PDA

View Full Version : Call for RAW files

markyg
2010-Jan-08, 04:22 AM
Hey Guys

Let me introduce myself, my name is Mark, and I'm currently working with a good friend to create an automated application that will allow an astrophotographer to process a selection of raw images.

We're doing this by messing around with data that we already have, but we're very keen to do this on some raw images supplied from others out there in the community.

We won't be reproducing any images, selling or publishing. They will remain your property. I guess we're in need of a bigger data set than we have!

Is anyone willing to help (in the name of science :)) we would really appreciate it!

I'm just editing to also note that we plan to release this service for free, we don't have any intention of making money from it any of the software we're making. Its more of a hobby!

markyg
2010-Jan-17, 12:14 PM
hey guys.

I was just wondering if anyone had given this any thought? We are dead keen to get this project in a beta stage. Again we won't publish any images, or reproduce them. They'll only be used to fine tune our application.

As i said earlier, we'll be releasing the software for free. And would appreciate any help.

You can pm me on here, or email me at mark@aussiev8.com.au

RickJ
2010-Jan-20, 08:12 PM
I seriously doubt most imagers want to give up control of their processing to software, it is a very individual thing. Look at images posted around the net and you soon can recognize who took it just from the processing style. Is it my image if auto software takes it and then processes it? I already to the first step automatically while I sleep. I'm not about to give up the rest.

Also each image is so different from the next I don't process any two alike. Many issues require a lot of user input. I doubt any software is going to recognize complex gradients like the human eye does. This is necessary for their removal without removing the object. It can be tough for a human to tell where object ends and gradient takes over, i can't imagine any software that smart. I've tried many that claim to but none have satisfied me. Background color would need to be under user control. Some prefer a neutral background, others a slightly blue one or some other color. How far to stretch an image depends on many factors. Deciding on what local sharpening to use, what level of inverse masking to use in various steps to control a processing step and many other factors would seem far beyond any automatic software ability. AI just hasn't come that far as yet.

FITS files (if that is what you mean by raw) that have been calibrated, stacked and noise elimination already done for you are available on the net. Not all that raw however, more like rare more medium rare. http://www.spacetelescope.org/projects/fits_liberator/datasets.html
Several amateurs have sample sets on their websites for beginners to practice with. I don't have them bookmarked but should be easy to find in Google.

If you mean raw as in the DSLR format I don't know of a source of those.

The NASA images link above are cleaned of gradients, cosmic rays etc so more processed than my raw images would be and thus far easier to work with. Don't know if they've been color balanced, looking at a couple it appears they may have been making color combining a snap compared to a typical amateur's images.

Rick

chrlzs
2010-Jan-20, 08:57 PM
hey guys.

I was just wondering if anyone had given this any thought? We are dead keen to get this project in a beta stage. Again we won't publish any images, or reproduce them. They'll only be used to fine tune our application.

As i said earlier, we'll be releasing the software for free. And would appreciate any help.

I'm not a potential source, sorry, but I think you might have a better chance of success if you elaborated, eg:
- like he said, what *type* of raw files? Processing fts files v. raw files from digital cameras/ccds are two very different kettles...
- what does your software actually do?
- why is this automation desirable?
and show some examples of what you mean.

Good luck with the project anyway..

rsbfoto
2010-Jan-21, 10:44 PM
hey guys.

HI,

Interesting. What about setting up a Beta tester group for your software ?

Anyone interested could then download the software, test it and tell you how it works :)