PDA

View Full Version : World's first concrete rocket

ToSeek
2002-Apr-10, 04:56 PM
From the University of Alabama-Huntsville (http://www.uah.edu/student_life/organizations/ASCE/Competition/2001.htm) (scroll to the bottom)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ToSeek on 2002-04-10 12:57 ]</font>

Jigsaw
2002-Apr-11, 12:31 AM
Dang--the video would take 42 minutes to download with my 56K modem. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Anyway, so they got it UP, but what did it look like when it came back DOWN again? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

[fall down go boom]

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jigsaw on 2002-04-10 20:35 ]</font>

ToSeek
2002-Apr-11, 01:21 PM
On 2002-04-10 20:31, Jigsaw wrote:

Anyway, so they got it UP, but what did it look like when it came back DOWN again? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

[fall down go boom]

I finally managed to download the video (anyone who's ever launched model rockets would find the scene familiar). It seems to land in one piece, though the parachute probably helps a lot.

Valiant Dancer
2002-Apr-11, 02:48 PM
On 2002-04-10 20:31, Jigsaw wrote:
Dang--the video would take 42 minutes to download with my 56K modem. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

[fall down go boom]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jigsaw on 2002-04-10 20:35 ]</font>

Standard model rocket parachute recovery where the nose comes completely off. Not for human use. Possibly one way launches of payloads. (satelites, etc.)

Azpod
2002-Apr-11, 06:01 PM
Cool concept, but something tells me that it wouldn't have the strength/weight ratio of some more conventional materials would.

It's entertaining to see that someone actually built it, tho! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

roidspop
2002-Apr-11, 09:12 PM
I won't live long enough to download the video, but I get the impression they built the airframe from concrete, and the propulsion is delivered by a commercial high-powered model rocket motor. Anybody know for sure?

amstrad
2002-Apr-11, 09:32 PM
DSL is a blessing.

Why did they create a launch video file with sound (when the "comentary" is not useful). Stereo sound no less....

the file could be a third the size it is...

ToSeek
2002-Apr-12, 12:56 PM
On 2002-04-11 17:12, roidspop wrote:
I won't live long enough to download the video, but I get the impression they built the airframe from concrete, and the propulsion is delivered by a commercial high-powered model rocket motor. Anybody know for sure?

It certainly looks like your standard model rocket launch - the stand in particular looks like something you'd get straight from Estes.

ToSeek
2002-Apr-12, 01:03 PM
Here's the home page for the concrete rocket:

Student Launch Initiative (http://www.eng.uah.edu/~sli/)

Interesting stuff, even if the Webmaster Seems To Think That Every Word Should Be Capitalized.

The motor, according to the site, is a HyperTEK Armageddon M - evidently quite a few notches up from the Estes class A, B, and C motors I grew up with.