PDA

View Full Version : what's new in the book?

Another Phobos
2002-Apr-10, 03:22 PM
Hi everyone,
I nearly bought the book this weekend, but when I flipped through it, it seemed to have a lot of stuff that we're all familiar with from this website.

Phil, (or anyone), what's new in the book for us regular visitors of the B.A. website? C'mon convince me to buy it! I certainly would like to support B.A., but my reading list is already out of hand and I wouldn't want to buy a book and not read it.

thanks

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Apr-10, 03:49 PM
Let me see...you want us to tell you what is in it, to see if you have to buy it to read it...

Sneaky.

Silas
2002-Apr-10, 03:54 PM
Well, let's see (puts on his best Joe Isuzu voice...)

There's the chapter of Vogon Poetry... And the photos of Moon Valley, where the telepathic Moon Maid lives under the waterfalls...and the plans for the Magnetic Space Coupe...and the chapter on naughty constellations...

Hey, it looks good on your bookshelf, even if you never actually read it, so, like, buy it, okay?

Silas

Another Phobos
2002-Apr-10, 06:40 PM
ok, ok, I get the point. Never mind. I'll check it out myself. I was only asking how much of it was new material. Sheesh.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Another Phobos on 2002-04-10 14:45 ]</font>

johnwitts
2002-Apr-10, 07:36 PM
The BA's put a lot of time and effort into this site and his book (with a little help from us 'weirdos'), so put your hand in your pocket and get with the folding stuff. One can never have too many books, and this one is well worth having, even if it is just to lend to friends to show them what you get up to with that fancy internet thing of yours.
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Simon
2002-Apr-11, 07:21 AM
A fair bit of it mirrors stuff on the site, but goes in to more depth on it. There ARE parts that are entirely new.

Plus, it's really cool to show to your friends. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Another Phobos
2002-Apr-11, 12:20 PM
Thanks, that helps. I always look forward to new stuff from the B.A.

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Apr-11, 12:39 PM
Seriously, Another Phobos, that's a hard question to answer. Just look at the discussions in this forum about the book, surprises some of them. Had all of the book been previously posted to the website, it might have changed its final appearance in the book, after all the discussions, anyway.

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Apr-11, 02:36 PM
Well, thanks for all the support folks, but he asked an honest questions.

There are several chapters that are also on the site, including why the sky is blue, the Moon hoax, etc. These chapters have more in-depth analysis, though. Also, there are lots of new topics not on the site, like seeing stars in the day (my favorite chapter, I think), UFOs, astrology, creationism and more. Thumbing through the book, I think you'll see there's lots of new stuff.

ljbrs
2002-Apr-14, 06:09 PM
I just ordered six *Bad Astronomy* books to distribute to a few of my best friends in my (wonderful) astronomy group. The rest of the folks in the club can buy them for themselves.

I know a number of people who worked, in one capacity or another, on the full Apollo Program, and I am positive that the Apollo program happened (on the Moon). I am not much interested in people who created the attacks made upon the Apollo program. There are always going to be people who think that various activities have been fabricated. They are the same kinds of people who think that the Atlantis legend was historical rather than fictional and that there is something special about the Bermuda Triangle (other than the fact that the Bermuda Triangle is heavily traveled and is bound to have more accidents, etc., occurring regularly). Nobody can ever please them. They seem to be continuously focused upon *conspiracies*.

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ljbrs on 2002-04-14 14:13 ]</font>

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Apr-14, 07:08 PM
On 2002-04-14 14:09, ljbrs wrote:
I just ordered six *Bad Astronomy* books to distribute to a few of my best friends in my (wonderful) astronomy group.

LJBRS, you are too much. Thanks.

Okay folks, the bar has now been set. How many copies have the rest of you bought? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

johnwitts
2002-Apr-14, 07:29 PM
I borrowed mine from the library, and forgot to take it back.

Only Joking. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Nanoda
2002-Apr-15, 05:23 AM
I claim a student exemption for not purchasing one myself yet, but it appears I have managed to convince the Edmonton Public Library (http://www.epl.ca/) to purchase a copy, which will get readers if not $$$. (Sorry! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I just mentioned how novel a book it was, and how it might offset the (fortunately small) paranormal/alien visitation/psychic section they seem for some reason to have. I hope it ends up in that section somehow; people searching for it will still find it, and people who aren't may pick it up along with a more X-Files influenced volume. Along with the James Randi books there, I think this city is a little better off.

Of course, if you were to give a talk at the University of Alberta, I guess I'd have to get a copy for myself. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Another Phobos
2002-Apr-16, 07:46 PM
GrapesOfWrath - Understood.
B.A. - Thanks
I'll definitely check it out again.

ljbrs
2002-Apr-17, 12:48 AM
Right now, I am reading Bad Astronomy a second time -- very, very slowly, so as not to miss anything. There are a lot of subtle things which can slip by if you are not careful.

Dr. Bad Astronomer Phil has filled in many details which you would never find in any of the other books on similar subjects in astronomy. He handles everything!

I also took the book to my Skeptics Club for them to see. They seemed to be very interested, too. It is a great book for many different types of people (not only in astronomy). This coming Friday and Saturday nights will bring me to other people where I will show off the book to them. I have a lot of interests and very interesting friends.

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif