PDA

View Full Version : Science when is the inch a relativistic phenomenon?

AndreasJ
2009-Dec-30, 03:56 PM
As everyone who's ever had the misfortune to go shopping for clothes is presumably aware, clothing size indication is an inexact science at best.

Had a particularly bad case today: bought two pairs of jeans, each of with fits me well enough - the one is allegedly W 32 L 40, the other W 29, L 34.

(29" is smaller than my actual waist circumference, so heavens know what they're measuring.)

Anyone else got some egregious examples to share?

ocasey3
2009-Dec-30, 04:00 PM
Women's clothes sizes are the worst. A 10 for one designer is a 12 or an 8 for another. So, some will shop at the places that have the lowest size number.

kleindoofy
2009-Dec-30, 04:05 PM
Yes. The small children in China and India who sew those products certainly should be better educated about inches and centimeters.

AndreasJ
2009-Dec-30, 04:21 PM
Yes. The small children in China and India who sew those products certainly should be better educated about inches and centimeters.

It's not the people sewing them that decide how large they'll be or what size they'll be marked as.

hhEb09'1
2009-Dec-30, 04:38 PM
As everyone who's ever had the misfortune to go shopping for clothes is presumably aware, clothing size indication is an inexact science at best.

Had a particularly bad case today: bought two pairs of jeans, each of with fits me well enough - the one is allegedly W 32 L 40, the other W 29, L 34.

(29" is smaller than my actual waist circumference, so heavens know what they're measuring.)

Anyone else got some egregious examples to share?Why don't you measure them, and report back? :)

And then wash them a few times, and measure again. Sometimes that is an issue.

ETA: here is the link (http://www.yougotrickrolled.com/) for the Standards and Weights division of BAUT.

Larry Jacks
2009-Dec-30, 05:04 PM
Women's clothes sizes are the worst. A 10 for one designer is a 12 or an 8 for another. So, some will shop at the places that have the lowest size number.

I've often wondered about women's clothing sizes. When they say it's a "size 8", what are they measuring? At least with mens pants, we have a pretty good idea what our waist size (sigh) and inseam measurement is. There is variation in the individual fit so trying them on is still necessary but it's less of a hassle than what my wife has to go through. She's a petite woman, so she either has to go for age-inapproprate girl's clothing or try to find petite clothes she likes. Standard women's sizes are hard to fit on her.

AndreasJ
2009-Dec-30, 05:25 PM
Why don't you measure them, and report back? :)

For the allegedly W 29 L 34 ones I get waist circumference 32", inseam length 34".

For the allegedly W 32 L 40 ones I get respectively 33" and 34".

JustAFriend
2009-Dec-30, 05:44 PM
Well, I worked for Levi Strauss for a short time and lets just say in the 3rd-world factorys the measuring tools are often copies of copies of copies of a stick....

hhEb09'1
2009-Dec-30, 05:52 PM
For the allegedly W 29 L 34 ones I get waist circumference 32", inseam length 34".

For the allegedly W 32 L 40 ones I get respectively 33" and 34".I guess that explains the fit then :)

Had a particularly bad case today: bought two pairs of jeans, each of with fits me well enough - I doubt the second pair is going to lengthen in the wash, but still in couple weeks maybe we should follow up... :)

AndreasJ
2009-Dec-30, 06:02 PM
Well, I worked for Levi Strauss for a short time and lets just say in the 3rd-world factorys the measuring tools are often copies of copies of copies of a stick....

One might then expect one'd run into occasional cases when clothes of nominal size X are larger than those of nominal size X+1. Can't recall encountering that - has anyone?

Cougar
2009-Dec-30, 08:33 PM
...the one is allegedly W 32 L 40...

W32 L40?? What are you, a stick? A tall stick? I'm 6 ft, and L32 is usually about right. Extrapolating, that puts you at 7 ft 6 in. What basketball team did you say you played for?

AndreasJ
2009-Dec-30, 08:39 PM
I suppose you're joking, but for the record I'm 1.87 m (~6'2") tall.

hhEb09'1
2009-Dec-30, 09:23 PM
W32 L40?? What are you, a stick?We do have evidence that that should actually be W32 L34 here, maybe W33 :)

mike alexander
2009-Dec-30, 09:40 PM
It's not just new clothes. I have pants several years old that fit perfectly then but are much smaller now.

swampyankee
2009-Dec-31, 01:41 AM

I've often wondered about women's clothing sizes. When they say it's a "size 8", what are they measuring? At least with mens pants, we have a pretty good idea what our waist size (sigh) and inseam measurement is. There is variation in the individual fit so trying them on is still necessary but it's less of a hassle than what my wife has to go through. She's a petite woman, so she either has to go for age-inapproprate girl's clothing or try to find petite clothes she likes. Standard women's sizes are hard to fit on her.

I remember the comedian Rita Rudner once saying that there was a store which was so expensive, so high-end, that Nell Carter could wear the size 2.

darkhunter
2009-Dec-31, 02:01 AM
6' 2" here, and my jeans are 36 X 36....Any time I try 34" inseams they end up too short--and most places only got up to 34 :(