PDA

View Full Version : Geek Love

SkepticJ
2010-Jan-06, 08:49 AM
For the past several months I've been slowly losing my good judgment, sporadically.

An hour ago I was trying to get closer to finishing Cryptonomicon. Then she came into my head again--can't read, can't even enjoy watching educational TV. That's just sick. Thank goodness for the internet, at least this is still available to me in these times.

I'm smitten with a woman, a fellow geek.

I've already asked her out; she didn't say yes, but didn't say no. Don't know if she's shy, or what it is.

closetgeek
2010-Jan-06, 12:17 PM
Awe SkepticJ, you make me flash a goofy smile. Best of luck, I hope she says yes.

Buttercup
2010-Jan-06, 02:32 PM
I don't see anything strange about it. Yeah, good luck; I also hope she says "yes." :)

Fazor
2010-Jan-06, 02:43 PM
Forget it! Just run! Women are nothing but trouble!!! Err.. sorry. I meant to say, "good luck"!

I certainly don't miss the terror of having to ask women for dates. As you can imagine, "suave" is not a word that's ever been used to describe me.

Nowhere Man
2010-Jan-07, 04:29 AM
Remember, the phrase "You'd make a good father" is to men and relationships as "Ready, set, GO" is to a runner and the starting blocks.

Just kidding, mostly.

Fred

kleindoofy
2010-Jan-07, 04:50 AM
Shouldn't that be "geek luv"? ;)

http://i47.tinypic.com/2ezr0xx.jpg

GalaxyGal
2010-Jan-07, 12:31 PM
SkepticJ

Hope this works out for you. It brings back memories.

My hubby asked me out for > year before I said 'yes'. I was shy & nervous about dating someone I worked with. We've been happily married for 28 years.

Ilya
2010-Jan-07, 04:24 PM
I am fairly sure I never asked anyone out in person (at least, not successfully). Every relationship I ever had started either online, or along the lines of "the party is winding down, and this bed looks good".

Fazor
2010-Jan-07, 04:28 PM
"the party is winding down, and this bed looks good".

Now there's a damn good line. Why didn't I ever think of that? You know, when I was single and still went to parties, that is.

Ilya
2010-Jan-07, 04:34 PM
Now there's a damn good line. Why didn't I ever think of that? You know, when I was single and still went to parties, that is.
Oh, it was not an literal line -- just a concise description of the events. :)

Fazor
2010-Jan-07, 04:40 PM
Oh, it was not an literal line -- just a concise description of the events. :)

As suave as I am not, I know what you mean. :) But I still think it makes a darn good literal line, so long as you don't honestly expect it to work.

SeanF
2010-Jan-07, 04:40 PM
For Pete's sake, Kleindoofy, are you trying to get me to get myself banned?!

BigDon
2010-Jan-07, 04:52 PM
Hmmm, I remember meeting Boo's mother.

I was in a dance bar I seldom frequent because I was trying hard to talk a friend out of relapsing back to cocaine after being clean for a few months. (That time rehab didn't take, but it eventually did. He's been clean for years now.)

As a sane man can only take junkie logic for so long before frustration builds I excused myself from the table by telling my friend, "I'm going to go dance with that little Mexican girl over there, sit here and think about things."

Now I wasn't sure this was going to fly initially as she was dancing with a large female troll wearing denim. Now of course this could have been for one of two reasons, but I dived in and asked her to dance, presuming it was merely a lack of male dance partners and scored a big WIN! that I got a lovely wedding and two beautiful daughters out of. (No balls, no bluechips as they say around here.)

As it turned out, she was of "good Illinois farm stock" and had a Basque father. (And she was a seriously petite four foot ten. Still is actually.)

Larry Jacks
2010-Jan-07, 04:59 PM
Just be careful. Back in the late 1980s, I was stationed with a guy we called (after his initials) "the ADF Mark I". He was an electrical engineer who was a total geek and klutz*. He married his college sweetheart who was as big a geek/klutz as him. A couple years later, they had a son. One can only imagine the genetic possibilities of geek/klutz squared. That boy would be about 21 now. I sometimes wonder how he turned out but I'm afraid to find out.

