PDA

View Full Version : Why does this forum seem so up tight?

garygo
2009-Dec-20, 01:05 PM
Just arrived - but can't miss all the warning sign's.

Is this forum basically

"talk about what we allow you to talk about or you get banned"?

Why is there so much reference to such subject matter?

Andrew D
2009-Dec-20, 01:46 PM
Because most of the people on the forum (not including myself here...) actually know what they're talking about, and in order to preserve and promote true scientific discussion, they have to prohibit discussion of things like religion, philosophy, and ideas that aren't supported by observable evidence.

But don't let that deter you. Most members are very helpful and willing to try to help you understand the most complex ideas in (and about) the universe.

Arneb
2009-Dec-20, 01:58 PM
I should add that in the Off-Topic section pretty much every subject except sex, politics and religion is allowed.

Also, bad manners aren't tolerated, but up tight isn't the word I'd use for that attitude.

MarkB
2009-Dec-20, 02:01 PM
Hi Garygo and welcome to BAUT.

If you want a bit more "rough and tumble" in your posts you might want to try the JREF forums. Similar subjects but less restrictions.

2009-Dec-20, 02:25 PM
Welcome to BAUT Forum.

Why does this forum seem so up tight?

To you.

I think you're the one who can answer that best. I don't know why it seems up tight to you.

antoniseb
2009-Dec-20, 02:56 PM
... Is this forum basically

"talk about what we allow you to talk about or you get banned"?

Why is there so much reference to such subject matter?

If you start by reading the section where people can express their concerns about the forum, you will find posts by people who have concerns. Some people want to talk about religion and politics, which we don't allow. Some people want to promote pet ideas over-and-over, even after they've been debunked, which we don't allow. Some people want to express themselves with cuss-words, which we don't allow. We do allow these people to voice their complaints.

Do you want to discuss astronomy and/or spaceflight? This might be your place.

Messier Tidy Upper
2009-Dec-20, 03:14 PM
I should add that in the Off-Topic section pretty much every subject except sex, politics and religion is allowed.

Also, bad manners aren't tolerated, but up tight isn't the word I'd use for that attitude.

Sex, politics and religion are all pretty big areas and major topics of conversation with many people. Cutting these out does strike me as bit on the restrictive side &, personally, I've thought that for ages.

I think it may be nice if these was a separate area here within the BAUT where those three big aspects of life could be discussed.

However, I do accept that that's the rules for here as they stand & abide by them. There are a lot of other forums and sites where those three aspects - sex, relig & politics can be discussed so its not like we're really missing out on discussing them too much. Plus having a "haven" where you know these topics (probably!) won't come up is also kinda nice at times too. Sometimes frustrating too at other times but.

TJMac
2009-Dec-20, 03:33 PM
I am not sure exactly what the OP means by subject matter.

If it's as others have suggested, politics and religion, then I would say it's obvious why those are not allowed here. I have never seen a forum manage to stay civil while discussing those subjects. Tempers flare, and what should be discussion of ideas turns into personal attacks.

Its like any other forum. The owner has rules, and you abide by them, or go find another place that allows the things you would rather do.

That said, automatically dismissing this forum for that reason will cause you to miss out on some very good scientific discussions by people who know what they speak of.

TJ

antoniseb
2009-Dec-20, 03:52 PM
... "talk about what we allow you to talk about or you get banned"? ...

Ah, I see from your self-introduction that you are a Moon-Landing Skeptic. You have, I assume, been in touch with people who were banned here.

Generally, if you have specific evidence that the Moon landings were a hoax, THAT can be discussed here, though if you have a new reason for doubting it at this point, we will be surprised. If you have old reasons, some members here have debunked them. If you just want to express vague doubt, your reception here will seem kind of pushy, asking you to give reasons for the doubt, and defend them.

A lot of Hoax-Believers really don't like having to defend with facts, and lose their tempers as a response. Hence the bannings. If you can stay within the rules, you can keep posting. The rules motivate getting to the point, and resolving arguments.

tusenfem
2009-Dec-20, 06:13 PM
Seems like you are rather active attacking boards that give hoax believers a hard time, by e.g. facts.

like*here (http://apollohoax.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=theories&action=display&thread=709&page=15#76221) for example. It is maybe not a good idea to come in "insultung the board in general" and then ask "how do I post a new thread."

But, please post your evidence that it was all a hoax. Let's see if you have something new.

garygo
2009-Dec-20, 10:29 PM
Well hello there again .

I was away doing a bit of hill walking and then I fell asleep.
Now I know how Snow white felt when she woke surrounded by those….guys.

Same quant little generalized digs (aka baseless assertions) – none juicy enough to bite though…. Not yet.

Anyway were woz I?

