PDA

View Full Version : what you need when you need it - who's saying this?

tashirosgt
2009-Dec-18, 01:29 AM
Sometimes when the attempt to get to bautforum.com or some other website fails for some reason, I am redirected to a page that says something like:

bautforum.com
what you need when you need it

It has some modest advertising on it. What is sending me to this place? I changed my primary DNS server to Google's 8.8.8.8 and this still happens.

SolusLupus
2009-Dec-18, 01:46 AM
I couldn't say myself, but I just wanted to comment that that doesn't really sound like a useful advertisement, does it?

kleindoofy
2009-Dec-18, 02:13 AM
Sounds like some default "catch all" page from a provider.

Maybe your local DNS-server gets a case of the hiccups occasionally and doesn't connect you properly to bautforum.com. You then get an unregistered page and the provider gives you their "you could have this" page.

Or: dunno.

HenrikOlsen
2009-Dec-18, 04:47 PM
Check your computer for ad-ware's.

cosmocrazy
2009-Dec-18, 05:23 PM
Check your computer for ad-ware's.

I agree, sounds to me like you have a little bug. I have had similar in the past and its soon been sorted with a scan by my anti-virus and ad-ware security programs. :)

rommel543
2009-Dec-18, 06:23 PM
You have a bot in your computer that is causing re-directs. Lucky for you it's not 'pron' sites. I would suggest running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. It's free and it scans your entire computer instead of just the most accessed areas.

tashirosgt
2009-Dec-25, 10:16 PM
I've investigated this unwanted redirection further on a linux forum in the thread:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44

There is no definitive answer yet.

I don't think the redirection is caused by malware since I have at least 4 different computers with different operating systems on them and the redirection happens on all of them. What's common is Qwest DSL service and my non-Qwest ISP provider

I don't think it is caused by the configuration of the Firefox browser because of the above and because it also happens when I use the command line "wget" to retrieve web pages.

I don't think it is the DNS server address since I have tried various servers including Googles 8.8.8.8 , My ISP's server and the modem address (which probably gives me a Qwest DNS server).

So it might be some intervention by Qwest or the ISP in the DNS process. Or it might have to do with some tcp/ip option that I don't understand yet.

HenrikOlsen
2009-Dec-26, 12:52 AM
It is technically possible for your isp to have firewall rules that put all dns traffic through their own servers regardless of which one you define, which can put any traffic anywhere they like to send you.

There was a case a while ago with an isp who put all traffic to Google through their own servers and replaced the advertisements with some where they got kickbacks for showing them.

Jeff Root
2009-Dec-26, 05:23 AM
tashirosgt,

It looks to me like the line "What you need when you need it" is supposed to
immediately follow the name of whoever is advertising, not the location that
you were trying to reach. So either you missed noticing or don't remember
seeing the name of the advertiser, or your browser is failing to display that
name for some reason. It might be intended to be displyed by a script that
you don't permit to be run, or the like.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

tashirosgt
2010-Jan-01, 05:31 AM
The solution to the redirection problem has to do with how the browser makes a DNS lookup request for a URL. Certain command line commands such as ping, wget and tracetroute use the same procedure as the browser.

For example, if you do

ping fedoraf.org

The first DNS request looks up "fedoraf.org". If that is not found then the local domain name is appended and the request is made with this new name.

It happened that I named my local domain "myhouse.org" when I installed Fedora Core 11. (This is kept in /etc/sysconfig/network at the line HOSTNAME=autry.myhouse.org)

So ping (and the browser) are looking for "fedoraf.org.myhouse.org".

They find the advertising pages. I suppose this is because the "searchportal" advertiser owns the myhouse.org domain. The name "myhouse.org" is often used in documentation to illustrate an arbitrary name. In Linux, names with "foo" in them are also. I wonder if the advertisers bought those domains also?

I suppose the lesson is to pick a name for your local network that is not used in the wider world.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Jan-02, 07:26 AM
I suppose the lesson is to pick a name for your local network that is not used in the wider world.
Or use a name that you actually own or at least have some control over.