PDA

View Full Version : Online Scince Fiction writing

KurukshetraCEG
2010-Jan-03, 08:40 AM
WHAT + IF = SCI - FI

How would the world be different with the introduction or expansion of a particular technology (Jules Verne thought about submarines and Captain Nemo long before they were real)? What if humanity encounters aliens (I don't have to tell you but just in case it doesn't strike. How about the blue skinned Navi of Pandora!)? What if a particular event in history had turned out differently (say dinos were never wiped out with that collison)? What if a current social issue takes a particular direction (Think euthansia)? Just answer one question WHAT IF?

Science fiction has come a long way since its early days, when Isaac Asimov defined it as "that branch of literature which is concerned with the impact of scientific advance upon human beings". Science fiction is not just concerned with science but with consequences. It asked "what if?" . It's basic premise laid in finding what lay between an idea and reality. No wonder then that Pamela Sargent dubbed it "the literature of ideas."

Fortunately, you don't have to be a "techie," or have a degree in quantum mechanics, to write sci fi. All you need is a different perspective to simple things, perhaps an "alien" perspective.
Are you someone like Larry Niven who used the unicorn myth in The Flight of the Horse or prefer Alan Dean Foster who utilized Navajo sandpaintings in his novel Cyber Way? Do you belong to the plain Asimov cult? Or are you someone who believes in your own power of vivid imagination giving wings to the dreamer in you? Whatever category you may fall we present you the Kurukshetra Online Science Fiction Writing contest.

Are you a people-watcher? Do you pay attention when someone asks, "I wonder what they'd do if...?" Do you tuck weird facts into the back of your mind or study pictures? Collect those seeds, and let them grow in the back of your mind. ...

You've got an idea? Good! Now it's time you sent them over to us!

antoniseb
2010-Jan-03, 12:17 PM
Hi KurukshetraCEG, welcome to the BAUT forum.

You made this post to many sub-forums here. I deleted all but this one. The post itself is problematic for a few reasons. One is that you are a new member posting a link. The second is that it looks like an advertisement for the website in the link.

I'm editing the post to remove the link.

Paul Beardsley
2010-Jan-03, 01:15 PM
Hi KurukshetraCEG, welcome to the BAUT forum.

You made this post to many sub-forums here. I deleted all but this one. The post itself is problematic for a few reasons. One is that you are a new member posting a link. The second is that it looks like an advertisement for the website in the link.

I'm editing the post to remove the link.

I can see how this must be a problem for the mods - on the one hand, it's clearly advertising; on the other, it's advertising something that I think will be of interest to a lot of us.

How would the world be different with the introduction or expansion of a particular technology (Jules Verne thought about submarines and Captain Nemo long before they were real)?
I don't think he did. My understanding is he saw an early prototype and it got him thinking.

Submarines go way back - back to the time of Alexander the Great if you're a little loose with the definition of the word.

collison... It's basic premise laid...
I think it's very important to get your grammar and spelling right if you're advertising something - especially if it's a writing competition. Otherwise you lose credibility.

Do you belong to the plain Asimov cult?
There's an Asimov cult? I suppose that would explain why someone was likened to a creationist for quoting Asimov! :) But yes, I think his approach is ideally suited (but not limited) to the novice SF writer.

Quibbles aside, I largely agree with your philosophy and would like to know more. I hope you hang around to discuss this further - it would be very disappointing if you were merely posting to advertise.

Cougar
2010-Jan-04, 03:03 PM
...Or are you someone who believes in your own power of vivid imagination giving wings to the dreamer in you?

I've found that ideas for books are relatively easy. It's the writing that is hard.