PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in Venezuela

Swift
2010-Jan-15, 09:30 PM
Oh great, another one, though it doesn't sound as bad
CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/01/15/venezuela.earthquake/index.html?hpt=T2)

An earthquake with preliminary magnitude of 5.6 struck eastern Venezuela on Friday, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

The quake's epicenter was about 25 miles from Carupano, near the Caribbean coast in northeastern Venezuela, the agency said. It was 7 miles deep.

I hope Sigma_Orionis and other Venezuelan members are OK.

Fazor
2010-Jan-15, 09:34 PM
Add this to the small one that hit on the west coast what, last week? If they're getting this frequent already, just wait until about June of 2012!

. . . sorry. But seriously, hope things are okay down there.

Gillianren
2010-Jan-15, 09:49 PM
In an industrialized country, that's no big deal, but down there? Yeesh.

Argos
2010-Jan-15, 10:00 PM
...injuring 14 people and causing damage to a few buildings (...) Two young people, ages 9 and 26, suffered serious leg injuries, and 12 other people had minor injuries

Link

Venezuela is a medium-development country [until recently it was subsidizing oil to northeastern US communities], and Caracas a pretty modern city. Comparisons with Haiti donīt apply.

Gillianren
2010-Jan-16, 03:18 AM
Good to know. Thank you. I actually went to high school with a girl from Venezuela, but I haven't talked to her in fifteen years and never talked to her that much before then.

Swift
2010-Jan-16, 04:03 AM
I heard from Sigma_Orionis on another forum and he's fine. He's several hundred kilometers from the quake and didn't even feel it.