PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite type of music.

rommel543
2009-Dec-18, 09:21 PM
Of course Christmas is big this time of year, but if you had a sound track following you around, what would you like listening to?

Myself, I like rock and metal. I am currently listening Rage against the Machine - Microphone Fiend, although the mix also has Beastie Boys, Disturbed, Hollywood Undead, Metallica, Powerman 5000, etc.

I also like Regatone, Folk (mainly east coast maritime), and some Classical.

tdvance
2009-Dec-18, 10:16 PM
classical, some jazz too. I also like the more orchestral of the show tunes (e.g. Les Miserables, Fiddler on the Roof, Brigadoon)

Buttercup
2009-Dec-18, 10:20 PM
My absolute favorite? Heavy metal.

No kidding (most people don't believe me until they hear it *LOUD* from my car or house :lol: ).

jokergirl
2009-Dec-18, 10:42 PM
I don't have one favourite type of music.
Maybe that's because I seem to be one of the few people not accepting that everybody *has* to have a constant soundtrack following you around. Maybe it's just because I forget to turn on music most of the time (same reason).

But mainly, I like lots of things. Jazz, heavy metal, lounge, electronica. As long as it's not pop and I can tell the people making it are having as much fun making it as I have listening to it, I'll have it.

;)

Arneb
2009-Dec-18, 11:07 PM
Classical, especially Schütz, Bach, Mozart, Schubert, Brahms, Bruckner, Mahler, Berg.

Georg Kreisler.

Oh, yes, And AC/DC. My dark side.

KaiYeves
2009-Dec-18, 11:12 PM
I'm very eclectic. I like show tunes, I like some traditional music from exotic cultures, I like classical/modern fusions like Vangelis or the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, I like Filk...

This is why I'm not going to create an exercise music CD even though our gym teacher said we could. Everybody else would think it was too weird.

Romanus
2009-Dec-18, 11:48 PM
In order:
1.) Progressive / Ambient / Electronica (not equivalent, but put together for simplicity).
2.) Classic rock of the '70s and '80s, with plenty of New Wave thrown in.
3.) Swing music and doo-wop.
4.) A little of everything else.

kleindoofy
2009-Dec-18, 11:53 PM
... if you had a sound track following you around, what would you like listening to? ...
Jauchzet, frohlocket!

(tympani: bum bdbdbmbm bum bum)

Auf, preiset die Tage!

Bach's Christmas Oratorio. What else?

In general I would just copy Arneb's list, though I would have Brahms and Schubert switch places. Not to forget Beethoven Smetana, Dvorak, Monteverdi, Vivaldi ...

He can keep AC/DC however.

Fazor
2009-Dec-19, 02:17 AM
I like lots and lots of music. Rap and Country are the two I don't listen to, but if I'm being honest, I'd have to say that there's even rap and country songs that I like.

But if I had to pick one, I'd say 90's rock. Foo-Fighters (who are still around and good as ever, btw), Nirvana, Alice in Chains, STP, Pearl Jam . . . and those are just the big names. Ah, the 90's; when one could rock out to more than just a series of three power chords and whiney lyrics. I'm looking at you, groups like Puddle of Mud!

cjl
2009-Dec-19, 05:03 AM
I like lots and lots of music. Rap and Country are the two I don't listen to, but if I'm being honest, I'd have to say that there's even rap and country songs that I like.

That's pretty close to my opinion - I'll listen to most anything, though Rap and Country are my least favorite.

What I like most is classical though. I also enjoy rock (both classic and somewhat more modern) and jazz.

(Bring on the Bach - I love baroque :D)

danscope
2009-Dec-19, 05:56 AM
The wonder and beauty of music is that your favorite music of the day can change from day to day, and moment to moment. You are truly free to enjoy your fancy.
My personal spectrum of music I often enjoy is quite wide spread.
My only distaste lies in the form of rap. If that is playing in a store I have to leave. A brother beating on a plastic drum in the subway is preferable, and I will give him some ready cash.
I play many forms and instruments personally, and makes it all worth while.
May you find your happiness in "your" favorite music of the moment.

Best regards,
Dan

redshifter
2009-Dec-19, 06:31 AM
In a very broad sense, I listen to mainly rock, though several different sub-genres:

Progressive rock (old and new): Yes, Rush, Nektar, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Dream Theater, Flash, etc.

Heavy Metal: Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, SymphonyX, Shadow Gallery, ect.

Classic rock: Zeppelin, Doors, Hendrix, Blue Oyster Cult, etc. It's tough to categorize some of these bands/artists IMO. Is Led Zeppelin classic or prog rock for example.

I love the blues stuff from The Blues Brothers (the original movie).

I also will occasionally pop in a classical or reggae CD.

The only types of music I can say I don't like are rap and country; and pretty much any of the garbage they play in the athletic club I work out in, though it's debatable whether that stuff can be referred to as 'music'.

novaderrik
2009-Dec-19, 07:25 PM
i currently have a 2GB USB thumb drive with every Metallica song i know of plugged into the usb port in my car stereo. it is set on shuffle.
i need to get another thumb drive to make a "not Metallica" drive that i can fill with all my Slayer, Megadeth, Skynyrd, Anthrax, and all the other stuff that is taking up space in my cd rack. then i need to find digital versions of all the stuff i still have on tape like D.R.I. and Iron Maiden..

Clive Tester
2009-Dec-19, 09:31 PM
Hawkwind. And I am a Windhead, not a Hawker, so that really precisely defines my musical taste!

Dgennero
2009-Dec-19, 09:40 PM
I like to listen to anything that sounds "hi-tech".
Can be Freestyle, Dancefloor, Soft Techno, Progressive Rock, Electro etc.
Some of my favorites:
Freestyle Megamix by Freestyle
Pac Jam (Jonzun Crew)
Anything by Kraftwerk
Eloy: Metromania
Neil Young: Trans - the only album where he uses vocoder voice
Jean-Michel Jarre, Oxygene, Equinoxe etc.
Logic System, see here: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Logic+System

I currently have a sanDisk slotRadio which has 4 GB per chip and about 1 album download-capacity per chip - unless you buy an empty chip, of course ;)

Arneb
2009-Dec-19, 09:55 PM
though I would have Brahms and Schubert switch places.
I ordered them by date of birth, not preference ;-)

Not to forget Beethoven Smetana, Dvorak, Monteverdi, Vivaldi ...

I considered adding Monteverdi but then thought better of it, because I do not know the operas at all. However, I owe the single most overwhelming musical moment of my life to him - The St. Mary's Vesper, live in Perugia, in 1987. It was one of those "too bright to look at" moments.

Beethoven...well yes, you are probably right. Wouldn't want to live without the 4th piano concerto.

He can keep AC/DC however.
Sigh. That's what they all say.

Cougar
2009-Dec-19, 11:33 PM
...I seem to be one of the few people not accepting that everybody *has* to have a constant soundtrack following you around....

Me, too. I actually don't listen to a lot of music. I haven't been "up" on who's hot for, oh, decades. But I play music most every day, and I have listened to a lot of music in my lifetime up to this point. :rolleyes: One seems to gravitate to the music that was around from, say, age 14 to 24. Perhaps? This would surely date me. :hand: :) With the common exception of 'hard rap', I can enjoy most all kinds of music. Well, I'm not a big fan of heavy metal, but Led Zep might be on the 'playlist'. 'Classical music' is quite a broad category, and I know there are many, many remarkable classical pieces that can really send you. Smetana's The Moldau is one I arranged for piano and play once in a while.

But, uh, the evolution of Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, B.B. King, Clapton, Wynwood, Brian Auger, Brownie and Sonny, Ramsey Lewis, Dave Grusin, Mose Allison, Keith Jarrett, wow the list goes on....

rommel543
2009-Dec-20, 01:03 AM
I have Sirius satellite in my Jeep and in my living room. It's either set to Octane (new metal), Bone Yard(Rock and metal from the last 20 years), or Classic Vinyl(Rock from 20-40 years ago). I am usually listening to music pretty much everywhere I go.

ShadowSot
2009-Dec-20, 01:14 AM
I like country and folk, with a mix of new age, classical, and classic rock.

Hungry4info
2009-Dec-20, 02:34 AM
Gothic rock and darkwave. The Sisters of Mercy, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Blutengel, The Crüxshadows, Clan of Xymox, Christian Death, Alien Sex Fiend, etc.

