PDA

View Full Version : Change The Books.Is it Possible?

LALIT
2009-Dec-10, 11:44 AM
I have a Pdf Format scanned Book but it Contains some Errors i want to make some changes on it and Provided it to all my Teammates.is it Possible?can i provide them a real story without any errors?

Tog
2009-Dec-10, 01:42 PM
There are programs that will allow you to convert PDF files to Word or Excel formats. The one we use is called Able2Extract. It's stupid easy to use and has a functional, but limited 7 day trial.

hhEb09'1
2009-Dec-10, 01:47 PM
We use Blue Beam (http://www.bluebeam.com/web07/us/products/revu/?src=52&gclid=CKmkspWAzJ4CFQJinAodumWhqg), which allows marking up pdfs directly. Well, the school does, I don't much. From their website, it looks like they charge $150 for a copy of the software.

Hlafordlaes
2009-Dec-10, 07:06 PM
I haven't tried it, but here's a free on-line converter (http://www.convertpdftoword.net/) you might test. To then convert back to pdf, you might try handy freebie doPDF (http://www.dopdf.com/), which installs itself as a printer. Easy to use and very good, one of the 'keepers' on my system (slipstreamed into my XPSP3 install CD).

In fact, I never buy printers anymore, I just pdf my docs and then email them to a local print shop on the rare occasion I need hard copy. The pdf format ensures whatever I send is exactly what I get back. It's cheaper than printer ink. Now I can have other useless junk on my desk in its place, like my trusty cigar box doodad filing system.

Jens
2009-Dec-11, 03:12 AM
Just wondering, but was that posted by some kind of a bot? It's a new user with only one post and something with no connection to astronomy, plus so generic. Is it a real person, or is this some kind of spam? I don't understand what the purpose would be though...

kleindoofy
2009-Dec-11, 03:25 AM
I have a Pdf Format scanned Book ...
"Scanned" as in "images" of the pages? I.e. the PDF pages are pictures and the text can't be marked or exported because the letters are all part of a big picture?

If so, forget the conversion programs and live with the errors.

Well, I recently heard of one program that will do an attempt at OCR on the pages, but that's what it boils down to: OCR.

If the text is text and not part of a big image, the best program for PDF manipulation is Pitstop. The problem is it's a professional utility used in large printing companies and costs a few cool thousand.

Swift
2009-Dec-11, 02:37 PM
Just wondering, but was that posted by some kind of a bot? It's a new user with only one post and something with no connection to astronomy, plus so generic. Is it a real person, or is this some kind of spam? I don't understand what the purpose would be though...
The post was actually reported by a member, shortly after it was posted, as possible spam. It was checked out by several moderators, and there wasn't any firm evidence of that, so we allowed it.

samkent
2009-Dec-11, 03:35 PM
pdf2word

HenrikOlsen
2009-Dec-11, 06:59 PM
If it's spam it's the first half of the two-step spam, the second half would be another new user actually pushing a product as a supposed answer to the question, making it look somewhat legitimate.

We've seen them before, sometimes they even manage to get the second post to complete as well.

hhEb09'1
2009-Dec-11, 07:12 PM
And, since I was the first to mention a software solution, I'm now under suspicion, and have to serve a 14 day probationary period.

Fazor
2009-Dec-11, 07:16 PM
Well, it passed my "check it the lazy way" test: did a search for the exact post on Google and this is the only result. Typically if it's a bot, there'd be the same post on other forums.

Doesn't exclude an actual spamming person who manually types messages (thus leaving similar but not exactly worded posts).

Swift
2009-Dec-11, 07:52 PM
Well, it passed my "check it the lazy way" test: did a search for the exact post on Google and this is the only result. Typically if it's a bot, there'd be the same post on other forums.

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/CBSS/thumb_smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-static-012.gif
You're giving away all of our secrets.

Fazor
2009-Dec-11, 08:33 PM
http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/CBSS/thumb_smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-static-012.gif
You're giving away all of our secrets.

Heh, a de-rail but not that this discussion is currently that active: I read a story linked from CNN today about a man that found a "championship" ring, but was having trouble finding the owner to return it.

He turned to the particular local news, but they said they couldn't find an owner either.

After about 30 seconds and two Google searches, I'm fairly confident that I was able to track it down.

But watching my boss or my parents try to find something on line shows that internet fact gathering isn't an automatic skill, I guess. Probably helps that my generation has been on the internet since we were wee lads and lasses. And the younger generation is probably even better at it yet.

Fazor
2009-Dec-11, 08:54 PM
Heh, nevermind. I found a forum post by the guy that actually found the ring (rather than the news article about it) and it's quite obvious my hunch was 100% wrong.

publiusr
2009-Dec-11, 09:40 PM
Lost and found in the newspaper still has its place.