Oh yes! – Is this Forum wrapped too tight?
Are people not allowed to make fools of them selves?
Are people not allowed to talk crap if they want to?
What’s the big deal? I post regularly on other sites News sites, Trade forums etc… lots of times I’m ranting on something I want to off my chest and some dude dumps a clip of Pete Townsend and Keith Moon wrecking their gear on stage. – nothing to do with nothing….It ****es me off! But would I like to see the guy banned for it ? Of course not!

If a thread is boring or annoying it could be sidelined into a quiet area or even locked like is normally the case in other forums I visit.

I have witnessed Nazi’s ranting on a site were the Jewish administrator gave him enough time to state his case before locking it… people can go and look to see how much of a [EXPLETIVE DELETED BY MODERATOR] the guy was!.... that’s real life Ok you will get the odd nutter looking at it and giving it Heil Hitler but and virtual world should be as real as possible…. I am totally against censorship and its pretty obvious - if you censor the comments on this site Skeptics are going to say….

You are guarding the moon walking hoax

Then there’s this “we know what we’re talking about” angle???

Why not make this forum exclusive to Post grades of Astro-Physics and Applied
Math’s ?

Most Scientists I know… And I know a fair few - but nearly every Scientist I know lack one thing in particular and that is quite simply perception and I personally I would rank a scientists opinion way down the list - in relation to ascertaining something being a hoax or not.

garygo
2009-Dec-20, 10:34 PM
hehehe!!!!!!! Uptight indeed!! hehe!!!

Posted some and got a message it needed the moderators approval???

hehehehe!!

this place is hilarious

No further questions your Honor

kleindoofy
2009-Dec-20, 10:46 PM
... they have to prohibit discussion of things like ... philosophy, ...
Huh? Since when is philosophy out of bounds on BAUT?

Religion and politics aren't allowed simply because both lead to flame wars within minutes, if not seconds. This is very common on internet forums, not just BAUT.

Sex is a no-no because the mods want the site to be acceptable for school teachers who have swallowed their puritan ethics whole without chewing.

Discussions in support of excessive consumption of alcohol and glorification of violence are, however, ostensibly acceptable.

Tinaa
2009-Dec-20, 10:52 PM
Huh? Since when is philosophy out of bounds on BAUT?

Sex is a no-no because the mods want the site to be acceptable for school teachers who have swallowed their puritan ethics whole without chewing.

Not true. We want BAUT to accessible to students at school.

Why in the world would you want to discuss sex on an astronomy site? There are plenty of sites to visit if that's your desire.

kleindoofy
2009-Dec-20, 10:58 PM
... Why in the world would you want to discuss sex on an astronomy site? There are plenty of sites to visit if that's your desire.
Huh? Did I say I wanted to discuss sex here? Please re-read what I wrote. No assumptions, please.

Not true. We want BAUT to accessible to students at school. ...
Yes, and that is decided upon by their teachers, as has been stated on BAUT by admins and mods in the past.

Tensor
2009-Dec-20, 11:05 PM

hehehehe!!

this place is hilarious

You're the one that is hilarious. You've obviously not read the rules. Especially noting the section where new posters, who post links, need moderator approval on those posts. And the reason that approval is needed (It's an antispam technique). If you had bothered to read the rules, your would have known that you can PM a moderator to get the post cleared.

Probably no further questions on your part. Of course I'm quite sure you will continue to make remarks (like the ones above) that make you look silly and foolish, until you actually bother to read the rules.

Garrison
2009-Dec-20, 11:06 PM

hehehehe!!

this place is hilarious

If you include links in your posts then while you're a newbie they get doublechecked to make sure they aren't spamming. After a few posts you'll be 'established' and find that stops. No grand conspiracy, sorry.

captain swoop
2009-Dec-20, 11:08 PM

If you include a link in a post it will be held for moderation as an anti Spam measure. After you have posted a modest number of times your posts will come through without being held up.

Otherworldly
2009-Dec-20, 11:52 PM
Because most of the people on the forum (not including myself here...) actually know what they're talking about

I can agree with that to a point, that there are many people (I don't know if I would say "most") who know what they're talking about when they're talking about astronomy, mathematics, physics, engineering, and the like. Unfortunately, though, some of those same people don't know when to stop talking, and spread a great deal of disinformation on other topics :(

grant hutchison
2009-Dec-21, 12:01 AM
Unfortunately, though, some of those same people don't know when to stop talking, and spread a great deal of disinformation on other topics :("Disinformation" is a strong charge, since it implies that these folk are deliberately lying in order to deceive. Do you mean "misinformation"? Have you tried to correct their errors/lies?

Grant Hutchison

LaurelHS
2009-Dec-21, 12:02 AM
You are guarding the moon walking hoax

Okay, what evidence do you have that Apollo was a hoax? People are waiting.