DippyHippy
2009-Dec-20, 03:02 AM
I'll listen to almost anything so it really depends on my mood, but I usually go for the electronic stuff.

Specifically, I like listening to Jean-Michel Jarre and especially Vangelis because I find Vangelis both inspiring and relaxing. My favorite Vangelis tracks are Young Alexander and Titans (from Alexander) and Ave and Elsewhere from Direct, pretty much all of Oceanic (but especially Sirens Whispering and Song of the Seas - they remind me of Hawaii) and Messages from Voices.

I currently have two favorite songs - one is "Across The Universe" by the Beatles but I LOVE "Beyond The Blue" by Beth Nielsen Chapman :)

Romanus
2009-Dec-20, 03:57 AM
<--- Fellow Vangelis fan. :)

"Young Alexander" *is* a great track; "Drums of Gaugamela" is my own favorite on that soundtrack. All of Direct is amazing, as is Oceanic (which my folks got for me despite my skepticism...what a surprise!).

DippyHippy
2009-Dec-20, 04:10 AM
I like Drums too - excellent track - but not as much as the other two. I also like the Introduction and Tender Memories. I think Oceanic is his best album.

If you like Blade Runner, I recommend the 25th Anniversary 3 CD set - the third CD is full of new music. I love the first two tracks - I find the whole album to be inspiring. Makes me want to write a screenplay for a BR sequel...

Sorry to hijack the thread LOL

Seeka
2009-Dec-20, 11:05 AM
I am a rock chick at heart so anything from Tool to Maiden, PJ Harvey, Pantera, Audio Slave, Beatie Boys, Sisters of Mercy, old Metallica stuff, Rage and Disturbed to name a few.

I do a mean version of Britneys Hit Me One More Time with my brother on guitar also:shifty:

cosmocrazy
2009-Dec-20, 02:34 PM
I do a mean version of Britneys Hit Me One More Time with my brother on guitar also:shifty:

What with the sexy outfit and the dance moves? You must get that videoed then posted on You Tube! :lol:

naira718
2009-Dec-20, 04:52 PM
hi
i like gospel n R&B

KaiYeves
2009-Dec-20, 04:57 PM
Hey! Welcome to BAUT, Naira!

closetgeek
2009-Dec-20, 06:09 PM
I have a very broad range of music that I listen to. It all depends on either what mood I am in or what mood I want to be in. The Motels immediately follow Morbid Angel on my list of MP3s. There are only two bands that I can safely say I pretty much listen to every song on every CD I own and that's Pink Floyd and Angels And Airwaves. After that you can list a type of music and I can probably name something I like from it.

danscope
2009-Dec-20, 08:40 PM
Upon thinking what my favorite music is, I should classify it as
" Acoustic Music " . And to tell you the truth, I so enjoyed the music to be found in the film..." Waking Ned Divine " . :)

Dan

Seeka
2009-Dec-20, 09:51 PM
What with the sexy outfit and the dance moves? You must get that videoed then posted on You Tube! :lol:

No, I can assure you that would be a very scary video to watch:(:p

DippyHippy
2009-Dec-20, 11:44 PM
LOL Trust me, I'm sure there are videos that are waaaaaay scarier than that on YouTube...

ToSeek
2009-Dec-21, 12:52 AM
I've been on a classical kick for the last several years (baroque, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky) but also like sixties rock-and-roll and some folk music.

KaiYeves
2009-Dec-21, 03:09 PM
I like Drums too - excellent track - but not as much as the other two. I also like the Introduction and Tender Memories. I think Oceanic is his best album.
I like Alpha, Heaven and Hell, Mythodeia (all of it), and most of the songs from Albedo .39.

Argos
2009-Dec-21, 03:14 PM
Rock, Pop, bossa nova, Tango, Cool Jazz and most of the classics.

cosmocrazy
2009-Dec-21, 04:53 PM
Does anyone find that they acquire different tastes in music as the years go by?

I'm pretty much an in the mood sort of person when it comes down to music, I listen to whatever fits my current state of mind. But recently I find myself into modern R&B which I never liked that much before.

One artist I'm into at the moment though is Lady Ga Ga, I think she's really cool! :)

Seeka
2009-Dec-21, 05:03 PM
Does anyone find that they acquire different tastes in music as the years go by?

