PDA

View Full Version : My TV is burned!

Glom
2009-Dec-29, 05:46 PM
And it's all Confused Matthew's fault! I innocently left the TV on his page yesterday and now there's a fuzzy black line running up the screen adjacent to where the right edge of the videos and the unreadable ghost of whatever text was being displayed on it while I was out at the cinema.

I didn't think LCDs got burn.

Musashi
2009-Dec-29, 05:48 PM
It is called Image Persistence and it is hardly ever permanent.

http://compreviews.about.com/od/monitors/a/LCDBurnIn.htm

Fazor
2009-Dec-29, 07:26 PM
I thought my tv was burned. I mean, it *was*. I shut the cable box off last night before I turned the TV off, and the resulting "black screen" showed a ghost of the tv-guide menu. I'm pretty sure Plasmas burn, but it was only on that screen for maybe five minutes. I don't think it's permanent, but it concerned me when I first saw it.

darkhunter
2009-Dec-29, 08:47 PM
IIRC (I'm currently a few thousand miles from my TV's owner's manual :() the "cure" for burn-in is to put the TV on a show with lots of bright colors and movement.

Fazor
2009-Dec-29, 09:06 PM
IIRC (I'm currently a few thousand miles from my TV's owner's manual :() the "cure" for burn-in is to put the TV on a show with lots of bright colors and movement.

Earlier today I was double checking that burn-in was indeed a worry with Plasma (it is, but not as bad as the first generation plasmas). The article mentioned that "snow" was good for clearing it (the static pattern one gets when tuned to no particular channel).

Though everything I have is digital now. If I tune to a channel that doesn't work, I just get a blue screen. Or black. I can't remember which.

Donnie B.
2009-Dec-30, 02:54 AM
Aha! A product idea: DVDs of video snow, marketed to plasma owners for burn therapy.

Glom
2009-Dec-30, 07:52 AM

Ahh, WALL-E it is!

DippyHippy
2009-Dec-30, 06:46 PM
Or any cartoon, I would think :) You'd probably get more movement that way.

Actually, the Simpsons would probably be a good bet :)