is the "some assembly required" form of diamond. You just need to squish it. :D

Fazor
2009-Dec-10, 09:49 PM
If someone has a sweet tooth, you can also give them this type of coal (http://www.hammondscandies.com/candy-coal-p-8.html). ;)

A friend of the family used to give that to me and my brother every year. It even came with a tiny little metal pickax.

geonuc
2009-Dec-10, 10:08 PM
I want what Swift wants (we can share).

And a set of working legs for KK. :)

Kaptain K
2009-Dec-10, 10:15 PM
Thanks. My therapists and I are working on it!

Buttercup
2009-Dec-11, 03:13 PM
Decorated the tree last evening. :) It's a small tree, perhaps 4 feet tall. Red and green lights, red and green bell ornaments, a cross-stitch style Santa topper. Beneath is a decorative mat containing cute drawings of snowmen and snowflakes.

Will do the first of holiday baking Monday.

Another want for Christmas: A new full-length plush ("body") pillow from Bed, Bath & Beyond. And anything else my husband cares to buy for me from that place!

NorthernBoy
2009-Dec-11, 05:48 PM
My other half is buying me a motocross bike, on which I will try not to kill myself, and I'm buying her the games console that I've been wanting for a while...

BigDon
2009-Dec-11, 06:13 PM
I'm going to ask Santa for a new girlfriend.

I'm tired of being single.

HenrikOlsen
2009-Dec-11, 08:17 PM
I got a few I don't use, in my closet. They are all left feet but are you really that into dancing, anyway? :lol:

I hope that wasn't in poor taste.
It was in wonderfully poor taste:)

cosmocrazy
2009-Dec-12, 10:00 PM
My other half is buying me a motocross bike, on which I will try not to kill myself, and I'm buying her the games console that I've been wanting for a while...

I wish someone would buy me a moto x bike! I love my motocrossing! nice to see someone else sharing my interest.

Nice one NorthernBoy.

Seeka
2009-Dec-15, 02:04 PM
I've had enough of 2009. I just want to have a nice day with my family and maybe if I am lucky I can sort out my relationship before then. It's the first year I don't have a wish list. But I did buy myself a guitar:)

Fazor
2009-Dec-15, 02:19 PM
But I did buy myself a guitar:)
Nice. What kind?

mazzz_in_Leeds
2009-Dec-15, 02:51 PM
I'm hoping Santa brings me a new job -had an interview this morning, hopefully will find out next week whether I got it or not.

It would be really annoying to be stressing about it over the holidays, so I hope they do let me know soon!

geonuc
2009-Dec-15, 04:50 PM
I'm hoping Santa brings me a new job -had an interview this morning, hopefully will find out next week whether I got it or not.

It would be really annoying to be stressing about it over the holidays, so I hope they do let me know soon!
Good luck with that, and welcome to BAUT. :)

rommel543
2009-Dec-15, 05:42 PM
A heated mattress cover would be nice (explanation here (http://www.bautforum.com/off-topic-babbling/98094-home-owners-blues.html))

Good luck mazz_in_Leeds with the job hunt and welcome.

But I did buy myself a guitar:)

I got a Yamaha acoustic for my birthday. Now I'm learning how to play.

Seeka
2009-Dec-15, 07:27 PM
Nice. What kind?

Eh..it's black? :D Such a girlie response. The brand is Stagg and it's acoustic. I just saw it and thought yeah i'll have that. Especially after seeing Joe Bonamassa last week. What an inspiration. It wasn't expensive at all.

Seeka
2009-Dec-15, 07:29 PM
I got a Yamaha acoustic for my birthday. Now I'm learning how to play.

I'm worried about how much it's gonna hurt my fingers:eek: Good luck Rommel.

rommel543
2009-Dec-15, 07:35 PM
It digs in pretty good for the first while. I was told to just play around on the first for frets for the first while until my finger tips toughen up. In one of the instructional books I downloaded it states to only play until you fingers start getting sore, then to put the guitar down for a while. If you do like Brian Adamms in the summer of 69 and play to your fingers bleed your going to have to wait until they heal before you can play again.

Seeka
2009-Dec-15, 07:46 PM
It digs in pretty good for the first while. I was told to just play around on the first for frets for the first while until my finger tips toughen up. In one of the instructional books I downloaded it states to only play until you fingers start getting sore, then to put the guitar down for a while. If you do like Brian Adamms in the summer of 69 and play to your fingers bleed your going to have to wait until they heal before you can play again.

No pain no gain right? My acrylic nails will have to come off then:( Keep me posted with your progress Rommel:)

rommel543
2009-Dec-15, 08:13 PM
Oh ya... no fingernails.....unless you can learn to hold the strings down with them.

So far my fingers are still soft and squishy but I've only been going for a couple of days at night.

Whirlpool
2009-Dec-15, 08:41 PM
I wish for a Roundtrip Ticket to Texas. :D

streather
2009-Dec-15, 09:10 PM
All i really have a desire for at Christmas is some socks and boxer shorts :lol:

I know I have some xbox games, a new jacket (my old leather ones getting quite damaged now) and a john petrucci guitar instructional dvd though.

Seeka
2009-Dec-15, 09:16 PM
Oh ya... no fingernails.....unless you can learn to hold the strings down with them.

So far my fingers are still soft and squishy but I've only been going for a couple of days at night.

It will be worth it when you can pick up the guitar and jam at a party, I am always jealous of people who can do that.

Gillianren
2009-Dec-15, 10:48 PM
A friend of mine in college wrote a snarly piece once about people who bring guitars to parties, noting that no one ever brings trumpets. I'd say it depends on the party, though.

Roger Ebert's current blog entry is a list of possible presents, and I'd really, really like the first one he mentions, but it isn't happening. No one I expect a present from is going to spend the $250 for the 25-movie Akira Kurosawa box set. It's a nice dream, though.

iniaes
2009-Dec-15, 11:04 PM
I have a wish list that I would need a small lottery win to afford, still, it's nice to dream, getting some astro DVDs and books hopefully, and possibly a decent filter and EP set for my 'scope :)

sarongsong
2009-Dec-16, 03:16 AM
...Sitting in a wheelchair is getting old. :(Using a ROHO cushion (http://www.therohostore.com/Products/MINI-MAX-Cushion__MINI.aspx)? Brother's been in a chair for many moons now, says there's nothing comparable and always keeps a spare.
Looking forward to inhaling my portion of a dark chocolate mousse Yule Log from the local French bakery... http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

mazzz_in_Leeds
2009-Dec-16, 11:15 AM
geonuc and rommel543 - thank you both for the good luck wishes and the welcome :)