PDA

View Full Version : Soc 110 paper

Sean
2002-Apr-09, 09:49 PM
I am planning on writing a Sociology paper on observed reactions from this bulletin board. If You do not want your posts included please let me know and I will try to keep them out.

Sean
2002-Apr-09, 09:51 PM
Oh if there is anyone here from the old BA bulitine board I am wondering if the term Piper effect was coined there and by who? It has to nice of a sound to it for me to think I just came up with it on my own.

AstroMike
2002-Apr-09, 09:57 PM
On 2002-04-09 17:49, Sean wrote:
I am planning on writing a Sociology paper on observed reactions from this bulletin board. If You do not want your posts included please let me know and I will try to keep them out.
I prefer if you keep me out of it. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

DaveC
2002-Apr-09, 10:00 PM
I'd be delighted to help with your project. Feel free to use any of my stuff you want. Any chance those of us that agree to participate could get to see the paper after you submit it? I'd be interested.

The Incubus
2002-Apr-09, 10:11 PM
On 2002-04-09 17:49, Sean wrote:

I don't mind, though I probably won't have anything particularly insightful to say /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

The (...) Incubus

Sean
2002-Apr-09, 10:27 PM
I plan on submiting a copy to the BA when it is finished. I am also willing to Email copies to anyone interested. My due date is two and a half months from now and will send a post when its completed.

johnwitts
2002-Apr-09, 10:48 PM
Sean, use anything you want from me. You can even use my name. I think Astromike's got the jitters because of the 'Men in Black', but I won't mention that here. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Jim
2002-Apr-10, 12:06 AM
Heck, use away.

I'd be interested in knowing more about your paper. What do you hope to learn and/or demonstrate from our reactions? Do you have a particular board topic in mind? Why for?

Hey, this isn't for abnormal sociology, is it?

Chuck
2002-Apr-10, 12:09 AM
If I've inadvertently said anything useful please feel free to use it.

Sean
2002-Apr-10, 01:19 AM
I am not sure how to quate previous postings so forgive my not refering to direct questions in my own postings.

The class requires severall opinion papers on open topics. When thinking up my topics I remembered being facinated by how threads involving questions about astronomy at this site would quickly be overpowered by a few posters looking to get a reaction out of the regulars at that time. Those familiar with the Old Bulletin Board will recognize what I am talking about.

That is what I want to base one paper on. not just the people who do these types of postings but the almost compulsion others had and still have to respond to them. EVen after it is painfully obvious even to the poster that those responses are having no effect.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sean on 2002-04-09 21:20 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sean on 2002-04-09 21:21 ]</font>

2002-Apr-10, 09:06 AM
<a name="20020410.2:48"> page 20020410.2:48 aka # @ !
On 2002-04-09 21:19, Sean wrote: To: HUb' 2:48
PreMission granted.. say what you like .. use any letters you like
even Hi ascci. for my part . SOC Souther Oregon College [Link Later]
3 lemme see if i remember its Tri Di {dill_usional}
2 two was Bi {um? Bi_Psy} [PSYCHOTIC]
& 1 was mono. (Schetzoprenic) so yeah in chant it goes
Tri.di.Bi.Psy.Mono {kind of a slow cadence}
with the accent on the Mono.. Exactly why "THEY" choose ?i donno?
those are not my words. I would ask though {if included} you include 1 Mayan Date? 9 EB 10 POP
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sean on 2002-04-09 21:21 ]</font>

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Apr-10, 10:45 AM
On 2002-04-09 21:19, Sean wrote:
I am not sure how to quate previous postings so forgive my not refering to direct questions in my own postings.

I'm guessing you mean to quote previous postings and not divide them into four parts. Just hit the Quote button at the bottom of the post that you want to quote. It uses BBcode (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/faq.php#bbcode[/url).

What are some of your own bona fides? I don't find you listed at Megan's guestbook (http://www.jump.net/~rmal/BAusers.htm) from the old BB.

David Hall
2002-Apr-10, 11:12 AM
I will sacrifice my privacy for the sake of science and education also. Actually I'd be very curious to see if and how my presence here affects everything. Probably it will come out to something like this:

Influence of David Hall on the message board community = A hill of beans (small).

