PDA

View Full Version : Does Everybody Who's Sibling Is a Nurse...

BigDon
2010-Jan-07, 08:13 PM
become a scorge on his fellow man or is it just me?

By which I mean it seems that every time I so much as get the sniffles the Good Lord will strike some poor fellow with sinus/nasel cancer just so my sister can try to scare me into seeing a doctor.

So I get a little bit of a hitch in my right side and Sis tells me that very day some poor so and so came in a bit late with a bad appendix. And because he delayed seeing a doctor the major anti-coagulants he was taking prohibited surgery another 12 hours until his clotting factors built up enough for him to survive the surgery. So he went comatose and was being put on a ventilator when she was going off shift.

I'm starting to feel guilty about neglecting my check ups.

PetersCreek
2010-Jan-07, 08:33 PM
I don't think it's universal. My mother is a nurse...a VA nurse...and I don't get that sort of worry.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Jan-07, 09:03 PM
Does Everybody Who's Sibling Is a Nurse...
become a scourge on his fellow man or is it just me?
I think it's only those who tend to delay their checkups more than they really ought to.

Larry Jacks
2010-Jan-07, 09:03 PM
My wife is a nurse. My youngest son is a nurse (ER nurse in the Navy). My sister-in-law is a nurse and so is her daughter. We have quite a few nurses in the family. My wife isn't as bad as you describe but she does get on my case from time to time. She worked in a rehabilitation hospital for a few years, so there's no way I'll ever get her to go skiing (living in Colorado and not going skiing as practically against the law). "Do you have any idea how many radial fractures I saw?"

redshifter
2010-Jan-08, 07:55 AM
My mother-in-law is a retired nurse. She used to scare my wife and her brother with all kinds of horror stories when they were growing up. She's not so bad now though.

jokergirl
2010-Jan-08, 08:22 AM
I think it's a general malaise of any self-declared "expert" -

- but get a check-up anyway. :lol:

;)

MAPNUT
2010-Jan-08, 04:11 PM
My wife is sort of the opposite. She's an emergency room nurse at a Veterans' hospital and occasionally has to deal with an elderly patient who is "dumped" at the hospital by a son or daughter who can't be bothered with taking care of him. So she comes home and says we have to be good to our kids so they don't do that to us someday.

BigDon
2010-Jan-08, 10:11 PM
Boo gives me that a lot.

"Remember Dad, I'm picking your nursing home."