PDA

View Full Version : Moon Halo Last Night

ShadowSot
2009-Dec-30, 01:59 PM
Last night here in Florida there was a spectacular moon halo, saw it while walking my girlfriend up the steps.
If someone had the ability to take pics, I hope you did.
My camera's busted, passed on two, three nights ago, and my camera phone just doesn't cut it.

megrfl
2009-Dec-30, 03:09 PM
I didn't notice, but did you lasso it for her? That would have been very romantic. :)

ShadowSot
2009-Dec-30, 04:15 PM
I didn't notice, but did you lasso it for her? That would have been very romantic. :)

Well, I tried, but I couldn't toss the tow rop up high enough. :)

megrfl
2009-Dec-30, 04:45 PM
Just for future reference, use your invisible rope, it's much lighter and longer.

Swift
2009-Dec-30, 04:53 PM
If someone had the ability to take pics, I hope you did.

Not to downplay your moon halo spotting (I really like halos, sundogs, and similar), but they are not that uncommon. I probably see several moon halos a year. I also suspect they are pretty local, and so someone in another part of state might not see it.

This is a great website (http://www.atoptics.co.uk/halo/parhelia.htm) for pictures and information about sun dogs, halos, rainbows, and similar types of things.

ShadowSot
2009-Dec-30, 06:13 PM
Not to downplay your moon halo spotting (I really like halos, sundogs, and similar), but they are not that uncommon. I probably see several moon halos a year. I also suspect they are pretty local, and so someone in another part of state might not see it.

What was most striking about it was the size, I'm used to seeing them with a fair amount of regularity, but this one was the biggest I can think of, also was special as my girlfriend had never seen one before. And yes, I know it was fairly local, but I thought it was worth seeing if anyone else had seen it. It's a large forum, might be one or two other folks from my neck of the woods here.

Fazor
2009-Dec-30, 09:45 PM
Swift is such a scrooge! Actually I had about the exact same experience a couple weeks ago (there's a post somewhere on BAUT, in the Astronomical Observing and Equip. section). I've seen them before, though never really paid attention. The g/f had not. She doesn't get into that stuff much anyway . . . all I got from her was a quick glance and a "that's neat."

And I thought the one I saw was particularly large also. I had to do some digging, and found that they're normally all about the same size (23-degrees? Can't recall off the top of my head) but that under rarer conditions, they can be much larger. So if you did see one of those, it is more of an unusual occurrence. Take that, Swift! (just kidding . . . don't know how rare those really are, beyond 'rarer than typical').