Kaptain K
2009-Dec-21, 12:20 AM

And I, for one will be totally surprised if it is something we haven't seen (and debunked)!

ToSeek
2009-Dec-21, 12:20 AM

Yes, it would be nice if you'd contribute some actual content to this forum rather than just complaining about how we do things.

Chuck
2009-Dec-21, 01:23 AM
Didn't we have a sex in free fall thread here a long time ago? I'm pretty sure it was in this forum. Maybe in Bad Astronomy before the merger, though.

garygo
2009-Dec-21, 01:27 AM
Hate to admit being wrong but all 3 of them were right and I was 100% wrong.

This forum is the most absurd I have had the misfortune to waste my time on!!

I mean its quite bizarre ? I have been on Palestinian forums with Jews and Arabs threatening to kill one another and they don't have this draconian nonsense?

I was actually looking forward to meeting Phantam Wolf again - but thats not going to happen here - Phantam Wolf(or fanta wilf as he became affectionately known) disappeared when he had used up his Party piece's
Plus the people he was posting too weren't your usual sheep and just knew he couldn't prove jack -that he didnt have any meat in his sandwich
But fair play to him for sticking it out as long as he did and I kinna like him and grudgingly respect him for that(even though he hates me)

But thats pretty much the whole with the moon hoax

There is no meat in the savage

There is no proof we landed on the moon - only a lot of nervous gatekeepers who know that as time ticks by their positions are becoming more and more absurd and the absurdity of this Forum Mirrors nicely the absurd Hoax which it was clearly created to protect. To protect people from knowing that there's nothing there - while of course pretending its some how up to Skeptics to prove we never walked on the moon.

If we had walked on the moon in 69 the evidence would be everywhere - it would be overwhelming - if the Elephant was/is in the room how come no one can touch it or even smell it - just crappy little stories which are supposed to impress and disarm. Here lets watch a Dumbo dvd in Black and white

Sorry People but specifically regarding this forum - this whole thing is absurd!! And the variables which motivated me to post here earlier today no longer apply.

If you genuinely can't see how absurd this forum is then I genuinely feel sorry for you.

Like the fit girl who just says too much and just takes far too long to undress

Its just not gonna happen - Count me out

PS - no matter how you try to muzzle free speech while protecting your Apollo myth I ultimately control were I post

.and this was my last here

Good day and no hard feelings to you yall..

gg

tdvance
2009-Dec-21, 01:31 AM
Well, having been on the internet during "the fall of Usenet"-- I can say there's a good reason for rules, prohibited topics, bannings, etc. Pure anarchy worked on Usenet at first, when there was only a select few calling each other "Nazi", but just like with cars, once everyone learned to drive, people began locking their to keep thieves out, and the forums that are most popular are the ones with a moderate amount of moderation to keep them from turning into Usenet II.

Veeger
2009-Dec-21, 01:34 AM
buh-bye, garygo.

kleindoofy
2009-Dec-21, 01:36 AM
.and this was my last here ...
What a shame.

We'll have to do without such eloquence.

The Backroad Astronomer
2009-Dec-21, 01:43 AM
garygo seems to be a lot of sound and fury and no meat on his sandwich.

Jason_Roberts
2009-Dec-21, 01:48 AM
Have you folks ever been trolled before?

Note the avatar the OP is using.

kleindoofy
2009-Dec-21, 01:56 AM
Have you folks ever been trolled before? ...
As had been demonstrated in the past, the problem with calling "troll" is that the mods intercede with the argument that they alone are capable of recognizing a troll. Normal users risk a warning for having the audacity to assume that they too can reach that conclusion. Just report and be ignored.

peter eldergill
2009-Dec-21, 01:56 AM

Discussions in support of excessive consumption of alcohol and glorification of violence are, however, ostensibly acceptable.

Hmmm...sorry mate, but as a schoolteacher myself, I find this statement quite a bit offensive.

I can assure you, I don't have "puritan ethics" in the slightest but I certainly don't want to send any of my students to my favorite website and have them find a discussion about sex. It may be a cultural taboo, but too bad for you.

Pete

clop
2009-Dec-21, 02:01 AM
Maybe you should change your name to garygone.

clop

ToSeek
2009-Dec-21, 02:09 AM
OP banned, thread closed.

pzkpfw
2009-Dec-21, 05:00 AM
Just report and be ignored.

Though the thread is closed I think it's worth noting for any members reading, that such reports are most definitely not ignored.

Many socks, trolls and other have been actioned on the report by a member. And thanks to those members!

But if no action is taken (or it appears that no action is taken), it's perhaps because the mods either dissagree or are giving the sock/troll/whatever more rope to hang themselves with.

(Side point: we seem to get criticised both for banning too soon, and too late.)

Either way, the basic rule is always: report something bad, suspicious or whatever - please don't discuss it in-thread. That is off topic.