Good luck and keep us posted (pun intended). /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

David Hall
2002-Apr-10, 11:19 AM
On 2002-04-09 17:51, Sean wrote:
Oh if there is anyone here from the old BA bulitine board I am wondering if the term Piper effect was coined there and by who? It has to nice of a sound to it for me to think I just came up with it on my own.

I remember the day Pip...he who shall not be named showed up. I quickly bowed out. I tried one post and got a very insulting answer from him, so I decided I would never directly address him again.

Anyway, while everyone else was busy flaming and cursing, there was also a new guy with some hoax-believer leanings asking a few questions. Unfortunately he got a lot of fallout from the HWSNBN conflict. Only myself and a couple of others tried to give him a fair shake and answer his questions calmly at the time. I really felt sorry for him, he had the bad fortune of popping up at just the wrong time and caught the flames. Otherwise I think he would have had a reasonable welcome here (there).

Valiant Dancer
2002-Apr-10, 11:28 AM
On 2002-04-09 17:51, Sean wrote:

By all means, use away. I consider anything that I post anywhere to be in the public domain. As for who first coined the "P" word effect, I don't know. I'm willing to bet it's the same person who set up PA. (And wonderful work they do, too.) The style is pretty close to Rubysue, The Rat, Trish, and Lisa would be capable of. I'm probably forgetting a few other names as well. The nome-de-plume is worthy of the theology that the "P" word came up with. Theology is the only real way to describe his adherence to his "minianomolies" in the face of so much contradicting evidence.

Yes, he still gets my knickers in a twist.

Simon
2002-Apr-10, 11:41 AM
Well, I don't post a whole lot since I'm generally outclassed in terms of techincal knowledge and/or obsession in the subject (and I tend to be shy), but you can use anything from me you find interesing.

ToSeek
2002-Apr-10, 12:07 PM
You're welcome to use my posts, if any are of interest.

SeanF
2002-Apr-10, 12:28 PM
You can use any of my posts that may be of interest to you, although I to would be interested in reading the paper when it's finished.

(And, Sean, make sure you keep my posts separate from your own!) /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

odysseus0101
2002-Apr-10, 12:52 PM
Please feel free to use and/or abuse me. I'd also like a copy of the paper when it is finished.

Silas
2002-Apr-10, 02:11 PM
What they all said: if useful, sure, and I'd love to see the final product.

Silas

(That's Silas Sparkhammer, if you need my full pseudonym...)

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Apr-10, 02:13 PM
Everything I say here on this board is public domain, though what I say on the site proper is common-law copyrighted, so if you want to use it just put in a link back to the site and give me credit. Also, if you want to talk about the sociolosgy of board, feel free to drop me an email.

SpacedOut
2002-Apr-10, 02:56 PM
No complaints from me either.

Sean
2002-Apr-10, 04:17 PM
On 2002-04-10 06:45, GrapesOfWrath wrote:

What are some of your own bona fides? I don't find you listed at Megan's guestbook (http://www.jump.net/~rmal/BAusers.htm) from the old BB.

I first started at the old board a week or so after the Fox show but for not because of the fox show. Mainly lurked at the time because I did not and still do not have the physics and astronomy needed to contribute very much. I am listed at the P---- Anonymous site and did post often to parts that were off topic enough for me to be familiar with the subject. I also used the BB as a research site into various class topics I came across.
I never signed up on the guest list as it went around because of my off and on posting status.

Donnie B.
2002-Apr-10, 05:09 PM
Use anything of mine you like.

I suggest you reverse your policy: don't use anything unless you get permission. However, this is only for the sake of politeness; I don't think you'd have any legal problems in quoting anything and everything from this board... it's public domian, afaik.

You might also want to check out the Bad Astronomy-related threads on the Skeptic Friends board (www.skepticfriends.org), where a number of side discussions have been held.

The Curtmudgeon
2002-Apr-10, 05:39 PM
It depends on the exact slant you take, of course, but I suspect that little if anything of mine would be useful to you. But if you do find something you want to use, feel free to quote and/or paraphrase anything I've posted here or on the old Board. If you do, I'd like to see a copy of the paper, too.

The (I've always been considered an experiment-in-sociology by my friends) Curtmudgeon