I'm pretty much an in the mood sort of person when it comes down to music, I listen to whatever fits my current state of mind. But recently I find myself into modern R&B which I never liked that much before.

One artist I'm into at the moment though is Lady Ga Ga, I think she's really cool! :)

She's a guilty pleasure of mine, I like her because she's different and a bit off the wall. Great to dance to at a club too:whistle:

rommel543
2009-Dec-21, 07:34 PM

I like listening to different music at different times, but I always enjoy listening to rock and metal. Obviously mood does play a big part in what I want to listen to but I find that what I'm doing,the weather, etc all play a part in what music I want. For example if I'm baking (I love to bake) I'm always in the mood for Sinatra.

cosmocrazy
2009-Dec-21, 10:40 PM
She's a guilty pleasure of mine, I like her because she's different and a bit off the wall. Great to dance to at a club too:whistle:

Yeah the great thing is you can get away with some wacky dance moves when dancing to her tunes! suits me just fine!! :lol:

north
2009-Dec-21, 11:08 PM
FM , Mahogany Rush , Satriani , Jethro Tull , Gordon Lightfoot , to name a few

The Backroad Astronomer
2009-Dec-22, 01:24 AM
Usually depends on the song but generally anything not rap or heavy metal.

LaurelHS
2009-Dec-22, 04:30 AM
I like a variety of music, but I'm always in the mood to listen to Bruce Springsteen.

Jens
2009-Dec-22, 05:40 AM
I suppose that "classical" progressive rock is the best answer for me, but I also like listening to lots of other things. In addition to 60s, 70s, and 80s rock, I like reggae and some "world music" (like Youssou Ndour and stuff like that). I don't listen to jazz or classical much.

Dgennero
2009-Dec-22, 03:29 PM
@DippyHippy and Romanus: Oh yes, Vangelis too - my favorite albums are "Heaven and Hell" and "Albedo 0.39".

rigel
2009-Dec-22, 08:32 PM
Since I recently got cable, I been listing to music of all sort: Rock, classical, movie sound tracks, some CW. Just sampling everything. I was blasting Neil Young's Sleeps with Angels to knock the snow off my car.

Cougar
2009-Dec-23, 03:08 AM
...Cool Jazz...

Ah, that sounds better than 'smooth' jazz. Music genres are still rather mystifying to me. I've played in a number of broad categories - blues, ambient, dixieland, world music, cool jazz ;) I was rather amazed at the number of different categories of jazz:

Jazz Styles

Big Band/Swing
* Big Band
* Dance Bands
* Swing
* Ballroom Dance
* Modern Big Band
* Progressive Jazz
* Jive
* Retro Swing
* Sweet Bands
* Experimental Big Band
* Continental Jazz
* British Dance Bands
* Society Dance Band

Bop
* Bop
* Vocalese

Cool
* Chamber Jazz
* Cool
* West Coast Jazz

Free Jazz
* Modern Creative
* Modern Free
* M-Base
* Free Jazz
* Third Stream
* Free Funk
* Avant-Garde Jazz

Fusion
* Fusion
* Jazz-Pop
* Contemporary Jazz
* Crossover Jazz
* Free Funk
* Jazz-Rock
* Smooth Jazz

Hard Bop
* Post-Bop
* Hard Bop
* Modal Music
* Standards

Latin Jazz/World Fusion
* World Fusion
* Latin Jazz
* Afro-Cuban Jazz
* Brazilian Jazz
* Latin Big Band
* Cuban Jazz
* African Jazz

New Orleans/Classic Jazz
* Boogie-Woogie
* Ragtime
* Dixieland
* Stride
* Early Jazz
* New Orleans Jazz
* Mainstream Jazz
* Trad Jazz
* New Orleans Brass Bands
* Novelty Ragtime
* New Orleans Jazz Revival

Soul Jazz/Groove
* Jazz-Funk
* Soul Jazz
* Hard Bop

I generally just play what I like. :)

danscope
2009-Dec-24, 12:28 AM
Great music, and it has it's roots in acoustic folk music and Mississippi river delta blues. A truly American music form.
Presently listening to the great Mississippi John Hurt playing
"lovin spoonful" and a tune called 'candyman blues' .
He was living proof that you are never too old to make good music .