*You know how they tell you not to run with sissors? He actually managed to stab himself with a pair of sissors while walking. I mean, he stabbed himself badly enough to collapse a lung. These weren't any ordinary sissors, either, but a pair that was about a foot long with a very sharp point. Without telling anyone, he left the operations center and went down to the clinic. By the time he got there, the effects were really starting to get to him. Someone saw him, all woosey and bleeding, and asked him what happened. He said, "I've been stabbed."

Needless to say, the local sheriff came out (this was a highly secure military base) and there was all sorts of fuss until they realized that he'd stabbed himself.

BigDon
2010-Jan-07, 05:23 PM
Shouldn't that be "geek luv"? ;)

http://i47.tinypic.com/2ezr0xx.jpg

Wait a minute....

http://www.demotivateus.com/tag/hope/

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Jan-07, 05:31 PM
For Pete's sake, Kleindoofy, are you trying to get me to get myself banned?!
Kleindoofy knows how to bait a trap doesn't she?
(Sean I am the same boat.)

Ilya
2010-Jan-07, 06:10 PM
Wait a minute....

http://www.demotivateus.com/tag/hope/
Is that the same woman on both photographs?

BigDon
2010-Jan-07, 06:11 PM
That's what I'm wanting to find out.

SeanF
2010-Jan-07, 07:08 PM
The woman on the Hope poster seems to have bigger dimples (I said dimples) than the woman in Kleindoofy's post.

I could be wrong, though - could just be the lighting.

While we're on the subject (kind of), though, who is that in Kleindoofy's avatar? Is that somebody famous?

Fazor
2010-Jan-07, 07:46 PM

We were trained in the Academy (and again in private security) in matching faces. The key, as we were taught, is to ignore features that are easily changed (hair, eyebrows, eye color, etc) and look at the underlying structure: keypoints being brow-ridge, nose bridge and overall shape, lips, cheek bones, etc.)

Not only is it to ignore disguises, but to ignore false-positives, like similar hair styles or whatever.

In my opinion, the nose and eye area are not a match.

That said, I was always awful at it. I mean, to the point where I seriously wonder if I have a mild mental disability when it comes to facial recognition. I sometimes have problems recognizing faces of people I know (albeit, not people I know well). Particularly faces in photographs, when trying to recall someone else from memory.

Almost every time we watch a movie, I say something along the lines of, "Hey Tara, look it's the guy from [whatever] show!", to which she responds, "No, no it's not." ... bah. :)

BigDon
2010-Jan-07, 07:53 PM
Well I wasn't looking for JayUtah-esque analysis, just as a funny comparison apropreitte to the thread.

Fazor
2010-Jan-07, 07:56 PM
Well I wasn't looking for JayUtah-esque analysis, just as a funny comparison apropreitte to the thread.

Well now you tell me! But really I just wanted to rant about my brain's lack of ability to recognize faces. Maybe if I stab it a few more times with a q-tip?

cosmocrazy
2010-Jan-07, 08:01 PM
Kleindoofy knows how to bait a trap doesn't she?
(Sean I am the same boat.)

Yes I had to read it at least 10 or twelve times just to be sure :D

SeanF
2010-Jan-07, 08:05 PM
Yes I had to read it at least 10 or twelve times just to be sure :D
You could read it?!

Fazor
2010-Jan-07, 08:06 PM
You could read it?!

Read what?

cosmocrazy
2010-Jan-07, 08:06 PM
For the past several months I've been slowly losing my good judgment, sporadically.

An hour ago I was trying to get closer to finishing Cryptonomicon. Then she came into my head again--can't read, can't even enjoy watching educational TV. That's just sick. Thank goodness for the internet, at least this is still available to me in these times.

I've already asked her out; she didn't say yes, but didn't say no. Don't know if she's shy, or what it is.

Don't push it, don't be too persistent but make sure she knows you are keen, keep things subtle but most importantly be yourself always! stay friendly with her get to know each other, share your interests. If she is keen on you she will eventually come round to the idea of going out on a date.

What will be will be, but some times it just needs a subtle nudge ;)

cosmocrazy
2010-Jan-07, 08:07 PM
You could read it?!

Yes its sad but its true, things are bad..:D

cosmocrazy
2010-Jan-07, 08:08 PM
Read what?

