PDA

View Full Version : Black holes..eating habits?

N C More
2004-Feb-19, 11:38 PM
Here's another nifty slide show and a good article on black holes and star "consumption" http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4302550/

Yumblie
2004-Feb-20, 04:58 AM
Black holes are known to be sloppy eaters. They digest only a small amount of what's on their dinner plates, spitting the rest back into space. In this case, only about 1 percent of the star was ultimately swallowed, the research team concluded. The rest of the star's gas was flung into the galaxy by the momentum and energy of the whole interaction, including the radiation kicked up by the portion of gas that did disappear.

How much do typical black holes end up swallowing? I always figured that once matter's in the accretion disc, it's doomed to fall in. I never thought of it being flung back out.

Diamond
2004-Feb-20, 09:07 AM
Black holes are evil. That is all. :o

AGN Fuel
2004-Feb-20, 11:23 PM
Black holes are known to be sloppy eaters. They digest only a small amount of what's on their dinner plates, spitting the rest back into space. In this case, only about 1 percent of the star was ultimately swallowed, the research team concluded. The rest of the star's gas was flung into the galaxy by the momentum and energy of the whole interaction, including the radiation kicked up by the portion of gas that did disappear.

How much do typical black holes end up swallowing? I always figured that once matter's in the accretion disc, it's doomed to fall in. I never thought of it being flung back out.

Black holes can often produce bi-polar jets of material ejected at relativistic speeds. The mechanisms are still not well understood, but seem to be related to magnetic fields acting on the ionised material in the accretion disk. Have a look at the jet emanating from the SMBH in M87 - over 8000 light years long and collimated like a laser! :o