Dan

clint
2009-Dec-24, 02:48 AM
No, I can assure you that would be a very scary video to watch:(:p

Bring it on! ;)

clint
2009-Dec-24, 02:59 AM
Oh, yes, And AC/DC. My dark side.

The first tape I bought with my own money was Highway to Hell. I was 10, and my parents were really shocked :lol:
(until then, my favorites had been Abba and The Beatles)

DippyHippy
2009-Dec-28, 11:12 PM
First tape I bought was (I think) the soundtrack to E.T. LOL - but then I was only 11 at the time. It's actually quite a good OST, but a little repetitive.

Arneb
2009-Dec-28, 11:17 PM
First tape I bought was (I think) the soundtrack to E.T. LOL - but then I was only 11 at the time. It's actually quite a good OST, but a little repetitive.

We must be about the same age. I was a total E.T. fan back then. When I digitized all my old records earlier this year, I was brought to this by the that the E-T- soundtrack was worn down to the point of unplayability. Oh yes, there is a solo flute below the rumbling. Nice instruments you have there.

rommel543
2009-Dec-29, 04:34 PM
I can't remember my first cassette that I got. I remember my first record that I got though, Hits 83. My first CD that I bought was Megadeth, Peace Sells.

DippyHippy
2009-Dec-29, 06:51 PM
My first CD was "Themes" by Vangelis. I bought it at the same time I bought the CD player. Can't think of a better album available at the time (1989) to show off the sound quality. Besides which, it was the only album (at the time) which had the real music from Blade Runner on it LOL

KaiYeves
2009-Dec-29, 06:53 PM
I don't remember what my first CD was. I bought a Walkman when I was nine, but I think I only listened to CDs my family already owned.

danscope
2009-Dec-30, 05:13 AM
I just recieved a cd of the sound track music from " Waking ned divine " .
It's a winner. Nice to hear the music full length.

redshifter
2009-Dec-30, 05:25 AM
The first tape I bought with my own money was Highway to Hell. I was 10, and my parents were really shocked :lol:
(until then, my favorites had been Abba and The Beatles)

My first 'real' LP was KISS-Alive! My poor parents...

SkepticJ
2009-Dec-30, 05:53 AM
The Smashing Pumpkins
The Who
Origa
Depeche Mode
Lordi
Abney Park
Blaqk Audio
Flogging Molly
Daft Punk
Soundgarden
Stone Temple Pilots
The Beatles

I can't really find a pattern to it. I just know it when I hear it.

DonM435
2009-Dec-31, 12:25 AM
Given what's commonly broadcast, I usually opt for silence.

kleindoofy
2009-Dec-31, 12:32 AM
The Smashing Pumpkins
The Who, Origa, Depeche Mode, Lordi, Abney Park, Blaqk Audio, Flogging Molly, Daft Punk, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, The Beatles

I can't really find a pattern to it. I just know it when I hear it.
I think the pattern is quite obvious.

Look at it this way: Pat Boone, John Tesh, Perry Como, The Osmonds, Dolly Parton, Burt Bacharach, etc. are missing on your list.

See what I mean?

captain swoop
2009-Dec-31, 12:59 AM
It changes from day to day. At the moment I am having a bit ofa '2 Tone ' revival. 15 hole DM boots, Turned up jeans, Fred Perry Shirts and Flat Tops.
Old records by Selector (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTGemShG6Q0&feature=fvw). Specials (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxHcx7FO8nI&feature=PlayList&p=77422642D4A713AF&index=0&playnext=1), The Beat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0zBXpWMJOY&feature=related) and of course Madness.
All together now
Baggy trousers, Baggy Trousers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJOLwy7un3U&feature=related)
One Step beyond. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-uyWAe0NhQ)

captain swoop
2009-Dec-31, 01:06 AM
And by Extension
The Jam
In the City (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivm0inFdJL8&feature=related)
Down in the Tubestation at Midnight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORIrykrszXU&feature=PlayList&p=63165D783517E261&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=47)

OK just Jammy Goodness from the Old grey Whistle test nineteen seventy eight or nine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc2ZIQ-xp7o&feature=related)

If nothing else everyone has to watch this video, See where all your Post Punk guitar bands got the idea

danscope
2010-Jan-02, 05:50 AM
My Wife and I were just listening to the Bangles doing
" Walk like an Egyptian " on radio bobin down the highway towards home.:)