Fazor.. ;)

kleindoofy
2010-Jan-07, 08:16 PM
Kleindoofy knows how to bait a trap doesn't she? ...
He, not she.

... who is that in Kleindoofy's avatar? Is that somebody famous?
Yes. (http://www.hilaryhahn.com)

The two woman in the above pics don't look the same. Different nose, different, dimples, different arms, different, errr, frontal attributes.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Jan-07, 08:20 PM
That the second person who got the sex wrong on this board this week. I am bad at telling male from female posters.:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

Kwalish Kid
2010-Jan-08, 12:13 AM
Here I hoped that this was a thread about Katherine Dunn's excellent book, Geek Love.

closetgeek
2010-Jan-08, 01:24 PM
That the second person who got the sex wrong on this board this week. I am bad at telling male from female posters.:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

Don't beat yourself up over that one. I, as well, have mistakenly thought Kleindoofy was a woman; a rather beautiful woman :doh:

Ilya
2010-Jan-08, 06:26 PM
Closetgeek, I think you are a dog. :)

Cougar
2010-Jan-08, 08:42 PM
I, as well, have mistakenly thought Kleindoofy was a woman; a rather beautiful woman :doh:

Well, Hilary Hahn is certainly a remarkably beautiful - and talented - woman. Any relation, Kleindoofy?

closetgeek
2010-Jan-08, 08:48 PM
Closetgeek, I think you are a dog. :)

Well where the heck would you get that idea? :doh:

rommel543
2010-Jan-08, 09:18 PM
In my opinion, the nose and eye area are not a match.

The two woman in the above pics don't look the same. Different nose, different, dimples, different arms, different, errr, frontal attributes.

The jaw is different as well. If you follow the line from the chin to the ear you would notice that the girl in the 2nd photo has a more square jaw than the first.

And for the record, I could read the shirt....after I stopped staring.:naughty:

rommel543
2010-Jan-08, 09:20 PM
Don't beat yourself up over that one. I, as well, have mistakenly thought Kleindoofy was a woman; a rather beautiful woman :doh:

:eh: guilty here as well.

SeanF
2010-Jan-08, 09:23 PM
Based on avatars, I wonder how you all picture me... :whistle:

Fazor
2010-Jan-08, 09:37 PM
Based on avatars, I wonder how you all picture me... :whistle:

Wait, so you're not a baby Mr T? Tell me that you at least pitty the fool!

SeanF
2010-Jan-08, 10:12 PM
Wait, so you're not a baby Mr T?
Not any more. :)

Tell me that you at least pity the fool!
I don't wanna hear no jibber-jabber, neither!

kleindoofy
2010-Jan-09, 02:19 AM
Well, Hilary Hahn is certainly a remarkably beautiful - and talented - woman. Any relation, Kleindoofy?
I wish.

You know, in that "special cousin" kind of way. ;)

ciderman
2010-Jan-09, 01:55 PM
Worryingly, that attractive young lady in the highly legible T-shirt looks a little like my cousin!

cosmocrazy
2010-Jan-10, 01:13 PM
Worryingly, that attractive young lady in the highly legible T-shirt looks a little like my cousin!

Is she single and live in the UK? :D

Seeka
2010-Jan-10, 01:28 PM
Best of luck SkepticJ.

Just go for it- you have nothing to lose:)

SkepticJ
2010-Mar-01, 11:25 PM
So, I asked her out, and. . . nothing.

Oh well.

closetgeek
2010-Mar-02, 12:57 AM
Oh, SkepticJ, no! She wasn't good enough for you anyway.

kleindoofy
2010-Mar-02, 01:29 AM
The problem is, if you keep asking, you're a stalker; if you give up, she'll complain that you didn't try enough. :doh:

Middenrat
2010-Mar-02, 03:32 AM
Big Don's link seems startlingly non-sequitur :?

mugaliens
2010-Mar-02, 09:09 AM

I've already asked her out; she didn't say yes, but didn't say no.

Her last name's not Heisenburg, is it?

SkepticJ
2010-Mar-03, 03:03 AM
Her last name's not Heisenburg, is it?

Feynwoman.

LookingSkyward
2010-Mar-03, 03:38 AM
Nice!